Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tour Bitchfest Thread "OMG ONLY 14 SONGS"

My take on that, apart from her obvious personal issues, is this: she's usually at her best after she has pushed herself out of the comfort zone.

I consider her best tours to be, vocally and performance-wise, 1999, 2001 and 2014. If you think about it, 2001 came after she practiced her ass out with the band during all of 1998 and 1999. By the time she toured SLG, she was well trained and accustomed to a tight pace. You could hear she was free to fly and improvise without having to keep up with the band, yet still you could distinctly notice how tight her playing was, she was at ease with key changes and her voice could sustain difficult passages. Then on Scarlet's tour she loosened up, she and Matt and Jon developed their laid-back jamming formula where she could take her time to elongate whatever she wanted. Then it came 2005, and we all know how it went.

Same happened in 2014: she was coming from two tours with the quartet and the orchestra, plus she was determined to prove that she could still rock at 50 and, God, she did.
    Sadly, her voice has been hoplessly damaged and during that tour she stressed it so much by doing a lot of growls and other dangerous things (like the throathy belt on the bridge of PGY, which would technically be refered to as "the quickest way to fuck up your voice"). By the end of the tour, you could already hear how worn out she was. 2015 followed that path: there were very good shows, like the second date of Helsinki, and terrible ones, like Barcelona and Basel, but overall it was somehow inferior.

So, honestly, I already had a feeling this tour wasn't going to be top notch since I saw her performing at that fashion event in Milan early this year.

There are still a couple of performance I quite enjoy but, up to now, this tour is no better than 2009 or 2005. I'm still hoping to see her gain some strenght. It must be challenging for her, I totally get it, but I can't make myself enjoy these performances at all costs only because she's Tori Amos and it's tour time and I need to be on seventh heaven whatever she does.

Ok, now you can go on with your red-dot fest and public shaming. I've been raising up my hands, drive another nail in, I've got enough guilt to start my own religion (or forum)?
    Last edited by Carey; 09-11-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Well, I'll confess as well that this tour is leaving me a bit cold. And it's what you said, Venus_Envy, I'm concerned. I thought the promo was off from the start, but kept telling myself that was because of tour rehearsals, her mother, etc.

But I don't know, from what I see, and this is my personal opinion now, this tour seems heavy-handed, somber. The UG tour was lightier, I think, and rightfully so. I don't know but Tori seems to be getting really self-conscious with time, and it's showing now more than ever.

About playing new songs, that bothered me since 2014. Even more now that the album is so good. I get that she needs more time with them, and maybe she seems disconnected with them and the tour in general because of so many things happening right now.

Anyway, I'm loving the staging from this tour and her outfits (and no wigs! just extensions!). I do think that the backtracks are improved and I like ASF '17. Let's see how it rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Sadly, her voice has been hoplessly damaged and during that tour she stressed it so much by doing a lot of growls and other dangerous things
    It's noticable.

I mean look at this. She's been singing this song with ease for years, and suddenly she feels the need to breath-sing it rather than sing from her chest?

~just an underwater thing~

Quote Originally Posted by tart View Post
    she just did 16 songs ... are people still upset?
    seems like you're just pointing out that 16 songs is a more standard amount of songs to expect.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 09-15-2017 at 07:09 PM.

these days just seem to crush me
    Confession: i didnt find the shows i saw on the 2014 tour to be *that* amazing. They were solid shows, but i felt confused by all the praise from that tour and how she sounded. I find myself getting bored listening to the boots and think it's grating at times to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    Confession: i didnt find the shows i saw on the 2014 tour to be *that* amazing. They were solid shows, but i felt confused by all the praise from that tour and how she sounded. I find myself getting bored listening to the boots and think it's grating at times to listen.
    Which shows did you see, out of interest?
    ~just an underwater thing~

these days just seem to crush me
    St. Louis, Kansas City, & Chicago. Definite highlights for sure, but no show overly 'wow'd' me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Grace View Post
    I'd be ok with less than perfect vocals if she stayed on tempo.
    "You don't fuck to a metronome." : P

...oh and Loreena and her team have musicianship but it's painful and forced. Every show is the same. Down to the what seem like impromptu talking moments. So, to each their own. : )

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    ...oh and Loreena and her team have musicianship but it's painful and forced. Every show is the same. Down to the what seem like impromptu talking moments. So, to each their own. : )
    I saw Loreena last year at Massey Hall in Toronto. It was lovely but made me realize how amazing Tori is in concert (other concert I saw last year was PJ Harvey). Tori changes things up and is fascinating in concert.

I really love the jamming Tori is doing on Fairytale this year. It is exactly what I want to see her do in concert - she is reimagining the song - making her own little dance mix live on stage! Until about 8 minutes. Then I lose interest. She better shorten these soon.

Maybe the US tour will change IIEEE, Blood Roses, and Fairytale to Chocolate Song, Leather and Don't Make Me Come to Vegas (11 minute version). You never know...
    Robbing the muse...

I just really hope she works out Bang soon. I needed to hear it, and it would be such a good closer.

Last edited by YellowBird; 09-12-2017 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    It's noticable.

I mean look at this. She's been singing this song with ease for years, and suddenly she feels the need to breath-sing it rather than sing from her chest?

Alas. Also, those "hee's" are so strained that I just wonder why bother doing them, since they're not even part of the original song. This things she does when she sings high notes and she breathes all that air in, instead of breathing out, is harmful for the vocal chords and keeps the sound from coming out clearly.

St. Louis, Kansas City, & Chicago. Definite highlights for sure, but no show overly 'wow'd' me.
    If I remember correctly, those weren't among the best shows of the tour, so I may see your point. In Italy, for example, Rome and Padua were very good, while Milan seemed mediocre to me.

Anyway, here's a reputation comment I was just given: "you really are a fucking cunt and everybody is sick of your whining". Not signed, of course. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to reform school!
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

That was me, thanks for reminding me I forgot to sign it. You really are a cunt.
    My face screams without an emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    That was me, thanks for reminding me I forgot to sign it. You really are a cunt.

this album should have definitely had a band tour. i wish she would do it for the U.S. she needs to perform these new songs. and they need the full lush sound the album has.