Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broken Arrow

champagne spiritualist mr graeme's Avatar
    Loving this after not really getting it to begin with. Really reminds me of Williams Blood by Grace Jones for some reason, particularly when she sings "have we lost her?"
    working my way back to me again

Maybe it's just because I saw a production of it for the first time very recently, but I always think of Hair when I listen to this one.

This, Benjamin and Wildwood are my top 3 favorites on this album. I can't get over how awesome this song is. It's like SW meets Venus.

At first I wasn't sure what to think but now it's one of the highlights on NI for me.

This song is becoming my second favorite
    If not my favorite of the album

I think this would do well as a single.
    In an alternate universe where people know what good music is, that is.

I would love a video for it. Space-age protest rock theme.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    The opening line, "have we lost her" and "over you" bits alone totally do it for me. I also LOVE quiet echoed vocals in the last 10-15 seconds. Wasn't big on Broken Arrow at first, but it's grown on me immensely.

So Mark did a better job programming the drums this time compared to UG, but most of the album is very obviously still not real instruments (in many cases it works because they're not trying to sound as real as on UG). That said, I genuinely can't tell if the drums at the end of Broken Arrow are real, and I'm usually pretty good at hearing the fake stuff. Kudos to Mark if he programmed that section himself or broke out a real drum kit for 30 seconds. Can anyone definitively tell?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So Mark did a better job programming the drums this time compared to UG, but most of the album is very obviously still not real instruments (in many cases it works because they're not trying to sound as real as on UG). That said, I genuinely can't tell if the drums at the end of Broken Arrow are real, and I'm usually pretty good at hearing the fake stuff. Kudos to Mark if he programmed that section himself or broke out a real drum kit for 30 seconds. Can anyone definitively tell?
    I agree, the drums at the end are awesome. They don't sound fake to me, but then again, I'm no music expert. I just know I love them and they make me think of those Revolutionary war re-enactments where they have the drum line marching with the soldiers.

Maybe they used this:

Matt gets a thank you in the booklet after all...
    Last edited by RedHerring; 09-28-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I think Mark does sometimes play actual drums, he might record adn edit them together and then loop them even, but I don;t think it's all completely from an app. Still, it can sound pretty stilted .

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Listen to the samples in that video of the Matt Chamberlain loop software... if you time it right, you can make something that sounds virtually indistinguishable from real drums. Especially with other music going on around it. I'll bet that's exactly what Mark used tbh.

For the record I think the drums in the bridge are terrible. Like Geraldines bad. The song slipped from the top of my favorites because the drums and guitar are too slick, I don't know how he went from Wildwood and Bats to this.