Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: From The Choirgirl Hotel Remaster/Re-issue [Cancelled]

^ I have no idea but I always assumed maybe it was bad Botox? It seemed to be a temporary thing.

I also think Tori needs to full on bring the band back, there's a different energy around her records...

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    I am just really happy for her that she worked through it. Listen to her voice there in Maybe Cali, her vocal affectations, tone, odd placement, the tension and fry. It was several years of getting deeper and deeper into those kinds of vocals so it was amazing to hear her finding her voice again on UG and NoH. I've avoided that era for so long that it was jarring to hear again, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    This radio show performance is one that’s really hard to watch, just seems like she is in a really bad place. Not saying it’s all autobiographical obviously but the song is literally about a woman wanting to throw herself off a cliff and the way she sings it here feels like it stings. I’m sure whatever happened with her eye during this period of time was really upsetting too.

Man, I forgot how rough that one is to watch. When she delivers that "why not?" through her teeth...it seems dark.

I remember watching Curtain Call from that show and thinking about how depressing it all was. And then the album and tour were just... ugh.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Yeah, this is a difficult performance to watch, not because of her voice or playing, but she's clearly unhappy. I mean coming up and starting the show with this sad Maybe California, it's hard to watch because you can see she's in genuine emotional pain. Between the health issues, the career downturn, the presumed issues in her marriage (which can't really be denied after Night of Hunters) it's clear she was going through it. I always thought she was singing to a woman on the edge in this song, but now it feels as though she is Mrs. C, the woman on the edge and someone else is talking her through it.
    Last edited by andy; 08-09-2018 at 03:04 AM.

^ Yes.

And can we finally, once and for all, kick the myth that an artist needs to be in pain to create good art? Tori truly rode out the storm and came out the other side victorious. I love the role she has stepped into, with grace and wisdom, on Native Invader.

^ Yes we can AND I would also say that the pain that she was going through during the AATS era clearly informed and inspired her later work. So I would say that the pain did help her create good art. She just wasn't creating good art while she was in it. The pain expressed on Little Earthquakes probably came partially from the YKTR era, and as fun as that album is, it isn't exactly good cathartic art. The good art came later.

But I agree pain is not a requirement.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    ^ Yes we can AND I would also say that the pain that she was going through during the AATS era clearly informed and inspired her later work. So I would say that the pain did help her create good art. She just wasn't creating good art while she was in it. The pain expressed on Little Earthquakes probably came partially from the YKTR era, and as fun as that album is, it isn't exactly good cathartic art. The good art came later.

But I agree pain is not a requirement.
    Pain is not a requirement.....perhaps we have the title of the next album!!!

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    That sounds more like a Sinéad album title tbh.

What I find most striking is she's not wearing her sapphire ring. She literally has that ring on in every video I've ever seen. Tori has seen some dark times, but I think the ADP/AATS era was her darkest. She lost herself, her voice, and her audience - and her ring apparently! I remember being so disappointed when AATS came out. I was excited at first - like most of us were - I thought the production was great; there was atmosphere in the music; it was beautiful. But when the newness wore off the substance did too, and I was - for the first time - afraid for her. Afraid of her getting older and what her music would become. I think we all saw her grasping for a Brittany Spears moment, and she's just not that woman. In her own words she's caviar, an acquired taste. I felt like she had become a sellout, but looking back I think she was having marital and other problems that she wanted to keep private. Not hating on Mark, but I think he edited a part of herself that was visceral. She processed emotion through her music and storytelling, and all of us responded to her truth... she couldn't hide it! When the Beekeeper came out that's when she first really sounded like she "edited" herself, kind of like a friend telling a half-truth to keep the party from going too serious. In my honest opinion, I think Mark cheated on her, and she broke - perhaps between her career and her family. I think Mark pressured her to be a mother instead of who she was born to be, and I think her creativity has struggled as a result. Maybe that - and the pressure of being forever-young - caused her to try and be the mainstream (especially after the success of Scarlet's Walk), but she wasn't - and isn't. I'm so happy I can hear her voice again. She's such a muse and always will be.
    Last edited by pancakefrompele; 08-10-2018 at 03:21 AM.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I would be kind of shocked to learn that Tori doesn't consider herself "born to be a mother [and artist]". Look at her with the kids in the Winter video. She clearly loves children. Does it have to be either/or? I am not aware of any evidence that Mark pushed her into motherhood? It's interesting to me how much people think they know about their marriage. I suppose Tori has a bit to do with that: by writing and talking openly about marital difficulties, she has created intrigue.

Here's my one thing about Mark: dude bro, the time has come for a man makeover! At the LA shows of the NI tour, his hair was way cray, and if I remember correctly, he was wearing socks with Tevas. And his shirt and shorts were badly matched and unflattering. And his glasses didn't work for his face at all. Jesus man, TRY.

Regarding AATS, I don't love it and practically never listen to it. But I'm grateful it exists, just for Fast Horse if nothing else, which I do love. I have certainly never seen it as a sellout record, though. What I find most noteworthy is how straightforward the lyrics are: it seems to me like a record by a depressed woman singing depressing songs about her depressed life. I don't begrudge her AATS at all, really. (EXCEPT the doll videos. ADP and the dolls and the doll videos - don't get me started.) Plus, the ADP and AATS tours ruined Tori + the band for me, forever I think. I felt her playing lost a lot of intricacy and intimacy during that time. She was drown out. Some arrangements seemed really butchered.

Switching gears, Spark, like CALS before it, and Cornflake Girl before that, was such an incredibly strong single for this album. Brilliant choice, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Here's my one thing about Mark: dude bro, the time has come for a man makeover! At the LA shows of the NI tour, his hair was way cray, and if I remember correctly, he was wearing socks with Tevas. And his shirt and shorts were badly matched and unflattering. And his glasses didn't work for his face at all. Jesus man, TRY.
    This, a thousand times this. When I saw him at the show in Cleveland he was in a ratty Gryffindor tshirt and shorts and it looked like he hadn't brushed his hair. I was like "wow. You don't have to go all glam, but maybe look like you didn't just roll out of bed."

Ha ha....i think Tori is working him too hard....sound engineer, father to Tash and multi instrumentalist......especially if she continues to not use other musicians on the albums!! It'll be..."Mark can you learn to play the cello,violin and harp by next Tuesday please!!! I'm starting to get new ideas for the next record !!!"

I think he is deliberately going for the worn tech crew look, but the charm has worn off.

In regards to their marriage, I don't think it's as easy as making Mark the villain. Clearly she was facing her personal battles and that takes its toll on a couple. He could have been dealing with stuff of his own and they both had to deal with each other. Who knows? Whatever was going on was definitely reflected in the final product of each record. What matters to me is that the clearly ARE a good team, good parents, and they worked it out.