Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
Results 451 to 465 of 465

Thread: From The Choirgirl Hotel Remaster/Re-issue [Cancelled]

  1. #451
    With all due respect, Tori's head is up her arse when it comes to live stuff. She could even turn around and say 'didn't we already release that?'

  2. #452
    Get Out The Dark Adam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NYC/Kentucky/ Tennessee/Ohio
    Posts
    4,624
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I would put Sessions and Hard Rock Live on the high priority list. She apparently hated doing Storytellers, and she would probably be embarrassed by the "mistakes" and the "EAT MY PUSSY" bit during the Las Vegas show. So I wouldn't hold my breath for either of those.

    Also ---> East Lansing MI is the show that was filmed for the '98 DVD, if I remember correctly, and a few of those songs ended up on Venus Live. A full-length audio release would be doable... maybe? For '99, there were much better shows than Vegas. I would rather get a show from the non-Alanis leg. But even with the shorter sets, there were better versions of Blood Roses, and IMO the best Father Lucifer ever performed was in Nashville on her birthday. It had a very long and witchy improv at the beginning. If nothing else, add that version to the request list PLEASE!
    That Father Lucifer. Is it on YouTube or a boot? I’d love to hear it.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

  3. #453
    Administrator Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,726
    I’m in the minority but I don’t care for the Sessions performance. There were way better shows in 98 and 99. But I wouldn’t turn them down if that’s all we’re getting.

    Seriously though, look at Ani DiFranco’s official boots. She’s put out tons of them over the last 10 - 12 years and I can’t imagine her fan base is larger or more hardcore than Tori’s. It might not make them a ton of money but it obviously makes Ani something or they wouldn’t have continued it for so long. And she even does physical releases, which Tori could save money on by making them high quality digital releases.

  4. #454
    I think Tori's record of live album releases has always been very spotty: Half of the Venus recordings are really nasal and drawn-out, while essential songs from the Plugged tour were left out. The official bootlegs from the Beekeeper and American Doll Posse tours have their moments but they are lost in the shuffle among hundreds of other tracks. Live from the Artist's Den and From Russia with Love, despite having awesome setlists, barely merit a mention; they are completely forgettable. And the absolute nadir of her output for me remains Welcome to Sunny Florida, which is flat-out terrible. It's Tori Amos Puts on a Shower Curtain and Takes Ambien for Two Hours: The Movie. We all know what an extraordinary performer she is live, but I must say, I'm not sure she would leave that good an impression on casual fans who haven't gotten to experience her show for themselves based on these recordings.

  5. #455
    Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Seriously though, look at Ani DiFranco’s official boots. She’s put out tons of them over the last 10 - 12 years and I can’t imagine her fan base is larger or more hardcore than Tori’s. It might not make them a ton of money but it obviously makes Ani something or they wouldn’t have continued it for so long. And she even does physical releases, which Tori could save money on by making them high quality digital releases.
    It's a logical but imperfect analog. Ani DiFranco owns her record company; Tori does not. It's the record company who makes the most money when an album is sold (regardless of format, digital or physical.) In the best case Tori wouldn't make a ton of money from these kinds of releases, so why would she want to pursue something that means record companies she's had troubled relationships with in the past are getting paid? I have no direct evidence to support my claim, but I strongly suspect this is one of the primary reasons Tori doesn't release a lot of back catalog stuff. I think we can all reasonably assume she has considered these possibilities.

    Sessions, Unplugged etc., are an even more complicated matter with even more parties getting paid, having to give permission, etc.

  6. #456
    Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    That Father Lucifer. Is it on YouTube or a boot? I’d love to hear it.
    It's on a bootleg. I have it somewhere!! I will def find it.

  7. #457
    strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sactown
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    I think Tori's record of live album releases has always been very spotty: Half of the Venus recordings are really nasal and drawn-out, while essential songs from the Plugged tour were left out. The official bootlegs from the Beekeeper and American Doll Posse tours have their moments but they are lost in the shuffle among hundreds of other tracks. Live from the Artist's Den and From Russia with Love, despite having awesome setlists, barely merit a mention; they are completely forgettable. And the absolute nadir of her output for me remains Welcome to Sunny Florida, which is flat-out terrible. It's Tori Amos Puts on a Shower Curtain and Takes Ambien for Two Hours: The Movie. We all know what an extraordinary performer she is live, but I must say, I'm not sure she would leave that good an impression on casual fans who haven't gotten to experience her show for themselves based on these recordings.
    I don't really have any issues with TVAB, aside from the desire for a double live album of that tour. However, the later releases were seriously odd. I YEARN for a HQ release of her NPR performance with the string quartet. That was perfection. That tour with the strings was glorious yet, no proper release. We have Gold Dust as a really off prequel. LOL She has just made baffling choices .

  8. #458
    Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,381
    It is a crime against nature that we have no official recordings from NoH tour. That makes me saddest of all.

  9. #459
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    It is a crime against nature that we have no official recordings from NoH tour. That makes me saddest of all.
    This is SO correct......would kill for an official release or better still, a dvd of one of the shows on this unique of tours.....a wasted opportunity in my opinion..

  10. #460
    Molecular Machine John's Face's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    982
    True story. NOH was one of my favorite tours. I want a good quality of Cruel so bad.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

  11. #461
    Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,381
    For me, Shattering Sea and Fearlessness.... her piano playing was off the chain, the solo in Fearlessness was absolutely gripping like nothing I have ever seen her do on the piano before... and that's saying something.

  12. #462
    Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    That Father Lucifer. Is it on YouTube or a boot? I’d love to hear it.
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/v7lefa
    Father Lucifer
    8/22/99 Starwood Amphitheatre, Nashville TN

    I got this bootleg either off Toritraders or Dime, years ago, but I believe I first heard it back in the days of HIMH.com and it was always my favorite.

    I don't know if I kept the lossless files The quality is pretty good for an audience recording but beware of the loud SCREAMER right after Tori sings the first line.

  13. #463
    strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sactown
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    It is a crime against nature that we have no official recordings from NoH tour. That makes me saddest of all.
    Seriously! We got snoozy Beekeeper boots, tons of ADP shows (which I really enjoy) and then she does her best tour in years and.... NO BOOTS FOR YOU.

  14. #464
    Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,419
    I think you were right about Tori only releasing her most mediocre-to-worst shows, especially after and including WTSF. That was a really disappointing set list too, featuring more than half the songs that were on Venus Live, and in vastly inferior form.

    Venus Live -- yes, very nasally at times, but she sounded like that when in saw her that year in August, and it was still an awesome show. I think this is just how she sounds with the band, it's harder to project her vocal. Still, Little Earthquakes from Venus is one of my favorite live recordings ever. Bells for Her and Girl are way up there too.

    I will probably never go through all of the Legs & Boots again, but I do think she redeemed an awful-sounding album of unfinished songs with some great live versions. I may have never warmed up to half of ADP if not for these bootlegs. There were shockingly good highlights too.... hard to believe the best live version of Professional Widow (of all songs!!) is from this era.

    I will try to be fair and say that TBK tour had some really interesting moments, and I honestly liked the use of the hammond b3 most of the time... yes, even on The Beekeeper, although letting that song drag on for 10 minutes every night was a big mistake IMO. The covers were the worst thing about this tour, I'm so embarrassed to see the fumbling nasal opera that is Total Eclipse of the Heart and Like a Prayer somehow end up on the most-played Tori songs on itunes. I imagine more people are making fun of it than enjoying it.

  15. #465
    Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    It's a logical but imperfect analog. Ani DiFranco owns her record company; Tori does not. It's the record company who makes the most money when an album is sold (regardless of format, digital or physical.) In the best case Tori wouldn't make a ton of money from these kinds of releases, so why would she want to pursue something that means record companies she's had troubled relationships with in the past are getting paid? I have no direct evidence to support my claim, but I strongly suspect this is one of the primary reasons Tori doesn't release a lot of back catalog stuff. I think we can all reasonably assume she has considered these possibilities.
    Another point to consider in the Ani DiFranco comparison, editing and mixing acoustic guitar/vocal shows is a minor undertaking compared to full band shows with a grand piano. Ani's ProTools setup on the road for those first solo boots was her vocal mic, her guitar feed, (which changed almost every song but it's only one guitar per song,) and two audience mics. As long as everything was working correctly during the show, editing would be the bulk of the work in getting those recordings release ready. In most cases, mixing probably wasn't much more complicated than it was live.

    Editing and mixing even one full Tori show from the 98/99 period would be an undertaking, never mind reviewing tapes to find a full show that was releasable, which would be the first step. Plugged and the 99 shows had complicated stage set ups. Caton had a ton of patches and quite a few guitars, there were periodic problems with the MIDI rig on the Bosendorfer during Plugged, Matt had a bunch of different drums, and Tori's vocal FX were off the chain. That's a lot of simultaneously recorded tracks to deal with back when ProTools was in its infancy. Sad to say, some of those tapes might be a bust.

    Even when M&M were recording live b-sides for UTP and BFP, Mark said the reason it was a handful of b-sides instead of a full live album was because those were the best sounding tracks they got out of all the full shows they recorded and that was literally just Tori and the Bosendorfer on all of those tracks but Merry Widow. Granted, that was pre-ProTools, but M&M were recording exclusively digital before virtually anyone in the industry and doing it well. BFP doesn't sound like an early digital album. It sounds as good is as if it were fully analog. They knew what they were doing and live recording still wasn't completely reliable.

    I want this as much as anyone, but we might have to lower our expectations and be prepared to wait until Tori really slows down and actually needs something to do. That said, as long as it's a physical possibility, I don't see her ever not recording new music. She might stop touring at some point, but as long as she can sit and play, I suspect she'll always have a song to sing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •