Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chocolate Song

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think we've talked enough about how fucking amazing the last minute of this song is. Bang, Chocolate Song and Broken Arrow all have spectacular last-minute crescendos.
    absolutely! to me, these endings (along with Mary's Eyes as the album closer) are one of the main characteristics of NI.
    incredible the first animal that dreamed of another animal

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Is Mark suffering from a Borderline personality disorder or something?? Reading these lyrics, and That Guy, Welcome to England and Starling, he comes out as a quite difficult person to deal with!
    IDK. He kind of seems a bit like a cocky arsehole. But who really knows?

Every Tori Amos album has a song that my best friend becomes obsessed with for whatever reason (either he really likes it or finds something about it funny). It's "chocolate song" this time, and he keeps singing "Suddenly lucious chocolate" because he misheard it on his first listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    IDK. He kind of seems a bit like a cocky arsehole. But who really knows?
    This definitely goes along with some of the things I've heard fans say about him at shows.

It does not shock me in the slightest that Tori married a cocky arsehole. I imagine with the two of them being so headstrong and stubborn, shit gets REAL. But that passion maybe sustains them? IDK.

Anyway, I decided yesterday that I like this song.

^^ I've recently given in to it too. Even the "satiny luscious chocolate" part doesn't really bother me anymore.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    How would any of us feel to be married to a famous recording artist who constantly writes "break up songs" like Digital Ghost and Starling and Orange Knickers, and a whole bunch of songs about how shitty her marriage is, and a song that says "we used to be happy" and another song about how everything went downhill since the wedding day, with fans trashing you and calling you Yoko.... You'd probably have some reservations.

I don't look at Mark's pic from 2007 and see a cocky arsehole. Remember the pic where everyone thought he was the nanny? I stand by the theory that he went through a bad patch for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    How would any of us feel to be married to a famous recording artist who constantly writes "break up songs" like Digital Ghost and Starling and Orange Knickers, and a whole bunch of songs about how shitty her marriage is, and a song that says "we used to be happy" and another song about how everything went downhill since the wedding day, with fans trashing you and calling you Yoko.... You'd probably have some reservations.

I don't look at Mark's pic from 2007 and see a cocky arsehole. Remember the pic where everyone thought he was the nanny? I stand by the theory that he went through a bad patch for awhile
    That's what I'm thinking too. I don't know if he's an asshole, he could definitely be, but from Tori's songs he comes out as a person who's truly struggling, that's what I meant when I brought out the borderline personality. It is a disorder that originates from feeling internally wrong, unworthy and terrified of being abandoned. You accumulate a lot of anger that emerges into periodical outbursts of rage, and you can't help but destroy everything. You swing from idealizing your partner to demonize her/him.

When she sings:

within the tension of your opposites
    somehow the lingering sweetness
    without betraying your bitterness
    or

swinging from extremes
    the lows so low the highs so high
    from throwing knives to dessert stirring
    our tight rope act just balancing

then I hear your pain screaming at me
    hear your pain screaming
    it really seems like a literal description of the borderline behaviour, or a bipolar disorder (basing on little I know). It's like being haunted by an inner demon, and in fact she talks about "a devil access" (Welcome to England) and a "demanding dark angel" (Wings). Then in That Guy he "smashes the best possibilities/can love like no one loves until the darkness comes".
    Of course I'm talking about things I don't know, these songs could refer to other people/coulples, so let's just say that's what this "male character" makes me think of. If it's Mark, he must have suffered a lot.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."