Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: From The Choirgirl Hotel Remaster/Re-issue (2018)

I’d probably say Datura too for pure technical complexity, but it’s also a little too self-consciously complex for me. I think something like Carbon is more impressive because she makes the complexity sound completely natural unless you’re looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    I'm no music expert but I'd say the first occurrence (or a very easy one to point out) is right after she sings the first 'She's addicted to nicotine patches' and before she sings the second 'She's addicted to nicotine patches'. From the beginning of the song, count one two three, one two three, one two three to the beat. And after the first 'She's addicted to nicotine patches' you HAVE to do an extra count or the beat won't 'line up'. (what I'm describing is 3/4 instead of 6/8. From the moment she starts singing, you could also count to six twice before the extra beat shows up).

So I'd say 0:20 to 0:22, 0:31 to 0:33 (after 'she's afraid of a light in the dark').
    Wow, now I see what you mean. I never paid attention to that. Thank you !!

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I always thought "she breaks my siren" was referring to the actual sound that a mythical siren would make. This other woman "breaks" it either with a siren song of her own or something else. So I have always taken this song to be about the anger & jealousy of rejection. I guess it sort of ties into Great Expectations (from what I remember of it) but I think Tori has her own story behind it.
    Ahhh. That makes so much sense, too.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Please Tori, do not put any of the remixes from AP on here. Just remaster the album like you did with the previous 3. That's all.

I'll say what I said with the three previous remaster a: PLEASE RELEASE THE B-SIDES ON VINYL!!!
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    I'll say what I said with the three previous remaster a: PLEASE RELEASE THE B-SIDES ON VINYL!!!
    I really, really really really, want her to do a B-Sides vinyl collection. Not some slap dash shitty project, but something really special, thoughtfully done, with great packaging. There is nothing she could do with her back catalog that I would appreciate more than this!

To be fair though, with A Piano and the first 3 albums remastered, we're lucky to have these b sides remastered at all! Is it something artists do these days? Remastering 25 odd year old b sides?

Does anyone else remember a potential IIEEE single back in 1998? After the other singles and remix singles were released, there was talk of releasing an IIEEE single of remixes? I recall being super excited and then it never saw the light of day. I have searched but cannot find a Dent posting on it...

Am I going crazy? Or perhaps I am thinking TVAB era and it was to be a Suede single of remixes? It was either IIEEE or Suede...
    Even if it was Suede and not IIEEE I am thinking of - there are probably a bunch of remixes of songs we have not heard of from 1998 when they were remixing Spark, Cruel, Raspberry Swirl, Jackie's Strength and Father Lucifer.

My dream would be a 4 disc box set for the FTCH remaster:

Disc 1: Remastered 12 track album
    Disc 2: B-sides & remixes
    Disc 3: Remastered 1998 live Plugged concert (with IIEEE, Horses, etc.)
    Disc 4: IIEEE remixes single (or other remixes from the time we have not heard) and other rarities

I wish Rhino would put more into the remasters. They could have all been box sets. The majority of people buying the remasters are Tori's fans - the ones who are rabid / dedicated to her as an artist and will spend money for good product... I don't see these remasters being bought up in large numbers by casual fans or even new fans.

Like with A Piano. They sold lots of those and for lots of money per set.

While I bought the iTunes versions of remastered LE, UTP and BFP - I did not buy the hardcopies as they did not offer much new for me - - - they look like lesser / cheaper versions of the original.

B-sides & Remixes Disc

This works for me sonically:

Ambient Spark - Mainline Cherry
    Cruel - Shady Feline Mix
    Raspberry Swirl - Lip Gloss Version
    Jackie's Strength - Wedding Cake Remix
    Never Seen Blue
    Beulah Land
    Bachelorette
    Purple People
    Cooling
    Do It Again
    Raspberry Swirl - Sticky Extended Vocal Mix
    Jackie's Strength - One Rascal Dub
    Ambient Raspberry Swirl - Scarlet Spectrum Feels
    Merman

^ I know I am missing a couple RS and JS remixes...
    Last edited by Beelust; 01-06-2018 at 05:02 PM.
    Robbing the muse...

I don't see where other artists fit in here. I can't think of any other artist for whom b-sides have been such a meaningful part of their career and catalog. But just to be clear, I'm less concerned about the remastering aspect of it... I can barely hear any difference in these things generally.... I want 1) to be able to listen to b-sides on vinyl, period, and 2) to see them pulled together in a really cool, curated collection with really cool vinyl-scale artwork. I would not include every b-side, btw...

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    they look like lesser / cheaper versions of the original.
    That's very true.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I don't see where other artists fit in here. I can't think of any other artist for whom b-sides have been such a meaningful part of their career and catalog. But just to be clear, I'm less concerned about the remastering aspect of it... I can barely hear any difference in these things generally.... I want 1) to be able to listen to b-sides on vinyl, period, and 2) to see them pulled together in a really cool, curated collection with really cool vinyl-scale artwork. I would not include every b-side, btw...
    I have no clue about the legal aspects of it, but if the b-sides of LE and UTP were remastered, they could've put them on vinyl too. I don't know why they didn't do it; it could've sold maybe more than the remastered LE.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    For remixes, I want:

Scarlet Spectrum Feels
    Sticky Extended Instrumental (it still has vocals, just less)
    Lip Gloss
    Shady Feline
    Ambient Spark
    Father Lucifer (if not here, then it could be a Venus extra)

Notice the lack of Jackie's Strength!! I hope they don't waste disc space on that cheesy crap!! Although the Wedding Cake Meltdown mix had some cool parts.

ETA: THIS (below) song could've been a massive hit for Tori, I think, if they had used these same kind of beats for an edited single remix. The Lip Gloss version sounds like a mess to me and I remember it sounded worse in the video. But I guess this was when Atlantic stopped caring about Tori, or something that caused the single to be removed from the shelves. "Sad!"

Last edited by Octopussy; 01-08-2018 at 11:35 PM.

I wish they'd remix the Lip Gloss version. I like the trash can drums and how the LP version beat gets a volume reduction but... it sounds so compressed. It could really use a cleaner, fuller sound.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

What about the "Naked" version of Raspberry Swirl?
    They say you were something in those formative years...

Is this going to be a spring release like LE and UTP re-release or is it going to more likely be a late 2018 re-release like Boys for Pele was in 2016?