Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: From The Choirgirl Hotel Remaster/Re-issue (2018)

I don't ever remember reading that. I just know that Space Dog was included b/c it was a favorite of Mark's.

I know this is unlikely but I would kill for remastered Siren. It sounds muddy and her voice is buried in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    I know this is unlikely but I would kill for remastered Siren. It sounds muddy and her voice is buried in the mix.
    Yes we need that desperately.

She just has to include the Violet's Eyes demo and HYAMLC (my favorite Tori cover ever). Those the only 2 things I need. Oh, and any other unreleased gems

Iieee and Horses '98 plus clear version of Violets Eyes. Please Tori. Please.

But I doubt about VR, as being too personal and probably nobody would dare to ask her (as some probably did with Motormaids which was always a saint graal for the fandom)

I know this is not FTCGH era but I am hoping "Butterfly" gets included
    Past a shooting star

I hope Carnival gets included

That'd be for the Venus remaster with the purple vinyl.

I don't see Violet's Eyes being included as it sounded like a very rough take (not done in her studio perhaps?).

Choirgirl really needs a remaster. It sounds so muddled and even low quality in some parts. It'd sound so much clearer than the original and I refuse to listen to those awful reproduced versions on A Piano. She sucked the life right out of them.

I will be so excited to see what unreleased stuff gets to see the light of day!!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonhicks View Post
    Choirgirl really needs a remaster. It sounds so muddled and even low quality in some parts.
    Nothing against that statement, I'm just deaf and can't hear these things so overall all last reissuses did nothing for me (except for the BfP bsides), but could you tell me in which part of the record we might expect some improvement?

I hope this remaster won't suffer from the same sound issues like Under the Pink. I'm not referring to the glitch on "The Wrong Band." There's some ridiculous distortion on "Home on the Range," sort of like on the reissued "Walk to Dublin." I highly doubt this was intentional. Jon Astley didn't exactly bring those recordings into the present gracefully. For someone who prides themselves in having sublime sound quality, I don't understand how Tori allows issues like these to be make it onto CD or whichever format.

As for Choirgirl, I hope they don't overdrive the volume on the remaster. If anything, this album would benefit from less (!!!!) compression. I'd very much appreciate if it was a bit quieter than the original master. My Japanese and UK pressings are ridiculously loud to the point where the sound is downright distorted and muddy sometimes. It's definitely not a problem with my equipment, I checked with several players and headphones.

This time around, though, I am not getting my hopes up for previously unheard studio material. Live recordings seem very likely, I just hope that those will be "i i e e e" and "Horses." I can do without the remixes. I wouldn't be surprised if "Do It Again" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" were left off the reissue for publishing reasons.
    Last edited by theycallmejosef; 09-05-2017 at 08:28 PM.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    I hate to say that she would probably include the Venus b-sides, which are boooooooooooring, if she was going to include live tracks.

Shout out to Sticky Extended INSTRUMENTAL of Raspberry Swirl, I hope they include that instead of the extra-vocal mix. It had some pretty cool beats but the chopped-up "it's gotta be big" wannabe vocals made it wicked annoying. *The instrumental actually has does have vocals, but about half as much.

Quote Originally Posted by mich. View Post
    Iieee and Horses '98 plus clear version of Violets Eyes. Please Tori. Please.

But I doubt about VR, as being too personal and probably nobody would dare to ask her (as some probably did with Motormaids which was always a saint graal for the fandom)
    Violet's Eyes sounds like a run-through demo, like not even kind of put together beyond getting the idea down. I'd be shocked if it turned up. Plus to be honest it feels super raw to me. There's something of a distillation that can happen when writing a song -- and I get this from her a good portion of the time -- where a good song is not just about whatever she wrote it about but can land on the listener and become it's own thing to that person, and to me VE feels too raw to be about anything other than what it's clearly about. It almost seems like something we were never meant to hear.

But... don't we already have several soundboard versions of '98 Horses and iieee?