Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: From The Choirgirl Hotel Remaster/Re-issue (2018)

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This is going to be an unpopular opinion but I do not care for the Sessions @ W 54th performance. I can think of lots of shows with better versions of those songs.
    Oh yeah!! Such as!! j/k I do remember hearing pretty similar versions of iiieee from around the same time (autumn of '98?) and that was the best song from the set. I never cared for this version of CALS tbh, the guitar is too much. Everything else was good but not exceptionally so.... also the mixing is terrible even on the HQ audio I've found.

That Sessions performance is peak Tori for me; excellent communication with the band, amazing vocals, passionate piano and that iieee is heartbreaking. Even the song selection is A+. I watched that tape 1000 times.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I love her presence in that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    ^ YES! With Horses, Talula, Siren, Graveyard/Tear In Your Hand, Father Lucifer, i i e e e, Caught a Lite Sneeze. Hell, a proper release of Sessions @W54th even!
    Yes! I love all those arrangements. I remember getting Graveyard/Tear In Your Hand at a couple of my shows, and that moment when the beat drops to Tear In Your Hand is perfection.

I think she did a great job translating every track live. I'd love a good soundboard version of live Pandora and Liquid Diamonds.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    There's at least one soundboard radio broadcast of Liquid Diamonds and Horses from 1998. But they're old broadcasts so the quality is ehhh.

There are NO soundboard, nor official bootleg versions of Pandora or Talula (I'm not counting the boring tornado mix version, and not Baloise either!!!)... kind of strange for two songs that have been played quite a bit over the years, that we don't have an official or at least "Sessions" type version.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    In another universe, there is a world where she actually released recordings of her good tours instead of... well.

I would love for her team to set up a page on the official web site for us to submit or vote on our favorite plugged tour songs to include on a live disc. Or even to vote on live shows that were the best. It's 1999, but I will always advocate for a soundboard quality of the solo London show. That set was phenomenal!
    | don't be afraid ||- we're just waking up -|| and I hear help is on the way |

Quote Originally Posted by patteraren View Post
    I would love for her team to set up a page on the official web site for us to submit or vote on our favorite plugged tour songs to include on a live disc. Or even to vote on live shows that were the best. It's 1999, but I will always advocate for a soundboard quality of the solo London show. That set was phenomenal!
    this is a great idea. and surely something like this this would make them a profit? i would much rather have this than a remastered choirgirl.

I'm really surprised that Tori and her team haven't considered putting out some Digital Only live recordings from recent tours. I get that Mark was clearly burned out on the work that went into the Legs&Boots, but surely a digital release of "highlights" or select shows from a few tours would be a better way to do it.
    She knows that we're clamoring for more live stuff...

I might be wrong about this, but didn't the Legs And Boots were available the very next day after the concert? Because if that was the case, yes, it's understandable that Mark got tired.
    But they could do release one concert every 15 days, two per months... That would be awesome.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    I might be wrong about this, but didn't the Legs And Boots were available the very next day after the concert? Because if that was the case, yes, it's understandable that Mark got tired.
    But they could do release one concert every 15 days, two per months... That would be awesome.
    Hell I'd settle for one or two a year!
    It's just there's so much potential there, it's a shame that they're not making the most of it.

The only reasonable explanation why they don't release already recorded shows and take a lot of my money for it is that they might treat it as retirement fund. Were they to start to release them now, we would have enough of them by the end of Tori's career.

Or they just don't know we're constantly craving for soundboard recordings from some concerts that happened twenty years ago. These little interviews that Noah did with Tori during NI tour showed us how little she's aware of what fans want to get (=what she can easily sell), like the songs she has never played or one album start to finish show.

Quote Originally Posted by mich. View Post
    Or they just don't know we're constantly craving for soundboard recordings from some concerts that happened twenty years ago. These little interviews that Noah did with Tori during NI tour showed us how little she's aware of what fans want to get (=what she can easily sell), like the songs she has never played or one album start to finish show.
    Oh I don't know about that. Certainly I think she might forget an improv or demo from years ago, but there's one thing for sure... she knows that fans would love unreleased live recordings from the past. She will have a product manager at Rhino or whatever entity looks after her catalogue, and they will be making it their business to let her know how best to exploit her music commercially.

I don't know if Tori and team and her distributor really know how well something like a live digital CD would sell. And would it really actually sell? How big is her hardcore fanbase? 10,000 copies at most maybe? Tori seems to be able to sell live shows by the 100,000s but when it comes to CDs / digital music it is getting pretty low. People seem to only like her classics

While the Legs and Boots sold at the time after the shows - I am sure many were illegally downloaded - I recall downloads for all the live shows being available in CD like quality back then (I think I partook in a few). Today those live shows are available on iTunes for $16.99 (Canadian) and I am sure no one buys them anymore.

I don't know if Tori and team really realize how fans would buy older live material from the unreleased years (BFP - SLG) when her voice and performances were far superior back in the day - they may think that time has passed.

As someone else mentioned - I hope she is holding out to release these as more of a retirement fund in 20 years from now... but will we be interested then?

And of course you have to wonder how much unreleased material there is - or demos.

I would actually enjoy just a disc of Tori experimenting in the studio to be honest. Like I love that poor quality Bonn performance of Other Side of the Mountain - even more than Star Whisperer. LOL...
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by mich. View Post
    The only reasonable explanation why they don't release already recorded shows and take a lot of my money for it is that they might treat it as retirement fund. Were they to start to release them now, we would have enough of them by the end of Tori's career.
    You think? That seems like bad financial advice for retirement. She should capitalize on her fan base having disposable income NOW, bank that money and invest it to let it grow.

I think Tori doesn't really like to look back on her previous eras/records. Even when she does, she always needs to come up with some kind concept (Tales, A Piano). I also think she's a bit too much of a perfectionist when it comes to live performances and the quality of them.