Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mary's Eyes

This one is so special and I can not stop listening to it. It manages to be both incredibly vulnerable and totally resolute at the the same time. I'm in awe.

I also think it's some of the best production on the album; the strings, the twinkly sounds. It creates its own special atmosphere.

I'll doubt we'll ever hear this one live, which is both a total loss but also I'm not sure I'd want her to push herself through this on stage.

it's my favorite closer since "gold dust."

The 'death midlife' lyric that's written but not sung definitely expands the narrative interp of this song. Let us not forget that Tori is also actually a Mary, as is her sister (Myra and Marie both being forms of Mary). Tori talked about that being one of the reasons she wanted to change her name when she was young.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Wow - the lyrics of this song just registered in my brain. My god. What a song for Tori. Very different for her, to me. Quite epic. I don't hear it Disney. It's so lovely.

The time changes in the solo piano sections add to the tension and give the song a subversive urgency, the desire to reach through and bring Mary back to herself. So heartbreaking.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I don't hear anything twee or Disney or schmaltzy here. I hear one of her most truly beautiful songs. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    So heartbreaking.
    You're so right @Owen. It is *so* heartbreaking. And lovely. This song is amazing.

When she sings "we must get her to Joy To The World" am I right in thinking she is almost begging her mother's soul to hold on until Christmas time because the carols and hymns always brought her happiness and are "the key"?

This song makes my heart just ache.
    They say you were something in those formative years...

Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreen View Post
    When she sings "we must get her to Joy To The World" am I right in thinking she is almost begging her mother's soul to hold on until Christmas time because the carols and hymns always brought her happiness and are "the key"?

This song makes my heart just ache.
    You are so right! Thanks for sharing.

besides Reindeer King, do you think there's also a connection to Bang ?

"hymns for us to sing" < - > "then the heavens opened / and then I heard voices ..."
    "patterns matter / stringing sequences together ..." < - > listing the elements in Bang

It's like a thread that goes from Reindeer King to Bang to Mary's Eyes