Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wildwood

i'm gonna go get stoned in the forest and listen to this and it's going to be the best thing ever.

The myth of Persephone informs Wildwood – with a mother, Demeter, waiting for the return of her abducted child.

^ From Tori's revamped website...
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    The myth of Persephone informs Wildwood – with a mother, Demeter, waiting for the return of her abducted child.

@jacob's room @May H

We did good work there. Thanks for posting, @Beelust!

Also... (Edit: a little Google search showed that @andy brought up the Wildwood Tarot back in July.)

Look at the cover!

Last edited by hermes; 09-09-2017 at 11:30 PM.

I like this song, it feel like it has a link to Wedding Day. But I hate the way Tori sings 'Buppies'

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmejosef View Post
    @jacob's room @May H

We did good work there. Thanks for posting, @Beelust!

Also... (Edit: a little Google search showed that @andy brought up the Wildwood Tarot back in July.)

Look at the cover!

Woot!

Now I'm considering getting that deck for myself. I almost did, actually, when I was in Glastonbury last year, but I ended up getting the Celtic Tree Oracle (which I am obsessed with) instead. I'm thinking this would be a nice addition.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneforest View Post
    i'm gonna go get stoned in the forest and listen to this and it's going to be the best thing ever.
    where was the invite?
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

That tarot deck! If she hasn't actually seen it and been inspired by it, then she would definitely love to see it because it's on her wave length. One of the four suits is called "Arrows"! The Three of Stones is a woman growing out of a tree.

And "The Mirror" from the Major Arcana could be the Undine of the Sea from Bats.

I'm tempted to try to find a card matching each song, but I think that would be too much of a stretch.
    Black Diamond finally confessed

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post

Wow, this song is so darkwave... I can just see an early '90s video with Tori dressed in a cloak, with lots of superimposed footage of forests and the passing of time and shit.

Also what's up with Mark practically stealing Tori's thunder in the best song on the album?? This is the best he ever sounded, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    The backbone of the song reminds me very much of the intro to Liquid Diamonds from the 2005 Beekeeper tour. Only it's done with the Wurlitzer and guitar now, instead of the piano.
    It’s like Liquid Diamonds but above water.

Tori's thoughts on the song from the tour program and how the roots of it are in her affinity with the woods and a story about how she and Tash created the story of Persephone on their Christmas tree last year:

the various woods around the world that have shared energy
    are close friends
    and some I have sat with by a stream
    but others I have seen through people's photos of their experience
    read their kinship with the woods
    it is a shared affinity

the Christmas Tree always has something different than the year before
    that is because a new crop of tree ornaments along with those collected
    for over 20 years from around the world are in boxes
    that get opened some years, and others not, not sure why
    some are from a Christmas Market in Germany where I can still breathe in
    the spice of the mulled wine
    others from Ljubljana
    some wooded carved pieces from a Christmas Bazar in Bude

it took Tash and me 3 days to figure out the story on the 2016 tree
    pretty non stop while Mark was practicing his Yorkshires
    (we have to have practice bite size Christmas Dinner to make it easier- the chef makes the rules...)

Persephone was in the underworld when the Bongo Boys started to weave their story
    on the Christmas Tree
    Robert Graves wrote The Greek Myths which I had in my book bag
    some of those stories were in the air coming up the Indian River near a balmy Winter's Solstice
    Demeter would have to wait for her daughter's return
    Tash and I danced around the tree threading the story celebrating their future reunion
    The only thing I could find online about "bongo boys" is probably COMPLETELY UNRELATED to this song, but I thought it was kinda cool anyway. There's a band called The Bongo Boys and the little blurb about them on their Soundcloud page says this:

The Bongo Boys are three brothers who were abandoned as babies in the rainforest of Sumatra. They were raised by a former circus orangutan named Lulu. She was like their mother. She taught them the secret magic of the forest. Now they have come down from the trees to live with the humans. They plan on dancing.

I love that image, though.

I think someone asked this in another thread, but is the electric guitar really guitar in this song? It sounds very similar to Not David Bowie's guitar effect to me. Could it be keyboards?

I was actually thinking the same thing.

This has an almost psychedelic feel to it, dreamy and floral. A bit like Wedding Day in feel and owes a bit to the Beatles song 'Strawberry Fields'

I didn't have time to interpret and go deep into that song yet it's the one on NI that makes my eyes wet even if i'm just riding my bike back home from work. and i'm rarely that moved by a song. absolutely captivating.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    I am probably waaaaay off, but I could not stop trying to figure out the Bongo Boys part, and I came across this and somehow the imagery of bongo males basically having a dance off to try to get the attention of females fits, to me, with the image of "bongo boys" whirling behind the trees.

The eastern bongo (also known as the mountain bongo) is an Endangered species of antelope found in a remote region in Kenya, and is more vibrantly coloured than its western bongo counterpart. They are large, forest/jungle antelopes in which both sexes have large horns with a spiralling pattern (larger in the males). They tend to live in regions where elephant or clearing activity provides occasional clear land for grazing. Bongo are mostly solitary in their habits, though females will sometimes form small groups. Males that are trying to win the attention of a female will adopt ritualised displays, preferring not to fight. They are primarily nocturnal herbivores, eating all manners of plant matter,even unearthing tubers and roots with their horns. They get salt and minerals in their diet by finding natural salt licks, or consuming the burnt wood of trees hit by lightning.