Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTW: Benjamin

SOTW: Benjamin

Premiere of the track Benjamin on the German MDR Kultur (around minute 42). Starting minute 36, there is a talk about the album in German. Cloud Riders is also played.

Share your thoughts about the song here.
    Last edited by Rabih; 09-04-2017 at 10:18 PM.

...digital ghost... SonglessRobin's Avatar
    Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but this German radio station has premiered "Benjamin":

http://www.mdr.de/kultur/themen/musi...ungen-100.html

It's there, around the 42:00 minutes mark. I'm listening to it right now and I quite enjoy it!!!

he's our commander still stuper venus's Avatar
    They played Benjamin on some radio show today. It's a bit after the 42 minute mark

haha. I guess the poster above me was posting while I was posting. I like the song. It's not bad.

I just heard "Benjamin" in full and... I love it. Everything about it. It's just a great song, not a standout track, for sure, but a song I enjoy listening to as part of an album.

I don't know how to eloquently phrase my thoughts right now, but let me just say this: she simply nailed the exact thing she was trying to achieve with "Benjamin." It's witty, it's deliberately quirky, and yet thoughtful and poignant. To write a song like this, contain such a theme and come up with a supporting composition without having it end up as a reductive cliché is the supreme discipline, I find. To write heartfelt, gut-wrenching, chagrin driven balladry is challenging as well, but I think the biggest challenge is to turn to the kind of song format she conceived "Benjamin" in. I really feel like giving her a standing ovation, a hug and a good tap on the shoulder now!

***edit: what I love most about this song is how she's successfully melodised those blunt lyrics to a point where I am no longer even listening to what she's singing about.
    Last edited by theycallmejosef; 09-04-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Very Elton John perhaps? But definitely Tori!

Really love this!!!
    Robbing the muse...

I just heard Benjamin. Of all the tracks so far it's the least interesting. I get why some people are hearing AATS in this album

Quote Originally Posted by stuper venus View Post
    They played Benjamin on some radio show today. It's a bit after the 42 minute mark

haha. I guess the poster above me was posting while I was posting. I like the song. It's not bad.

Damn! Its soo much better than the short clip, I love it!!! Its totally classic quirky Tori, like some of her LE era tracks, and the guitar doesnt feel so bad.

...digital ghost... SonglessRobin's Avatar
    Right now, I prefer "Benjamin" to "Wings", to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    Very Elton John perhaps? But definitely Tori!
    I know! Yes!

I don't really want to draw in comparisons, but there are quite a few artists that come to mind (e.g. Kate). She's mastered this song format like several other respected singer-songwriters have in the past. It's not exactly a silly song, but it's certainly the first fully produced song in that vein that I find to be credible.

kate bush moment, kete bush moment zzzz Bejamin is cool but my least favourite so far
    Last edited by Alamo; 09-04-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Benjiamin is... well nice, kinda like toodles mr jim or something, but not very interesting. Not cringeworthy, though.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

I'm getting ready for a three hour car trip! So glad I checked the forums ( in case I needed to download something lol) and found out about Benjamin! Now I'm excited for the trip! Benjamin and YKTR here I come! And btw, I'm in the smokies right now. Was so hoping to have the album for this past weekend for obvious reasons.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Benjiamin is... well nice, kinda like toodles mr jim or something, but not very interesting. Not cringeworthy, though.

Its like a modern version of her old LE Happy Phantom type songs, and I LOVE those type of songs from Tori, quirky, smart, and yet light but addressing serious topics. Much, much, MUCH better than tracks like Giants Rolling Pin, Programable Soda, etc.

Benjamin > Wings

If that's the GRP of NI I'm very happy. I don't love it at first listen, but there seems to be some nifty bits here and there. And I really like the vocal.