Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: SOTW: Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by jacob's room View Post
    Can I ask a REALLY dumb question? Benjamin IS Franklin, right?

Why a bat? And why bats in Bats?

I mean, I LOVE bats, and love that Tori now has a song called Bats, but I'm not seeing the connection between the animals and these two songs? Bats feature HEAVILY in mythology around the globe, but I'm still not seeing the connection. :/

I think this is what's preventing me from connecting to these two, which is kind of a bummer, because as I said, I REALLY love bats. Like. Top 3 favorite animals.
    I don't think it is Benjamin Franklin. I think it's just some science nerd dude. She's mentioned in a few interviews about getting connected with science people.

But wasn't Benjamin Franklin a science nerd dude in his time? Hahaha

I thought maybe he was an archetype of sorts.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I did a little research a while back and because of the reference in Bats to someone teaching at William and Mary I looked into professors called Benjamin and found this social science guy who if you search his name has a lot of photos of himself with many powerful democrats so I have a feeling they are somehow connected. He's also a consultant with an interesting bio. Check out his photos page:

http://www.benbolger.com/photos.html

http://www.bolgerstrategic.com/Admis...ackground.html
    Last edited by andy; 09-08-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I did a little research a while back and because of the reference in Bats to someone teaching at William and Mary I looked into professors called Benjamin and found this social science guy who if you search his name has a lot of photos of himself with many powerful democrats so I have a feeling they are somehow connected. He's also a consultant with an interesting bio. Check out his photos page:

http://www.benbolger.com/photos.html

http://www.bolgerstrategic.com/Admis...ackground.html
    It makes sense that that is him. He got his own song, and a nod in another! Lucky.

A+ on your stalking skills

When I first heard Benjamin on Jonathan Ross' radio show, I went, ''oh no, I don't like this'' and felt a bit disappointed. However, listening to it in the context of the album, I changed my mind: I now love its quirkiness, its 70's feel, Tori's playfulness and the shout-out to the science/computer wizz kids that could help us in this war against reality and truth. Its placement before ''Mary's eyes'' is like taking a small pause for fresh air before you dive into the epicness of the last track. Finally, a light song that packs a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by sk81 View Post
    When I first heard Benjamin on Jonathan Ross' radio show, I went, ''oh no, I don't like this'' and felt a bit disappointed. However, listening to it in the context of the album, I changed my mind: I now love its quirkiness, its 70's feel, Tori's playfulness and the shout-out to the science/computer wizz kids that could help us in this war against reality and truth. Its placement before ''Mary's eyes'' is like taking a small pause for fresh air before you dive into the epicness of the last track. Finally, a light song that packs a punch.
    100% agreed. I felt a bit disappointed on first listen. Now it's one of my favourites, just by being after Climb and before Mary's Eyes. The sequencing is top notch I think. It's a serious topic but the music is fun, laissez-faire, kick your foot out. The 70s influence is real.

Tori goes Elton John/The Kick Inside. this was one of the first songs that grabbed my attention

Benjamin may be my favorite track on NI, no joke. IMO, it could've been an UTP era b-side. I LOVE the melody, the groove, the glam. I think it's possibly the first glam rock, 70's stomp song I've heard that concerns politics in such a way. That light, funky rhythm coupled with the ear wormy melody makes me wet. I LIVE for the "thread of life/measured quick/ spin then.......snip" part. It's so playful and bitchy at the same time. Would love to see her do this live with a band.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    It is actually "Bouncing Off Clouds crossed with Smokey Joe. Fuck!" Tori texted me and told me that. So there is that.

Benjamin sounds nothing like the 2 songs you mentioned. Perhaps listen again and open your mind...

^ Sorry to be a bitch but your post makes no sense.
    Fuck, you are very annoying! And really not even for this post, for all all the other posts in other threads. If someone doesn't like the new album that much you have something to say to them.
    My face screams without an emotion

Seriously. Give it a rest, Beelust.

Does anyone else here the intro to "Butterfly" at the way beginning of "Benjamin?"

While listening to this song, I simply cannot get rid of the association I have of Tori corresponding with her computer bat friend, 1993 Dana Scully style.

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmejosef View Post
    While listening to this song, I simply cannot get rid of the association I have of Tori corresponding with her computer bat friend, 1993 Dana Scully style.

OMG THIS IS PERFECT.

I have a strong suspicion "Benjamin" is Benjamin Franta. He's a climate scholar at the forefront of the fossil fuel divestment movement and prolific writer (both academic and for mainstream media). He's also a physicist and climate policy historian (At the back of the record store; With tapes you secured; Prove the extent of their viciousness; As they purge our scientists; My computer bat hunts for facts). He's also young AF and kind of a ninja. I know Tori isn't usually literal with her song characters but he's certainly someone she'd have come across during her (computer) research for the album (she said she was hanging out in academic science forums). Definitely someone I could see her admiring and wanting to meet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/bafranta-290
    https://twitter.com/benfranta?lang=en