Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Y Kant Tori Read 30th Anniversary Re-release | Now released

Y Kant Tori Read 30th Anniversary Re-release | Now released

A remaster of Y Kant Tori Read is now available on digital and streaming outlets for the 30th anniversary of the album. Originally Tori said this would be out in November. No word yet on if or when a physical version may surface, or if this will be a digital-only release.

The idea was first mentioned in Noah Michelson's interview with Tori at HuffPost on August 21:

On your last tour, you played almost all of the songs from “Y Kant Tori Read” [the much-maligned first album Tori released with her band, also known as Y Kant Tori Read, in 1988, several years before she released her critically acclaimed debut solo album, “Little Earthquakes”] ― something you’d never really done before. Does this mean you’ve made peace with that album and is there any chance of you ever putting out a reissue?

Its 30th anniversary is coming up! And, yes, I’ve made peace with it.

So would you consider reissuing it?

I’m considering it.

Get on it, girl. It’s one of my favorite albums.

It is?!

It is! I think when you strip away the hairspray and the clothes and you listen to the actual songs ― the melodies, the piano lines encased in this wonderfully indulgent glam pop ― it’s a killer album and a lot of fun. Even ― especially? ― 30 years later.

I think if I had [stylist] Karen Binns in my life then, it would have been a different visual and because she’s had such an influence in my life, that would have seeped through. But I met her in 1991. She wasn’t part of the “Little Earthquakes” package styling, but we were friends. And then she became part of the whole look from then on. So if she had been there from the beginning, things might have been very different.
    Tori seemed to confirm this in a conversation with the host of Sunday Brunch on Channel 4 after the show aired a clip of The Big Picture during an interview on August 27:

Is it true you're re-releasing that?

Yeah, it's almost thirty years. So it'll be in November.

So you're re-releasing it?

Yeah.
    Tori was asked about the re-issue at an album launch party/mini-concert on August 30. This message was relayed from a fan on a Tori Amos Facebook group:

I asked her about the reissue of YKTR that she mentioned on uk tv this Sunday just gone and she confirmed a November 2017 release! Xx

Y Kant Tori Read - November rerelease

Nothing deserves its own thread more than this amazing news! And November! That's awesome!

I hope we finally get a good quality version of Car Full Of Boys. And if they manage to dig up some solo piano demos of the album tracks that would really rock my world. I wonder when we'll get details!
    Last edited by dollsbitches; 08-31-2017 at 09:00 AM.

So is this official? Like really really really happening?

Edit: oh god, yes, it's official. Please, let second cd has version of piano and voice.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Wasn't it only just recently suggested to her in Noah's interview. November seems awfully soon unless they are literally just rereleasing it and not doing anything else for it. When would they have time to work on it? (Unless they already have been...)

Yeah I think November is just the 30th anniversary but the release will probably be later (or she's talking out her ass). No way they have time to think about it mid-tour. Do we even know if she actually owns the masters?

According to Wikipedia, YKTR was released on January 6, 1988.

She bought the rights years ago to prevent Atlantic from rereleasing it which I'm assuming means she has been holding onto the masters. While I'm cautious about this actually happening, it makes sense to release it while she already has fans' attention in the wake of a new album (holiday season doesn't hurt either). If she's dropping hints about it I would assume the work has already been done. I'm wondering if she will release this only as a digital release but would love for it to be in a physical format.
    Last edited by promo78; 08-28-2017 at 01:06 AM.

Ooooh - I want a good quality version of Looking for Eldorado!!! Could you imagine if she paired this with a second disc of things like Just Ellen and Baltimore?!?!? And other goodies...
    Robbing the muse...

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm still not sure if she heard the host of Sunday Brunch properly. Hopefully someone can ask her in an upcoming interview or at a M&G. I'd love to have this remastered.

Fond 2014 YKTR memories under the spoiler, in honor of the potential reissue.

I hope this gets vinyl too; I've been spending the last year or so waiting for a copy I can afford that doesn't look completely shredded in pictures.

What are the chances we get Fayth, You Go To My Head and Heart Attack At 23 this tour? (I don't need any of them - she really already hit the YKTR high points last tour - but it's nice to have a complete set!)

Last edited by Nick; 08-28-2017 at 02:26 AM.

I'm sorry... where did you get this release info from?

Tori was Channel 4's Sunday Brunch in the UK and they played a clip of The Big Picture. Then this conversation happened:

Host: Is it true you're re-releasing that?
    Tori: Yeah, it's almost thirty years. So it'll be in November.
    Host: So you're re-releasing it?
    Tori: Yeah.

It was very brief and almost dismissive/downplayed so either she didn't want to talk about it yet or she didn't hear the question properly (even though he repeated it twice).

We also had the following from Noah.

On your last tour, you played almost all of the songs from “Y Kant Tori Read” [the much-maligned first album Tori released with her band, also known as Y Kant Tori Read, in 1988, several years before she released her critically acclaimed debut solo album, “Little Earthquakes”] ― something you’d never really done before. Does this mean you’ve made peace with that album and is there any chance of you ever putting out a reissue?

Its 30th anniversary is coming up! And, yes, I’ve made peace with it.

So would you consider reissuing it?

I’m considering it.

Get on it, girl. It’s one of my favorite albums.

It is?!

It is! I think when you strip away the hairspray and the clothes and you listen to the actual songs ― the melodies, the piano lines encased in this wonderfully indulgent glam pop ― it’s a killer album and a lot of fun. Even ― especially? ― 30 years later.

I think if I had [stylist] Karen Binns in my life then, it would have been a different visual and because she’s had such an influence in my life, that would have seeped through. But I met her in 1991. She wasn’t part of the “Little Earthquakes” package styling, but we were friends. And then she became part of the whole look from then on. So if she had been there from the beginning, things might have been very different.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I'd love for her to re-record it kind of like how Alanis did with Jagged Little Pill re-release.
    They have time for that and almost anything really since the anniversary is next year.

They could do it during the tour. Didn't TLP album get recorded during her tour? Tori can multi-task.

Thank God for Noah!
    Last edited by Volta; 08-28-2017 at 03:03 AM.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

If she were to release new recordings, I would hope she just makes it a live compilation. After what she did to Mary and Sweet Dreams, as well as most of Gold Dust, I shudder to think of these songs getting the ADP treatment. She has some incredible live performances in her fault. Absolutely incredible.