Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: From The Choirgirl Hotel Remaster/Re-issue (2018)

I want the soundboard version of Liquid Diamonds that they were going to include in TVAB that never appeared due to length.

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    But... don't we already have several soundboard versions of '98 Horses and iieee?
    In absolutely inferior sound quality, yes. They sound fine on okay in-ear headphones, but the only way to endure them on hi-fi equipment is when muted. I realise my sound interests aren't exactly representative, but why not give these truly beautiful live arrangements proper attention 20 years later? To me, they are a lot more indicative of the innovative band sound in 1998 than most of the recordings on Still Orbiting. The previous three reissues didn't seem like remasters only, they seemed to (attempt to) recapture a particular point in time as a sonic retrospective. To me it seems like a given that she'd include unheard rearrangements from the Plugged Tour, but then again... she might see this differently.

It seems like the live stuff would end up on an expanded Venus, but there's been no discussion of that. It'd be nice if they started releasing live albums from the different eras after the remaster releases end. I wonder if it makes her any money? It must if they keep putting them out, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It'd be nice if they started releasing live albums from the different eras after the remaster releases end. I wonder if it makes her any money? It must if they keep putting them out, right?
    Bruce Springsteen has been releasing much sought after concert recordings for several years in perfectly mixed soundboard quality. http://live.brucespringsteen.net/catalog.aspx

Tori could easily do something like this and I'm sure fans would purchase the hell out of a download store like this. Imagine how profitable this would be to finance tours and other projects! They may not have kept every show from the archive, but there are quite a few obvious shows, be that solo or with the band, that deserve to be honoured with an official recording. Given that she's on pretty good terms with her former labels, licensing shouldn't be too hard of a problem to solve either.

By the way... I'm going to mention Bruce's live music store to Tori when speaking to her sometime this month. I don't see why she wouldn't do it, it just seems like she hasn't got an idea of how to pull it off.

Edit 872519: would it make sense to collect specific shows and give a list to her? I mean, it would be a lot easier for her if she knew which shows fans are dying to hear.
    Last edited by hermes; 09-05-2017 at 11:18 PM.

^ We tried that once and even had polls and threads on it. I forget who was going to try and pass it along. Was it dollsbitches? It kind of fell apart. I certainly have favorites from each tour.

Ani DiFranco has been doing an official bootleg series for like 10 - 15 years now. They're sporadic but she's released a good variety of shows from her various tours. I'd love to see Tori embrace that. Make them digital only or do really simple digipacks like Ani and sell them yourself -- instant profit.

@Ryan, would you be able to find those polls and threads?

I wouldn't mind giving it another shot, really, and collaboratively updating that list. The worst that could happen is her faking wondrousness, smiling her way through my monologue and mentally placing said list and portfolio of information in the roadie dustbin. She seems to be listening more to what fans are saying these days, so it might be a benevolent reminder. The 26th and 27th of September would be good for me to give it too her as I have a few days to get everything printed, etc.

It might be a good idea to present her links to other artists' live music download stores...

(Sorry for going off-topic, by the way.)

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmejosef View Post
    @Ryan, would you be able to find those polls and threads?

I wouldn't mind giving it another shot, really, and collaboratively updating that list. The worst that could happen is her faking wondrousness, smiling her way through my monologue and mentally placing said list and portfolio of information in the roadie dustbin. She seems to be listening more to what fans are saying these days, so it might be a benevolent reminder. The 26th and 27th of September would be good for me to give it too her as I have a few days to get everything printed, etc.

It might be a good idea to present her links to other artists' live music download stores...

(Sorry for going off-topic, by the way.)
    I second that.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

It may have been on the old @forumz which did not transfer when I bought the domain from Martin. Anything pre-2010 is gone now. I will search around and see. I'm thinking this is a touchy subject because she's going to be busy promoting and touring this album, and I don't know how she'll feel about fans presenting her with lists of requested shows. It does mean more work for them. But maybe if someone brings it up and she's open to it, we can crowd-source a shortlist of our favorite shows for her. We'll have to start a new thread for that.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    The soundboard radio boots from this era are all pretty ropey. The audio quality on Sessions IIEEE has always annoyed me. Frankfurt, Hamburg, Berlin... all decent, but still broadcast quality (compression, static, etc.)

I don't what would disqualify Siren from this release, so it would be just LAME not to include it. Maybe 2 versions? Maybe that's a lot to ask but I'M GREEDY and this is my song. I want a studio version of the slow, atmospheric live band version too. Or a solo demo could be interesting?!?

I'd actually love a thread to identify the best shows for potential release.

We'd need a bracket setup of sorts, and of course access to all of the shows. Maybe a long list of 50 to get to a short list of 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It may have been on the old @forumz which did not transfer when I bought the domain from Martin. Anything pre-2010 is gone now. I will search around and see. I'm thinking this is a touchy subject because she's going to be busy promoting and touring this album, and I don't know how she'll feel about fans presenting her with lists of requested shows. It does mean more work for them. But maybe if someone brings it up and she's open to it, we can crowd-source a shortlist of our favorite shows for her. We'll have to start a new thread for that.
    I mean, I could casually ask her (on the 14th) if she could see herself doing something like this at some point in the future. If she shows interest (thankfully, her microexpressions are always very telling), I'd offer her to bring something at another show for potential future reference (and give it to her on the 26th or 27th). Even if no list is given to her in the end, it would be quite good to have one for ourselves. Who knows, maybe in the future there'll be a better time for a project like this (she seems quite eager to revisit her musical legacy with all the reissues lately) and this could be of use.
    Last edited by hermes; 09-06-2017 at 12:19 AM.

I'm totally in. It's worth a shot. If I ever got a live HQ Horses, Riot Poof and IIEEE from that era, I'd die. I remember seeing my first Plugged show and my friend looking at me and saying "this must be what music sounds like in Heaven". She also KNEW she was at her peak when it came to live shows at that time because she said so herself. It'd be an amazing time to capture and have out there because ( imo), Still Orbiting just scratches the surface
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I second @theycallmejoseph idea as well. I believe she might be completely unaware of our constant need for her live recordings from the past tours, which shall exceed a few random songs on the 2nd disc of her remastered albums, as they'd be full, soundboard quality performances from as far as 20 years ago. That would actually be more exciting than another album reissue and we might guess FTCH will be the last one on her list. So if she wants my money (and I want her to take a lot of it), that would be the best offer.

And if only she'd follow her best friend's wife, a crowd funding action could pay for some long and meticulous exploring of her and mark's live shows archives

Edit: oh yes Riot Poof '99 yes please, how could i forget my fav one. And some Father Lucifer (w/ Lucy Girl)
    Last edited by mich.; 09-06-2017 at 12:37 AM.

he's our commander still stuper venus's Avatar
    I'd love to have God with the "you dropped your bomb on me"

Quote Originally Posted by mich. View Post
    Nothing against that statement, I'm just deaf and can't hear these things so overall all last reissuses did nothing for me (except for the BfP bsides), but could you tell me in which part of the record we might expect some improvement?
    To me (and I'm going to use specific examples here), the piano and drums in Spark sound like they're in a different bitrate almost. They sound muddy. The reverb here and with almost every other song could do with a bit of cleaning up.

I never listen to Playboy Mommy because around 1:38, 2:58, and near the end of the song it sounds like they jacked up the background noise and there's this awful high pitched frequency that drives me crazy. Also at 1:38 the guitar strumming sounds like a fucking saw on my ear and I doubt it was intentional.

I have really high sensitivity to sound and I can understand why not everyone wants a remasters or cares. There are just little things here and there that could use a cleanup! Venus was produced with a very crisp, tight sound (ex. Júarez) but still some reverb (ex. Glory of the 80s) and while I don't think a remaster would make a difference that drastic, in my eyes it desperately needs a sonic tightening.