Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tour Bitchfest Thread "OMG ONLY 14 SONGS"

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    A Sorta Fairytale has been 10 to 11+ minutes. That is 2 songs y'all! So she has really been playing 15 - 16 songs per venue.
    Honestly though, Fairytale has no business being this long. That's twice the length of the album cut. That's the length of the album cut combined with the album length of Gold Dust.

ok, I have a confession, although I don't think it should even be a confession. But since I got red-dotted (is that even a word?) over in the tour section for voicing this, I'm posting it here.

I am not feeling the love this tour. Allow me to explain...

I haven't seen a show yet. I could feel completely different when I see the tour myself, who knows. So this is just where I'm at now.

Watching the press for the album and the video's we've got so far, I don't think she's vocally doing well. She seems to be just going through the motions with a lot of her vocals. Is she ill? We know she was unwell in 2008/09 and it effected her vocals on that tour. Or is she just under-rehearsed? The lack of setlist variation seems to back that theory up - the last 3 tours have been considerably more varied night after night.

She seems to be detached and distracted right now, and understandably so. I mean, her mother had a stroke, her house and her family in Florida are getting battered by a hurricane. I'm sure some nights, performing for the crazies is the last place she wants to be. Hats off to her for sticking with the tour, lots of other people wouldn't. Though she's pretty much confirmed the tour was booked before Mary had her stroke.

And even the album promo. We're 5 nights into the tour and as of tonight, she's only played 2 new songs from the album? Even during the press, she's barely talked about the themes or feelings on this record, which is something she's always done. The only info she's given out really is what we got in the press release about the road trip and she's only talked specifically about new songs when pushed. She hasn't done her usually "there's a song on the record called X and when you hear it..." thing. Call me crazy, but she's seems uninterested in it, which is such a shame because it's such a great GREAT album.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising her for this. I'm concerned. I honestly can't help but feel like she seems really disenchanted and disengaged from her music, which even when the music wasn't that good, I've NEVER got that impression from her.

So yeh...not feeling it. I hope this changes before the UK dates as I'm going to all 3. Maybe she's still building her momentum? I don't know. I can't tell what's going on. Even worse, I'm getting shit for not feeling it from other people. I can't help it! I want to love it, I really do. But I'm not, and I thought this forum was a place where it would be ok that I wasn't feeling it. I sometimes think people can look at things through very ginger-tinted glasses. I mean, go back to The Dent and Undented and read the reviews of the 2005 and 2009 tours, they're pretty glowing. Yet in hindsight we know now that they were hit and miss at best.

And now I shall await a barrage of red dots for daring to question her superiority

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I like Goodbye Pisces!

I love Cars & Guitars! Don't tell anyone
    Last edited by Venus_Envy; 09-11-2017 at 09:02 PM.
    ~just an underwater thing~

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    GOD DAMN IT TORI FUCKING AMOS. I SPEND SO MUCH TIME AND ENERGY DURING THE FREAKOUTS, AND TO ONLY GET 14 SONGS!!!!!!! I AM DONE WITH YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!
    Right!!!11!!1 Fucking Tory, u broken my heart!!1!!
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

She could play two songs at my date (if I could afford it this time around) if she wants. As long as one of them is Pretty Good year.
    They say you were something in those formative years...

I think Tori has a great attitude this tour, but I have to agree from what I've seen via Youtube videos she's not performing at her best. Maybe she is at her best, but it's not near at the level she was performing at in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    I think Tori has a great attitude this tour, but I have to agree from what I've seen via Youtube videos she's not performing at her best. Maybe she is at her best, but it's not near at the level she was performing at in 2014.
    I don't even think that's it, because there's still moments of fire every night. I honestly think it's just that she's been so distracted with things happening in her personal life that the tour got a little neglected and she's unrehearsed. And not really wanting to be on tour right now. Not that she doesn't love performing, but not the best timing for her to be out there.

Tash is growing up too and getting to the point where she'll soon be starting a career of her own, that must be a bit emotional pull for her as well as her mother's health.

These things are all factors which could and likely will take her thoughts and emotions away from touring and promoting a record. I think she should take a well deserved break after the US dates, she's earned it.

she just did 16 songs ... are people still upset?

My take on that, apart from her obvious personal issues, is this: she's usually at her best after she has pushed herself out of the comfort zone.

I consider her best tours to be, vocally and performance-wise, 1999, 2001 and 2014. If you think about it, 2001 came after she practiced her ass out with the band during all of 1998 and 1999. By the time she toured SLG, she was well trained and accustomed to a tight pace. You could hear she was free to fly and improvise without having to keep up with the band, yet still you could distinctly notice how tight her playing was, she was at ease with key changes and her voice could sustain difficult passages. Then on Scarlet's tour she loosened up, she and Matt and Jon developed their laid-back jamming formula where she could take her time to elongate whatever she wanted. Then it came 2005, and we all know how it went.

Same happened in 2014: she was coming from two tours with the quartet and the orchestra, plus she was determined to prove that she could still rock at 50 and, God, she did.
    Sadly, her voice has been hoplessly damaged and during that tour she stressed it so much by doing a lot of growls and other dangerous things (like the throathy belt on the bridge of PGY, which would technically be refered to as "the quickest way to fuck up your voice"). By the end of the tour, you could already hear how worn out she was. 2015 followed that path: there were very good shows, like the second date of Helsinki, and terrible ones, like Barcelona and Basel, but overall it was somehow inferior.

So, honestly, I already had a feeling this tour wasn't going to be top notch since I saw her performing at that fashion event in Milan early this year.

There are still a couple of performance I quite enjoy but, up to now, this tour is no better than 2009 or 2005. I'm still hoping to see her gain some strenght. It must be challenging for her, I totally get it, but I can't make myself enjoy these performances at all costs only because she's Tori Amos and it's tour time and I need to be on seventh heaven whatever she does.

Ok, now you can go on with your red-dot fest and public shaming. I've been raising up my hands, drive another nail in, I've got enough guilt to start my own religion (or forum)?
    Last edited by Carey; 09-11-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Well, I'll confess as well that this tour is leaving me a bit cold. And it's what you said, Venus_Envy, I'm concerned. I thought the promo was off from the start, but kept telling myself that was because of tour rehearsals, her mother, etc.

But I don't know, from what I see, and this is my personal opinion now, this tour seems heavy-handed, somber. The UG tour was lightier, I think, and rightfully so. I don't know but Tori seems to be getting really self-conscious with time, and it's showing now more than ever.

About playing new songs, that bothered me since 2014. Even more now that the album is so good. I get that she needs more time with them, and maybe she seems disconnected with them and the tour in general because of so many things happening right now.

Anyway, I'm loving the staging from this tour and her outfits (and no wigs! just extensions!). I do think that the backtracks are improved and I like ASF '17. Let's see how it rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Sadly, her voice has been hoplessly damaged and during that tour she stressed it so much by doing a lot of growls and other dangerous things
    It's noticable.

I mean look at this. She's been singing this song with ease for years, and suddenly she feels the need to breath-sing it rather than sing from her chest?

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tart View Post
    she just did 16 songs ... are people still upset?
    seems like you're just pointing out that 16 songs is a more standard amount of songs to expect.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 09-15-2017 at 06:09 PM.

these days just seem to crush me
    Confession: i didnt find the shows i saw on the 2014 tour to be *that* amazing. They were solid shows, but i felt confused by all the praise from that tour and how she sounded. I find myself getting bored listening to the boots and think it's grating at times to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    Confession: i didnt find the shows i saw on the 2014 tour to be *that* amazing. They were solid shows, but i felt confused by all the praise from that tour and how she sounded. I find myself getting bored listening to the boots and think it's grating at times to listen.
    Which shows did you see, out of interest?

these days just seem to crush me
    St. Louis, Kansas City, & Chicago. Definite highlights for sure, but no show overly 'wow'd' me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Grace View Post
    I'd be ok with less than perfect vocals if she stayed on tempo.
    "You don't fuck to a metronome." : P

...oh and Loreena and her team have musicianship but it's painful and forced. Every show is the same. Down to the what seem like impromptu talking moments. So, to each their own. : )