Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: SOTW: Wings

Daedalus and Icarus is one of the most known ancient Greek myths Basically it's a story about Daedalus, a famous architect/designer and his son, Icarus. Daedalus was invited to the kingdom of Crete by King Minos to build a labyrinth (another word for labyrinth in Modern Greek is ''daedalos''). His relationship with the King however deteriorated, but the King would not let him and his son leave Crete. So Daedalus made this wing construction for him and his song, which he fixed on their arms with wax. They managed to fly away, and Daedalus had warned Icarus to not fly too close to the sun, otherwise the wax would melt and the feathers of the wings would fall off. At a certain point though, Icarus was fascinated and started flying higher and higher, ignoring his father's warning. The sun ended up melting the wax and Icarus fell to his death in what was later named Icarian sea in his honour (The Greek island of Icaria is also named after him - information on the myth here: https://www.greekmyths-greekmytholog...us-and-icarus/).

So I think this is definitely a deliberate reference from Tori!

^ What he said hahaha

But yeah, Icarus' desire to fly higher and higher has been interpreted in many ways, mostly as over-ambition or hubris. It's a poignant reference in the context of the song.

The myth also inspired one of my favorite paintings, The Flight of Icarus, by Jacob Peter Gowy.

The high quality ITunes on headphones makes the song more lush and full. It sounds amazing to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    The high quality ITunes on headphones makes the song more lush and full. It sounds amazing to me now.
    Agreed - iTunes version sounds lovely! Love this song!
    Robbing the muse...

this one is definitely a grower.
    incredible the first animal that dreamed of another animal

I'm still thinking it shouldn't have been on the album. Definitely sounds like a lost AATS track.

'So we built you some wings to help you to flee from your demanding dark angel, and me.' This line really intrigues me. Brings to mind 'your liquid mistress' from NOH. Seems to be a recurring theme of someone or something pulling the figure she's addressing into a dark place, something at once seductive and damaging. Perhaps just a state of mind, maybe a substance issue? A different example of how 'your mind has been divided from your soul', possibly, linking it back to the previous song.

I've come 360 with this. I hated it and now I love it! The power of Tori!

Did anyone else think she was singing "echo Nazi" instead of "I could not see"?

If anyone could identify the type of drum/percussion that is used to fill between chorus lines id be very thankful. Metal sounding, makes me think of Frozen by Madonna
    Last edited by torifan101; 11-16-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Isn't it just a steel drum sound - which is why you say "metal sounding"?
    Robbing the muse...

Oh wow. I still hate it. Can't do anything about it, it might be my new Maybe California and I feel sorry because I think the album is 500 miles beyond AATS or even UG.

I’m absolutely in love with this song. It’s got maybe the best melody on the album in its chorus.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    Isn't it just a steel drum sound - which is why you say "metal sounding"?
    Thanks, yea that makes so much sense when you say it like that! Haha, but no... that's not what I understand a steel drum to be. A steel drum is more the sound of the instrument in the middle eight of 'Under the Sea' from the Little Mermaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Domandapiano View Post
    I’m absolutely in love with this song. It’s got maybe the best melody on the album in its chorus.
    I think you might be right. Her voice to me is shrill af but the little melody line 'never meant to hurt you' kicks ass, but I have to say it also sounds overly familiar. I can't work out why though, and it's not Midge Ure I'm thinking of...

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Did anyone else think she was singing "echo Nazi" instead of "I could not see"?
    I knew what she’s actually saying, but it always sounds like “echo Nazi” to me, and I can’t unhear it!