Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet & Greet Advice

Alpha in her blood achillthatbends's Avatar

Meet & Greet Advice

So on 4th October I will be seeing Tori at the Royal Albert Hall. I've never attempted to do a meet & greet before and wondered if you had any advice? I heard it's best to arrive early (how early I don't know) and just sit around the RAH somewhere. But it's a huge venue and I don't really know what I'm doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA...

Would usually expect a pretty big crowd for the London M&G.
    I would say arrive to the venue around 11am, there should already be a few people there by then, from memory last RAH meet and greet happened at one of the big glass fronted entrance halls towards the back section of the venue.

If you wander around you should see a few people already waiting there, you'll absolutely be able to spot a group of tori fans :P
    Just going the queue, make some new friends and wait it out until Tori appears

Alpha in her blood achillthatbends's Avatar
    Thanks, mate. Shall do!

I'm planning on going to the Toronto one too, I don't really remember the last time I went to one so I'll take any advice too !

What time do they usually happen?

Purely based on my experiences:

1) Don't be an asshole. There will be plenty of people there trying to ruin everyone else's time as it is, so just be respectful and patient.

2) Once you get to Tori, thank her, take your photo/get you shit signed, and BE ON YOUR WAY. Other people are in line behind you and she more than likely will have a soundcheck that she needs to get to at some point.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    What time do they usually happen?
    I think usually between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m., maybe as late at 3:00. People will get there as early as 7:00 a.m. to start lining up.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

If you really want to meet her, I'd say you show up at 9 a.m. The earlier the better. Usually she comes out between 3 and 4 p.m. from my past experiences. Not sure what time she's come out this tour.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    If you've never met her (or anybody famous you deeply respect before), prepare yourself mentally for that experience, because it can be very surreal, and your own reaction may surprise you. I had the opportunity to meet her once, and *could barely speak*, and it was awkward for me and disappointing. I'm a fairly extroverted person and not at all shy... never in a million years would have predicted this outcome. It was a huge surprise to me.

Here's what I learned - Have your question or comment on the tip of your tongue. Be clear on the message you want to communicate going in. She's a pro at these things - making quick, personal-feeling connections, then moving on with great efficiency. You won't have much time, so be clear what you want to get out of it!

I'm a sensible girl GirlForPele's Avatar
    ^^Very true. I basically forgot how to speak when I first met Tori. I hadn't been nervous while waiting in line, but when it came time to actually speak with her, I...realized I hadn't really prepared myself.

Also, last tour I went to the Philly meet & greet, got there around 10am or so, and the line was already long. They decided to cut the line literally right in front of me. So I spent hours in the hot sun and still didn't get to meet her. (I have met her twice before though, and that's enough, I doubt I'll head to another m&g again. Plus I met some cool people while waiting in line!)
    When pianos try to be guitars...out of my black and white world

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    If you've never met her (or anybody famous you deeply respect before), prepare yourself mentally for that experience, because it can be very surreal, and your own reaction may surprise you. I had the opportunity to meet her once, and *could barely speak*, and it was awkward for me and disappointing.
    I met her once and was playing it cool. Then she asked me name and how to spell it and I was like

Power to those who go up to her and can actually get a thought out naturally.

I forget how to speak when I meet... literally any human I've never met before. I honestly have my boyfriend come with me to merch tables to tell artists "my boyfriend is really shy but he loves you can can you sign this?" Meeting Tori is pretty much a non-starter for me haha.

I don't think I can do the NOLA M&G. I teach until noon that day, and then I'll have to drive 3-4 hours from the Florida Panhandle (which is in part why I'm looking to buy an ATL ticket from some kind soul!). I've been to 12 shows since 2001 and probably five meet and greets. (In 2001, my friends wouldn't go with me; in 2002, my friend held a shit for HOURS, and she waved at us, and we considered it a success; in 2003, my boyfriend and sister hated each other and also wouldn't go with me; and in 2005, 2009, and 2011, I didn't try; and, in 2014, I was right at the cutoff point in DC!) I'm terrible at meeting Tori, apparently.

I did successfully meet her in 2007. I feel like that tour had really well-organized M&Gs. I had it basically planned: I wrote her a letter on the inside cover of a book I gave her that I thought she'd like (In the Realm of the Diamond Queen, an ethnography of a "marginal" people/place in Indonesia, IIRC, that basically argues that there's no such thing as "the margins" because everything is linked and affects everything else; it's beautiful, and I'm not doing it justice--but doesn't it kind of sound familiar now that we have "Bang"...ten years later?). I don't remember what the letter said except "Thank you for everything your music has done for me and blah blah blah." I also (in the letter) asked if maybe she'd play "Honey" because [story about "Honey" and how she's my favorite] and "Father Lucifer" because [story about FL and how I used to think it was blasphemous, and isn't that funny?]. I remember being sort of paralyzed, like, "Hi, I got you this book," and she looked at it like she was really reading the back cover. My friend was taking pictures, and I look really animated, but I felt so wooden! And then my friend, who isn't a large person but isn't, like, bird boned the way I am, took my picture with Tori, and Tori asked her if she wanted a picture, and my friend said, "Sure," and in the pictures, Tori looks elvish, and my friend looks like a giant, and I look like a 12-year-old boy! I have basically no recollection of it except that she's SO enchanting in person and so calming. Even in that 2007 Tori wig! I'd like to meet her again in part so that I can remember it and in part because I'd like to look better in the pictures (because I dress better now and know how to make my hair look decent!).

I have no real hints, though. Bring a prop?

You can bring your dog.

I got three.