Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: From The Choirgirl Hotel Remaster/Re-issue (2018)

From The Choirgirl Hotel Remaster/Re-issue (2018)

There was some discussion regarding whether or not Choirgirl would see a remaster, but Tori seems to confirm in this new interview from The 405 that there is indeed a release in the works.

A well-known characteristic of Tori's 1990s output is the quality of her b-sides, which were often just as good as (if not – at times - stronger than) some of the tracks that had made the final cut of their era's respective long-players. Choirgirl was no different ('Cooling' is a stunning instance in point). With next year's planned anniversary re-issue of Choirgirl, before our time is up I ask Tori whether these musical siblings will be involved in the celebration. "Oh, we will definitely involve them," she says with a smile. "There are not as many for that album as there were for, say – Pele, there were more to choose from. But they'll be involved."
    We'll update this thread as we hear more about the release.

This was the first album to be recorded in her own studio so there must be a lot of unreleased songs that even Atlantic never heard about (I hope so anyway!).

Remastered Violet's Eyes please!!!
    They say you were something in those formative years...

Really can't wait for this one. To be fair, Choirgirl actually sounds good as it is, but I think the remaster will do a good job of bringing out so many of the smaller details in the production. Unlike her first three albums, this one features extremely dense and intricate soundscapes; there's always more to discover.

Sometimes the production on this can sound a bit muddy or tinny at loud volumes, at least to my ears. Choirgirl is pretty much perfect to me but a few minor tweaks may be beneficial.

I'm really hoping we get a bunch of demos to fill out a second disc since the b-side material is fairly scarce. My big fear is we'll just get all the Raspberry Swirl and Jackie's Strength mixes. I'd really love that elusive demo CD that featured Violet's Eyes but also I think a solo Spark and an early Hotel.

Can't wait for this one and to see what she includes on the bonus CD. There aren't enough B-sides to fill it, so maybe live tracks, unreleased tracks, alternate takes? Solo piano demo's of songs from early sessions when she was writing?
    ~just an underwater thing~

I guess we'll have five b-sides (if she can get the rights for Have Yourself...), maybe one demo and one new song, and a shitload of remixes.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

We have Cooling, Beulah Land, Never Seen Blue, Purple People, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Christmas in Space), Do It Again and Bachelorette. The only remixes I care about are the Lip Gloss Version of "Raspberry Swirl", which is even better than the album cut, and the Wedding Cake Mix of "Jackie's Strength" which is not good but a whole lot of cheesy fun.

My only question is, do you think she'll include any of her contributions to the Great Expectations soundtrack? I'd kill to hear her original, uncut version of "Siren".

CHOIRGIRL VINYL

So, what will in include?

Purple People
    Bachelorette
    Cooling
    Never Seen Blue
    Beulah Land
    Merman
    Do It Again
    Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    Spark (instrumental)
    Raspberry Swirl (Lip Gloss Version)
    Ambient Raspberry Swirl (Scarlet Spectrum Feels)
    Mainline Cherry (Ambient Spark)
    Cruel (Shady Feline Mix)
    Raspberry Swirl (Sticky Extended Vocal Mix)
    Jackie's Strength (Wedding Cake Edit)
    Father Lucifer (Sylkscreen Remix Instrumental)

Plus any number of live recordings from the Plugged Tour

If there's no other studio content, my dream is that she includes either some unreleased recordings from the Plugged tour, or throws on her set from Sessions at West 54th (iieee!!!! but really that whole performance was fantastic). Beth Orton included her Sessions set in her Central Reservation reissue in 2014.

Some live '98 version of iiee needs to be released somewhere!

I hope there's previously unreleased material, like BFP's.

I think an interesting question in general for an interview would be to find out if there's anything left in the vaults or if she's completely blown her load on the LE-BfP eras. I'm sure there are tons of live recordings and maybe some demos, but I suspect that between finishing the tracks for A Piano and digging up Sucker/Motormaids for the Pele re-release that she (sadly) might have given us the last of the studio stuff she recorded beyond demo form.

I'd kill for Horses '98 soundboard to be on this.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    I'd kill for Horses '98 soundboard to be on this.
    Wasn't there a bunch of songs that she eventually left off of Venus disc 2, but that caused a debate because nobody could agree on their inclusion? They were all mixed for inclusion, from what I remember.