Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bats

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Beginning piano part is very "Angels"-like.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Holy shit, this song grew on me like Ebola. I think it's my favorite now.

"the kindly ones are here with meeeeeeeee!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    Bats have the ability to see in the dark - they are very intelligent creatures. Tori refers to scientists / knowledge as bats... in this dark time when data / REAL facts / science are being hidden. e.g. denial of climate change and conservative governments silencing research. Scientists / knowledge need to keep working at night in the dark where no one can see - but they are still there and very important (just like bats being integral - they eat many insects). The night / dark also fits with the hidden underwater / dark themes.
    I'll have a few more listens with this in mind, and maybe it will help!

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    The only thing I can find that might link the word bat to a person from a college is Bachelor of Arts in Teaching. I guess she could have used that somehow.

This song has been in my brain all day. It's turning out to be very addictive.

Yep. On repeat in my head all day today.

A sculpture by Chauncey Bradley Ives called "Undine Rising from the Waters." Gorgeous.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    ^ Wow! What is this song about? The lyrics are so intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    ^ Wow! What is this song about? The lyrics are so intriguing.
    According to Tori:

The EPA and climate change deniers are also tackled on a song called "Bats." Its dramatis personae are water creatures -- the Undines of the Sea -- and its inciting incident is humankind's betrayal of nature.

There is a flirtation with "Benjamin" [which follows "Bats" on the record] in this song. I think once the EPA announced the people that were going to be the caretakers of the country, it seemed like we needed to remember that, maybe there was an agreement that was made thousands and thousands of years ago between humanity and that which is on the other side of the veil -- the Devas that rule nature and work with nature -- maybe they do remember the agreement. The bats definitely remember. And so, humans have probably forgotten this agreement but the problem is they've been warning us, they'll wreak havoc, they're wreaking havoc right now. And will continue to do so. [The 405 - September 5, 2017]

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Thanks!

I love this song. It's got the witchy vibe of Wildwood and it's in my head all of the time. I also think the lyrics are good & I don't have a single cringey moment. I love bats, too, so I was on board with this immediately.
    I miss, I miss,/how you'd sigh yourself to sleep
    When I raked the springtime /across your sheets

I really get a Beauty of Speed vibe from this one for some reason.

This is a sonic sister of Bug a Martini and Siren.
    Last edited by TheTruthSeeker; 09-16-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Not hearing either of those in it, but something reminds me of the piano riff from Barons of Suburbia - which I love (just the piano riff), whilst hating with a passion every damn thing else about that song. I'm happy she put something similar in a song I actually love!

Up there with my favourites from NI.

Someone mentioned it was like Beauty of Speed, but that it felt like it didn't go anywhere. I actually disagree, I think Bats is a perfect example of how restrained Tori was with some of the songs on NI. There's no jarring bridge (ie. America, Rose Dover, Starling) ... it just kind of effortlessly flows. Also love the lyrics and imagery. It's also sonically a sister song to Wildwood for me, so it helps tie the album together for me.

Love!