Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: SOTW: Benjamin

While listening to this song, I simply cannot get rid of the association I have of Tori corresponding with her computer bat friend, 1993 Dana Scully style.

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmejosef View Post
    While listening to this song, I simply cannot get rid of the association I have of Tori corresponding with her computer bat friend, 1993 Dana Scully style.

OMG THIS IS PERFECT.

I have a strong suspicion "Benjamin" is Benjamin Franta. He's a climate scholar at the forefront of the fossil fuel divestment movement and prolific writer (both academic and for mainstream media). He's also a physicist and climate policy historian (At the back of the record store; With tapes you secured; Prove the extent of their viciousness; As they purge our scientists; My computer bat hunts for facts). He's also young AF and kind of a ninja. I know Tori isn't usually literal with her song characters but he's certainly someone she'd have come across during her (computer) research for the album (she said she was hanging out in academic science forums). Definitely someone I could see her admiring and wanting to meet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/bafranta-290
    https://twitter.com/benfranta?lang=en

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theycallmejosef View Post

HELLO

I KNOW THAT YOU'VE BEEN FEELING TIRED

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    I didn't like this song at first, but it's grown on me and really fits well on the album.

Also, I was searching for the Juliana reference and found this.

I think there is a lot of distraction right now, while things are happening. It shocks me that people are talking about... the erosion that's happening at the Environmental Protection Agency: protecting whom? Protecting what -- the American oligarchs? That's the shocker for me -- what's going on in the courts, Juliana vs United States [a case which inspired the track "Benjamin"], the Water Protectors for Lakota nation -- those things that we only hear snippets about now. The distractions are there. And, look, I know that people in New York are consumed with yet another tweet and, if you're a political journalist, that's fine. You have to be on the front line, you've got to know what's going on, that's your gig. But if your gig is something else and you're not doing that gig because you're being diverted, then you've taken yourself away -- you're not seeing things, you're just a consumer. [The 405 - September 5, 2017]

http://www.yessaid.com/lyrics/2017na...2benjamin.html

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I love this. Her voice is amazing on it, it's fun and insanely catchy, and the production on her voice and the guitar is perfect for it.

Yeah, this song is definitely in my top 4 on the album. It's so fun! The lyrics are also great, with the exception of the weird "fossil fuel industry" line that feels like a puzzle piece someone tried to shove into the wrong spot. It also just SOUNDS great. The piano/guitar/drums feel so full of life and energy. The drum breakdown after she sings "my computer bat hunts for facts" is so awesome.

I just can't get with the first part of the song. The opening line. Eh. I love the other parts of it, but I can't stand the chorus.