Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Y Kant Tori Read 30th Anniversary Re-release | Now Released

I am a lover of 80s music, and I have enjoyed YKTR over the years. But yeah, Cool On Your Island is boring as fuck to me. I hate seeing it on set lists when she tours.

A Little Dust the new prosecutor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Apologies if this was already posted, but HuffPo did a really interesting analysis of YKTR. He likes it more than I do, but I agree with most of his points.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0bef3378cda28
    Thanks for sharing! I'm a big supporter of this album (minus a song or two). This was a very thoughtful and accurate retrospective/tribute piece. Love that the album is finally getting the respect and exposure it deserves.

I gave it a listen. Didn't notice much about the sound. As I do have a pretty good copy of it. It was worth the 8 bucks!

The only song I really like is Cool On Your Island! I bought that one, but I prefer solo Tori version (some are too slow and dirge-like though). I don't mind The Big Picture, On the Boundary, Fire on the Side and Etienne but I don't think I would actually pay real money to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Apologies if this was already posted, but HuffPo did a really interesting analysis of YKTR. He likes it more than I do, but I agree with most of his points.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0bef3378cda28
    I love this:

"It’s truly stunning that at age 25, forced into a 1980s rock-bimbo box, Amos’s first album dealt with pirates and floating cities and culminated in her ruminating about the possibility of having been a Scottish witch in a past or parallel life and then, after having forged her own alternative-pop identity spanning everything from rock to electronica to her own incomprehensibly successful harpsichord-driven Southern Baroque folk-rock, decades later she made a classical album in which...she explored having been a pagan Irish warrior-poet in a past life. For all the ups and downs and musical exploration of her career, from her 20s through her 50s, Amos has retained a unique and fantastical point of view that explores the confluence of archetypal myth and personal identity.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Steel drums are only ok if you're Fever Ray or The Knife.

COYI bridge sounds like Steve Winwood. No thanks.

There's saxophones on Heart Attack at 23... again, no means no. Get Kenny G out of that Pat Benatar track now.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Seriously?! That is amazing to me.
    It's fun. Not everything has to be 'serious' with some bullshit concept concocted to sell it, unless hairspray and skin-tight pleather was the 'concept' for YKTR. Still, I'd take that over dolls, road maps or seed packets any day.

Apparently she confirmed a physical release for November at the M&G last night.

Quote Originally Posted by fluteoftheloon View Post
    Yay!
    They say you were something in those formative years...

I will buy it then!

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Do we think this will be on vinyl? I'd love a copy on vinyl!

I've been eyeing a copy for a lot of money, so I do hope we get vinyl (though is it weird that I still kind of want an original even though its resell/collector value may crash now?).

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    You Go to My Head is probably the worst thing on the album, but there's something about the vocal delivery at the end of the song that really gets me.

That´s great news. Thanks!

Depth is the greatest of heights whenthepawn's Avatar
    OMG. I'm holding off till then—unless it never surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    You Go to My Head is probably the worst thing on the album
    Are you serious? That and Cool On Your Island have always been the only songs I can stand to listen to. I love YGtMH!