Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTW: Benjamin

Meh. Didn't like it. It does sound Kate Bush-y, but I dont't know, it's not a sound that I go to Tori for. And I love when she experiments, but for me, it's a no.

Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    Benjamin is my least favourite.
    Mine too. I think I need to sit with it and listen to it a few more times

After a second listen while reading the lyrics (though on shitty lap top speakers) I like it better. I doubt it's ever going to be favorite though. And yeah, there is a little bit of early Kate Bush or Elton John about it.

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    Erm, I'm loving this.

an island of such great complexity justin's Avatar
    better than wings, for sure.

And there i was,saying to myself i wouldn't be listening to anymore songs or clips until the weekend when the album is officially out...darn it! Actually, even though down the years i've been telling people around me who dismiss Tori as a Kate Bush lite singer that they don't know what they are talking about....Benjamin is pretty Kate like in style.......but i really liked it on first hearing......it has a charm of its own and i like the vocal and guitar production throughout.Plus it is fresh and sounds nothing like the previous four tracks we've heard......so, it's a thumbs up from me.However, i need to keep telling myself to stop listening to any of the additional songs as i will have nothing to look forward to at the weekend !!! Patience is called for!!!!

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Hmm. I probably don't need to hear that again.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Hmm. I probably don't need to hear that again.
    My sentiment exactly.

I understand she likes to put these 'lighter / quirky' songs in her albums to leven the mood, but really, she just can't seem to do them well anymore. And if they're not done reaaallly well .... oh dear.

Still, it's nowhere near as bad as Mary Jane or GRP etc. I just wish she'd get over the need to lighten the mood.

What did the German journalist say? I only understand Kate Bush moment (100% legit observation :d) and Benjamin-Ninja Ben.

This a silly/serious song I needed! I imagine that if GRP actually sounded do great, I'd totally forgive its cringy lyrics. I can't get over how amazing she sings. Incredible voice. Hard top believe it belongs to the same album as Wings

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    I sounds like "Room for the Life" and "Symphony in Blue" and maybe something from a Hayomi Azaki film. I LOVE THIS but it does seem hilarious that she would do something so unabashedly Kate-esque at this stage in the game, right down to the Japanese novelty feel (and the crap AC pop they have over there.) My biggest disappointment is that the lyric is NOT "my computer backpack" like I first thought. That's a perfect line ffs.

Hmmm. It is better than GRP, Mr Bad Man and Mary Jane but overall it is just ok. I like Wings much better (which has been in my head all weekend). If this is a low point of the album, I will be very happy.

Why is everyone hating on dear Benji??!?!?

Robbing the muse...

LOVE IT. Clips are shit for sure. I thought I heard Elton in the clip and instead it's early Kate ( I hear Kite from TKI)! The quirky melodic surprises makes me think it could be an UTP era b-side. I have yet to hear something I haven't loved!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

@Kari! I need your reaction! @Nancy and @menju56 yours too! Especially with how Kate this sounds!
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I don't love it but this will be first short/quirky song I don't skip or remove from my playlist in at least a decade. So, that's pretty good