Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: From The Choirgirl Hotel Remaster/Re-issue (2018)

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rattlesnakes View Post
    It says here that Tori recorded 35 songs for Choirgirl, according to Willy Porter.
    There were 10 other drunken Madonna covers in addition to Like a Virgin.

It says here that Tori recorded 35 songs for Choirgirl, according to Willy Porter.
    This is exciting, but I'm not banking on more than a song or two coming out because Tori said when A Piano was released that they were hunting for b-sides for FTCH before the singles were released. A lot of the Choirgirl b-sides were Pele outtakes mixed during the Choirgirl era. FTCH was also the only album on A Piano that wasn't represented with an unreleased song. I'm thinking if there were a bunch of good ones, something would've come out then. Bliss was apparently recorded in 1997, too, (according to the TOAL liner notes,) so it's probably safe to guess that some of those songs ended up on Venus or were reworked later for other projects. Sorry to be a buzzkill. It'd be amazing if they dug up a bunch of unreleased songs or pulled that lost disc of the live album out of the vault. So many things *could* happen with this reissue.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Wow- so she could have put Bliss on Choirgirl?! What a wild idea. I have never heard that before.

Just realized - aside from "Butterfly", we need a proper remastered release for the song "Abbey Road".

This is a long shot but I'll be really happy if this was a 3-disc set (album proper, B-sides and Plugged tour tracks).
    Past a shooting star

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Wow- so she could have put Bliss on Choirgirl?! What a wild idea. I have never heard that before.
    It *could* be a typo. I mean, the TOAL credits are kind of a mess compared to her original albums, but it does list the year each song was recorded, and next to Bliss, it says 1997, just like the Choirgirl tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    There were 10 other drunken Madonna covers in addition to Like a Virgin.
    I wants them

I always had a feeling some of the Venus songs were re-worked Choirgirl outtakes given how quickly the album was recorded. It would be interesting to hear some early takes of the Venus tracks from the Choirgirl sessions
    ~just an underwater thing~

I have a theory that Bliss, Juarez, Concertina, and Riot Poof might be Choirgirl outtakes... because they have a rough, static-y quality to the vocals, which isn't on the other Venus tracks, but it's on Choirgirl. Note the difference between Concertina and the single mix - they smoothed it out quite a bit.

A remastered version of Purple People (Christmas in Space version) would be brilliant.
    They say you were something in those formative years...

I hope she includes the actual studio version this time and not the one from the Venus live disc. It's one of her best studio b-sides and I liked it way better without the lyric change that she insists on using since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreen View Post
    A remastered version of Purple People (Christmas in Space version) would be brilliant.
    If I'm not mistaken, the "Christmas in Space" was a misprint on the Spark single. It was actually supposed to go along with "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," which would make more sense. But, yes, we need a remastered Purple People since she didn't include the original version on A Piano.

Thanks for sharing, rattlesnakes! Interesting quote from him:

about tori, willy also says "she's very cool, no bullshit, she just talks to you like you and me are. i think she has some disdain for the press and that's why she comes up with fantastic answers to questions. like sometimes they'll ask her 'where were you born' or some other stupid question, and she'll just say something like 'well the truck ran off the road the other day and the moon said oh no'.

@dollsbitches @Noah - I'm curious if you have observed this behavior (but it seems she really loves you guys, so may not apply)

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    @dollsbitches @Noah - I'm curious if you have observed this behavior (but it seems she really loves you guys, so may not apply)
    The first time I interviewed (for ADP) her was amazing, I has 20-25 minutes, but it turned into a 45-minute thing. She just kept sending the Sony rep (coming in to say my time was up) away. She was really great. The second time was for AATS and she didn't seem to be in a good mood, there seemed to be something wrong with one of her eyelids and all in all it was just kind of uninteresting. Then I interviewed her for Gold Dust on the phone, it was fine, she was pleasant. Last time I interviewed her was in person before the UG show in Amsterdam and again she was super nice and friendly. So no, aside from that one AATS interview where she probably just wasn't having the best day, I've always really enjoyed talking to her, she's been very friendly and generally forthcoming. Of course I've gotten some generic 'well being a ministers daughter and blah blah blah the corn mother blah blah blah' answer sometimes, but I'd say that's more an exception.

I didn't get to interview her this week She was supposed to stay in The Netherlands an extra day because she was going to do a TV show here, but it fell through and so the extra press day didn't happen. Or at least that's what I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I hope she includes the actual studio version this time and not the one from the Venus live disc. It's one of her best studio b-sides and I liked it way better without the lyric change that she insists on using since then.
    I hate hate that Venus live version, and not for trying. She sounds like she's holding back a giggle fit. The b-side version is so much better, very cold and deadpan but still pleasant and sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    The first time I interviewed (for ADP) her was amazing, I has 20-25 minutes, but it turned into a 45-minute thing. She just kept sending the Sony rep (coming in to say my time was up) away. She was really great. The second time was for AATS and she didn't seem to be in a good mood, there seemed to be something wrong with one of her eyelids and all in all it was just kind of uninteresting. Then I interviewed her for Gold Dust on the phone, it was fine, she was pleasant. Last time I interviewed her was in person before the UG show in Amsterdam and again she was super nice and friendly. So no, aside from that one AATS interview where she probably just wasn't having the best day, I've always really enjoyed talking to her, she's been very friendly and generally forthcoming. Of course I've gotten some generic 'well being a ministers daughter and blah blah blah the corn mother blah blah blah' answer sometimes, but I'd say that's more an exception.

I didn't get to interview her this week She was supposed to stay in The Netherlands an extra day because she was going to do a TV show here, but it fell through and so the extra press day didn't happen. Or at least that's what I've been told.
    Interesting, thanks! Sorry you didn't get to interview her - you always get great information out of her!