Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Climb

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar

Climb

I need to start a new thread for this song. It is my favorite right now, together with Bang for wich I just printed out the lyrics. PRINTED THEM OUT! I don't know when I last felt the need to do that for a Tori Amos song.

Anyway. Climb is great for so many reasons: The lyrics, the melody, the mood. But I just noticed one thing while listening to the song with good headphones. For the first time in forever, I could actually picture Tori in the studio, recording this song. Why? Because I could HEAR it. I could hear her breathing, I could hear her opening her mouth, her lips, her tongue. You can hear her playing the Piano, the pedals, everything. All of this adds so much to this song.

There has not been a song in a long time that felt so intimate to me. Maybe Scarlet's Hidden Treasures was the last time.

It's my favourite right now.

It's my favorite as well.

Only "Reindeer King" is ahead of this one for me. It is an achingly beautiful song and has my favorite lyrics on the entire album.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    It's gorgeous. It's perfect. It's touching. It's so vulnerable and beautiful.

I like the little addition of the tambourine (?) being placed down at the end. A really nice song, with just enough touches of additional instrumentation to keep it interesting. A+!

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    It is stunningly beautiful. The lyrics are stellar. It's the best song on the album and one of the best she's ever recorded. It also has me balling my eyes out. I cannot explain it fully - this song just resonates with me.

This one just left me speechless. It's a classic for sure. I don't even want to try to pick it apart.

The last stanza are my favorite Tori lyrics in... ever?

"Climb out of the belly of the beast" she said
    "Become a witness out of the abyss
    The temple of the soul will have to heal the flesh
    Only when you're whole can you forgive
    But it's a long long climb
    It's a long long climb"

My god this song. I feel like in the 90´s again. Crying to a Tori song. It´s just so beautiful. I love her lower registrer. It gives me calm. Although I love most of the songs in NI, this is by far my favourite in this moment.

Why Tori songs come in the times when I most need them. I will never know.
    Last edited by datura1452; 09-09-2017 at 12:49 PM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Veronica
    The song Climb by Tori Amos on her 2017 album Native Invader contains repeated references to Saint Veronica.

That was quick!
    you have touched my life
    so that now cathedrals of sound are singing

The bridge:

Dream of dimensions
    Then cross through the veil to them
    Wrap yourself in linen holding Jesus close
    Calling Saint
    Calling Saint
    Saint Veronica

Saint Veronica is known as the woman who offered a cloth to Jesus so He could wipe His face on the way to His crucifixion.

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=1953

According to Church tradition, Veronica was moved with pity when she saw Jesus carrying his cross to Golgotha and gave him her veil that he might wipe his forehead. Jesus accepted the offering, held it to his face, and then handed it back to her—the image of his face miraculously impressed upon it. This piece of cloth became known as the Veil of Veronica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Veronica

Sorry for the back-to-back posts. This song is affecting me like whoa. I have it on repeat and you guys wouldn't believe how many times I've listened to it already. The only other Tori song that has gone straight to my heart is Doughnut Song. I used to play it for MONTHS on repeat to and from work and it is still my favorite but this little song is giving it a run for its money.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    This is tied with Reindeer King and Wildwood for my favorite song, and it amazes me that I can say there is even one song 25 years into ANY artist's career that is among the best they've written and performed. "all of me wants to believe" is a perfect use of the doubled vocals she's been so fond of in recent years! For me, this is probably the song on the album that would most easily fool me if you told me she wrote it in the '90s.

Pardon me for being lazy, but I'd love to hear some interpretation of these lyrics. I'm not getting very far...