Thread: The Album Art Thread

The Album Art Thread

Inspired by the collages I made for Tori, I thought I'd give Madonna's discography a shot! I'll divide this up into 3 posts so as not to overload a ton of images into one.

Here we go!

01. Madonna (The First Album) - 27 July 1983 - Photography: Gary Heery

1985 Reissue - Photography: George Holz

02. Like a Virgin - 12 November 1984 - Photography: Steven Meisel

03. True Blue - 30 June 1986 - Photography: Herb Ritts

04. Like a Prayer - 21 March 1989 - Photography: Herb Ritts

05. I'm Breathless - 22 May 1990 - Photography: Patrick Demarcherlier

06. The Immaculate Collection - 9 November 1990 - Photography: Herb Ritts

07. Erotica - 20 October 1992 - Photography: Steven Meisel

08. Bedtime Stories - 25 October 1994 - Photography: Patrick Demarchelier

09. Something to Remember - 3 November 1995 - Photography: Mario Testino (this is essentially his shoot for one of Madonna's Versace campaigns that year)

10. Ray of Light - 3 March 1998 - Photography: Mario Testino

11. Music - 18 September 2000 - Photography: Jean Baptiste Mondino

12. GHV2 (Greatest Hits Volume 2) - 12 November 2001 - Photography: Regan Cameron (2001 shoot for InStyle Magazine)

13. American Life - 21 April 2003 - Photography: Craig McDean

14. Confessions on a Dance Floor - 9 November 2005 - Photography: Steven Klein

15. Hard Candy - 19 April 2008 - Photography: Steven Klein - Art direction: Giovanni Bianco

16. Celebration - 18 September 2009 - Photography: Various - Design: Mr. Brainwash

17. MDNA - 23 March 2012 - Photography: Mert and Marcus - Art direction: Giovanni Bianco

18. Rebel Heart - 6 March 2015 - Photography: Mert and Marcus

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Joey again.

YOU'RE AMAZING. Love these all so much.

She really is perfect. So very few missteps. I never really cared for the Music artwork, and Hard Candy is... well... what it is. But other than that I honestly love everything else.

"Hard Candy" is really the only terrible one, in my opinion. Even though it still would have been ridiculous, I wish she had stuck with the original "Give it to Me" concept before all the candy shit was layered on. I mean, the whole concept makes much more sense against a backdrop of boxer posters:

Still, she's incredibly consistent when it comes to her album art. Even "MDNA," which is largely terrible, has AMAZING artwork. I want the album that sounds like that.

I had to take a few liberties with some. Herb Ritts, for example, took so many gorgeous photos of her for "True Blue" and yet only ONE of them was used. Period. Just one, big fold-out album cover.

Then there's "Something to Remember" which used shots from the Versace campaign. There were only a couple of photos used in the album art, so I took the liberty of supplementing the empty space with more photos from the shoot. I did this with a few of the others, as well. The only rule was that they had to (mostly) be from the same photo session. I only strayed from this rule for the title square of "True Blue." It's still a Ritts shot, but it was taken for the Who's That Girl tour promo. Also, the title square for "Like a Virgin" is essentially a piece of the "Material Girl" single cover.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Man, you totally rock. I love these collages so much!

The Joan of Arc pics in Rebel Heart are so great to me. Especially the one in the bottom left quadrant. I love that. I also love the brunette-in-bra pictures in Like A Prayer. There's so many gorgeous and iconic pictures in her cannon. And it must be said that bra she is wearing in the MDNA pics is absolutely gorgeous!

I agree that Music and Hard Candy fall short. (I don't particularly love either of those albums, either.) But for the record American Life pics are the WORST to me, because they really don't represent the album at all, and contributed to the political distraction that turned people off from this album, which is soooo good, and so criminally unappreciated. I really, really really, wish she had called the album "M-Life" or simply "Life". But I digress...

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Fantastic, Joey!

She's had great and consistent imagery with each record. Hard Candy does stand out for the wrong reasons though.

I wish there were more Rebel Heart and MDNA photos out (at least in HQ for the latter one) as they're really great.

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    I wish there were more Rebel Heart and MDNA photos out (at least in HQ for the latter one) as they're really great.
    I have several for both of those albums, actually. Some of them are UHQ. I wish, though, that a high quality version of the black and white Joan of Arc photo had surfaced. I may just have to scan that from my vinyl.

Also, at least when it came to making these collages, the newer albums were much easier to do given that HQ digital files are so readily available. The older stuff was tricky. Everything comes from different sources/scans so it took forever to color balance some of them so that all the photos looked as similar in tone/contrast/saturation as I could make them. Ray of Light was a BITCH.

WOW these are stunning, I'm amazed by how much work you've put into them. Kudos. The Bedtime Stories era set looks especially delicious. Also, those Hard Candy backdrops really destroyed what could have been a stylish shoot for her - so garish and tacky.

These are incredible!
    Persona, fave is the Herb Ritts shoot for the Immaculate Collection.

Well done for getting these together!