Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wildwood

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Sorry if I'm blind and missed this being posted:

The Robert Graves Greek Myths was by my side during the writing of Native Invader. "Wildwood" is very much the story of Persephone's return after being in the underworld. Because I'm a minister's daughter, maybe I ran to myth, just needing some kind of different perspective, and then I ran to the gnostic gospels and trying to get early Christianity before it became overtaken by a patriarchy. We're seeing the word freedom being harnessed by American oligarchs, authoritarians, and women can be a part of that, but that has been really the force behind Native Invader -- to reinvade these words, like "freedom." Like "heritage." We're reclaiming these words, but for ourselves, as sovereign. Freedom is sovereignty. It doesn't get to be owned by a party. It's something that each of us has to reclaim for ourselves, and seeing these words getting twisted, like "liberty" ... It's been traumatizing. [Consequence of Sound - September 7, 2017]

the third verse is my favorite part of the album, specifically after she sings "it leads the way" and those drums really kick in.

This song has grown on me a lot. It's very pretty, but I just wish there was some kind of contrast in there somewhere. A bridge or different instrumentation somewhere. I tend to grow bored with songs that just kind of float along the same vibe for their whole length.

I think this song is from another time and place. cannot think of another Tori track that has the same effect on me. it's pure Tori and wildly experimental Tori at the same time
    incredible the first animal that dreamed of another animal

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrus658 View Post
    This song has grown on me a lot. It's very pretty, but I just wish there was some kind of contrast in there somewhere. A bridge or different instrumentation somewhere. I tend to grow bored with songs that just kind of float along the same vibe for their whole length.
    I think you might enjoy the more boring song structures if you smoked something before listening

Kidding - i love the relaxed vibe of this album though.
    Robbing the muse...

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    This song makes me happy instantly. There's like this lovely groove I can only imagine people dancing like a quick witchy/waltz around a bonfire right before it's too cold to be out doing so.. very like worship Moon Mother and the harvest. I live in a place where we experience 4 very distinct seasons. Harsh summers, bitter winters... and the most beautiful autumn.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    I think someone asked this in another thread, but is the electric guitar really guitar in this song? It sounds very similar to Not David Bowie's guitar effect to me. Could it be keyboards?
    I was thinking the same the other day. It could as well be Wurlitzer processed through effect pedals and heavily distorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    This song makes me happy instantly. There's like this lovely groove I can only imagine people dancing like a quick witchy/waltz around a bonfire right before it's too cold to be out doing so.. very like worship Moon Mother and the harvest. I live in a place where we experience 4 very distinct seasons. Harsh summers, bitter winters... and the most beautiful autumn.
    I love the imagery you created here! I love this song so, so much. I said it on another thread, it makes me feel like a warm summer day, it's so relaxed and her and Mark just play so well on it.

The verses of this just enfold you like a warm blanket, and the transition from chorus to verse makes my insides smile. If SW had been released in the 90s, it might have sounded like this. Intoxicating!

This is definitely up there as one of my favorite Tori songs ever, like Dragon, Tombigbee, or Hotel. The bass lines and the melody and rhythm remind me a lot of Sweet Sangria. I LOVE this song!

I just love how atmospheric the guitar makes this song.

I've really come to love this song. The lyrics are solid, the melody is pretty, the production is wonderfully atmospheric. I like 99% of it, but something about the way she sings "poppies" really, really gets on my nerves. Those harsh consonants don't fit the pretty melody at all.

I love this song. It makes me think of Loreena McKennit, in a good way--it's dreamy and atmospheric and lovely. I am really curious how it will sound live.
    I miss, I miss,/how you'd sigh yourself to sleep
    When I raked the springtime /across your sheets

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrus658 View Post
    I've really come to love this song. The lyrics are solid, the melody is pretty, the production is wonderfully atmospheric. I like 99% of it, but something about the way she sings "poppies" really, really gets on my nerves. Those harsh consonants don't fit the pretty melody at all.
    Perhaps you have a P sound complex. The hard P sound scares you. As in the pronunciation of "Penis"...
    Robbing the muse...

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    I legit can't stand "PPPiecing a PPPotion".... I'm quite frightened of hard P's!!!