Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTW: Reindeer King

SOTW: Reindeer King

Share your thoughts on Reindeer King here.

The song has premiered on W Magazine.

If Native Invader is, as Amos describes it, “a record of division and conflict,” “Reindeer King” is a metaphysical introduction to those ideas. It opens with a pounding swirl of piano (and, in the video, images of a frosted landscape, quartz crystals, and prowling wolves) before Amos’s voice comes through: “Crystal core, your mind has been divided from your soul,” she sings. “Crystal core, you are the still point of the turning world, the divide, fearing death, desiring life.” The titular Reindeer King, a mythic figure, bridges this divide, urging Amos’s narrator again and again, “Gotta get you back to you.”

But as much as “Reindeer King” establishes the introspective tone of the record, it also finds inspiration in a larger perspective. Amos observed images coming in from NASA’s Cassini probe, which began darting between Saturn’s rings earlier this year and has sent home images of the rings and moons of Jupiter and Saturn since it began broadcasting more than a decade ago. These, synthesized with images of a frozen landscape, produced “Reindeer King”: “For years, people had told me about the magical atmosphere that happens when bodies of water freeze over and hundreds of people ice skate for miles and miles and miles,” she wrote via email, pointing to the track’s romantic final verse.

“You know that I would skate, skate all the way, just to hold your hand, to take away your pain,” she sings. “You know that I would skate from Scandinavia all the way to the moons of Jupiter with you ... I’ve just come from the Reindeer King.”
    Live on Polish Radio 3 - 24/08/2017

Last edited by Rabih; 08-24-2017 at 10:43 PM.

I can't wait to get home and listen!

Grr, Tor brownser won't work for me, at least not from work.

I don't suppose it works on a phone, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I don't suppose it works on a phone, does it?
    Not on mine, and I tried 3 VPN browser tricks...
    post28!

first post here ever (following this forum.. well, silent all these years), but couldn't resist.
    It's the first time i've had goosebumps listening to Tori track since i-don't-know-when.
    So many gorgeous moments here, but none as beautiful as "to the moons of jupiter". That just killed me.
    Voice sounds great as well.

Tried to listen again on TOR browser and it's geo-restricted there as well...
    Last edited by tomasch; 08-23-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Shit, I couldn't wait another two weeks.

I had tears come out through my eyes closed in the beginning. It's very classic Tori but at the same time follows the trend of the previous NI songs and creates a whole new atmosphere.

For me, it's in the same league of epic openers as Bliss.
    And I can understand where the comparison to Oysters comes from, but compared to this Oysters kinda stinks.

I hope the actual song sounds less... muffled in its HQ version though.
    Last edited by Tashelorette; 08-23-2017 at 02:16 PM.

I am speechless.

Jesus, this song

*dies
    Past a shooting star

It's certainly a BOLD album opener. Sounds more like a closer to me. What a daring choice.

I also agree that it's classic Tori that harkens back to many of her earlier works, but the atmosphere is very...new and fresh.

Tor wouldn't work on my android phone either, it actually loaded it and showed me the cover picture but when I tried to play it it said 'oops something went wrong' lol

So I am living for your descriptions of it right now!

Dam it, I can't hear it!

I still didn't hear the song but I'm a bit anxious about this one because I know I will love it and the album will be kind of a let down after hearing this one :/
    Still can't wait to listen to this though

What a song to start an album with. It really feels like the beginning of a sonic journey and I am literally on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the places it's going to visit. This is the first time in a long time I've had goosebumps listening to a studio recording of hers.

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmejosef View Post
    This is the first time in a long time I've had goosebumps listening to a studio recording of hers.
    Signed!