Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: From The Choirgirl Hotel Remaster/Re-issue (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreen View Post
    What about the "Naked" version of Raspberry Swirl?
    I believe that it's just the album version, as in "I'm naked without my lip gloss".

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Yeah "Naked Mix" is just an edited album version, with one of the last chorus refrains missing (like Lip Gloss)

I remember people were expecting a lot more remix action at the time, but Atlantic totally dropped the ball on the promotion. In Europe, they just stopped promoting the album after the first single. Or least, they never officially released a second single. This album and Venus could've had some really creative mixes, but then they opted for a tacky house music version of Jackie's Strength?? I guess that's the difference Tori and her peers (PJ and Bjork) -- especially Bjork, who's working with cutting edge producers at the time, while Tori does a track with BT or Sasha or whoever. Those guys were like the Chainsmokers of their time.

Are Blue Skies and Siren from this period? I'd love to have those ones remastered.

Those came out in 1997. I doubt they would be included.

every time this thread gets bumped i get excited that there might be some official news about this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    every time this thread gets bumped i get excited that there might be some official news about this.
    We'll put an update note with the date in the title when there are official news released so that you're all informed. We'll also include them in the first post

Was Tori asked about the reissue during any NI interviews?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabih View Post
    We'll put an update note with the date in the title when there are official news released so that you're all informed. We'll also include them in the first post
    Awesome, thank you! And I wasn’t complaining, just so excited for this.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I can't think of any other artist for whom b-sides have been such a meaningful part of their career and catalog. But just to be clear, I'm less concerned about the remastering aspect of it... I can barely hear any difference in these things generally.... I want 1) to be able to listen to b-sides on vinyl, period, and 2) to see them pulled together in a really cool, curated collection with really cool vinyl-scale artwork. I would not include every b-side, btw...

I would LOVE for her to release a collection of her B-sides on vinyl! That is pretty much at the top of my wishlist of things she could release from her back catalog.

In terms of other artists whose B-sides have been a meaningful part of their career and catalog, I'd say Prince is a pretty big one. His 80's B-sides are incredible--some of which have been covered and turned into hits by other artists ("How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore?") and some of which most people might think were A-sides, not B-sides ("Erotic City").

But other than Prince and Tori, I'm not sure who else comes to mind for me.

When I think of artists whose b-sides stack up well alongside their album tracks, after Tori my mind always goes to early Cranberries b-sides (So Cold In Ireland, The Picture I View, Liar). They're one of a handful of artists for whom I regularly hear a song and think "oh wait, that wasn't actually on the album"?

(I mean, seriously, Cooling was never on an album?! Vinyl it, Tori, please!)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    (I mean, seriously, Cooling was never on an album?! Vinyl it, Tori, please!)
    I have this weird thing about "Cooling", in that I only really listen to the live version from To Venus and Back, which to me is just unparalleled in its beauty and puts the original studio cut to shame. It's made even weirder by the fact that I never listen to live recordings and only consume live music when I'm actually there for it.

I agree about Cooling. I always thought (don't shoot me) that the studio version needed a better vocal and maybe better production. There's something off about it to me. Venus is the definitive in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    I have this weird thing about "Cooling", in that I only really listen to the live version from To Venus and Back, which to me is just unparalleled in its beauty and puts the original studio cut to shame. It's made even weirder by the fact that I never listen to live recordings and only consume live music when I'm actually there for it.
    ^

I have a very similar experience, which I attribute to the fact that my first exposure to the song was the live version on TVAB. I really like the studio version, but I definitely gravitate towards the TVAB version.

It's really rare for me to listen to live recordings, unless they are, like, radically different arrangements of songs I love (for example, Sheryl Crow's country-western version of "If It Makes You Happy" from VHI Storytellers), a cool cover performed by an artist I like (Cat Power's "Wonderwall," Neil Finn's "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out," Patti Smith's "Tomorrow"), or something with a jaw-dropping live vocal, whether it's a cover or not (Joan Osborne's "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" from the Standing in the Shadows of Motown soundtrack, Kelly Clarkson's live covers of "Creep" and "Top of the World"). There are live albums I like from Brandi Carlisle, Donny Hathaway, Neko Case, and some other artists, but my first instinct is to go to the studio versions usually.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    I still remember when Sessions at W54th first aired and Cooling just about took me to the floor. I was sitting close to the TV, just in awe. Live Cooling is where it's at. (Though the bridge on the studio version is so good!)

I love the way she plays the higher notes on the piano after the first chorus in the Venus version, which she’s not done since then as far as I know. That would be my favorite version if she’d included the damn bridge.