Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: From The Choirgirl Hotel Remaster/Re-issue [Cancelled]

Quote Originally Posted by jasonhicks View Post
    To me (and I'm going to use specific examples here), the piano and drums in Spark sound like they're in a different bitrate almost. They sound muddy. The reverb here and with almost every other song could do with a bit of cleaning up.

I never listen to Playboy Mommy because around 1:38, 2:58, and near the end of the song it sounds like they jacked up the background noise and there's this awful high pitched frequency that drives me crazy. Also at 1:38 the guitar strumming sounds like a fucking saw on my ear and I doubt it was intentional.

I have really high sensitivity to sound and I can understand why not everyone wants a remasters or cares. There are just little things here and there that could use a cleanup! Venus was produced with a very crisp, tight sound (ex. Júarez) but still some reverb (ex. Glory of the 80s) and while I don't think a remaster would make a difference that drastic, in my eyes it desperately needs a sonic tightening.
    It's the background harmonies coming in juxtaposed with how little is going on sonically at those moments. Something I've always noticed on a subconscious level but never really thought about it until you pointed it out (it doesn't personally bother me, but it is noticeable!).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    ^ We tried that once and even had polls and threads on it. I forget who was going to try and pass it along. Was it dollsbitches? It kind of fell apart. I certainly have favorites from each tour.
    I don't remember 100% accurately but I did bring this up last time I interviewed Tori (during the UG tour) and she said she liked the idea and I should talk to Mark about it. Before the show I went up to him, Mark said Tori mentioned the idea to her, so I gave him my card. Never heard back.

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmejosef View Post
    @Ryan, would you be able to find those polls and threads?
    I think it was on the old forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    I don't remember 100% accurately but I did bring this up last time I interviewed Tori (during the UG tour) and she said she liked the idea and I should talk to Mark about it. Before the show I went up to him, Mark said Tori mentioned the idea to her, so I gave him my card. Never heard back.

I think it was on the old forum.
    Thanks a lot for clarifying!

Do you think it would make sense to refresh her memory on this topic and (after asking her if she'd still consider it) give her a bit of printed information right away on (1) who's doing something like this, (2) how they're doing it and (3) which specific shows (a selection of 20 max. because anything beyond would be pushing it) people would be interested in buying?
    Last edited by hermes; 09-06-2017 at 10:26 AM.

I remember something about her wanting to release older shows only when she would stop touring. Was this something she actually said or pure fan speculation? Anyway, she has said on numerous occasions that they have every show on their archive. So if she is saving them, she probably has plans to do something with them in the future. I would be really excited to have any high quality, mixed and mastered show preferably from years between 1996-2002.. Anything before and after I could live without.

if she ever really does this, i would love some from these tours: 1994 / 1996 / 1999 w. band / 1999 solo / 2001 / 2011 w. string quartet

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I think if we were to do this it would be good to give them some of the leg work, the charts and figures, so they had an idea where to start. Something to point them in a direction until the idea seizes them.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Do it Again probably wouldn't be included. Practically none of the LE/UTP era covers were, no? But was that due to space or due to licensing, I guess is the question.

I could do without the 94 shows. I'd like Boulder for '96, Akron & Columbus from '98 (maybe a couple of others), Denver '99, London solo '99, Oakland & Oberhausen from 2001, couple from OSW, Beekeeper forguttabouit!, Orlando Pip show from 2007, Chicago 2007, Sinful forguttaboutit!, any Quartet show from 2011 (hopefully with On the Boundary), 2014 show with We Float or Frozen covers.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Do it Again probably wouldn't be included. Practically none of the LE/UTP era covers were, no? But was that due to space or due to licensing, I guess is the question.
    I had to double-check, but she did include Smells Like Teen Spirit, London Girls and That's What I Like Mick, which are all covers. I understand that Smells was noticed by a lot of people back then and that's probably why they included that. I'm guessing the Pele covers weren't as expensive to re-issue.
    Hoping they include all of the Choirgirl b-sides, including the covers, because they're not many. Maybe album demos like Jackie, Hotel or iieee.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    This makes me super happy.

I always had the impression I read somewhere she recorded a lot more songs during From The Choirgirl Hotel period...guess that was just wishful thinking/reading on my part

would love to hear something more in the vein of Bachelorette, which to me totally sounds like it was made up on the spot

It says here that Tori recorded 35 songs for Choirgirl, according to Willy Porter.

ORIGINAL DEMOS.

With all this talk of live stuff coming up again, do we know that all converts were recorded? I think she has said up until 1999 everything was-but what about after that?

Everything has been recorded. I'm still waiting for her to release Salt Lake City's Hyperballad from 05
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."