Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Hair Care Q&A

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    I have very fine, breakage-prone hair, and a lot of it, and it tends toward the oilier side of things. It pretty much always looks lifeless and dull, even right after I get it cut. I always end up with the same shoulder-length, shapeless nothing because it grows out of a style super fast, then just gets stuck. I've been to several stylists, all with different methods, and it's always the same story.

I don't really know what my question is. I guess, what should I do differently? I use gentle products and avoid heat for the most part. I'm starting to think I just have faulty hair.

I have lots of very fine hair, but it does not break easily. It pretty much does whatever I want it to! It is also super greasy, but I hate hairwashing and styling so I use Batiste in between shampoos. It smells great, and livens things up. I also hold curl or straight like a champion. My natural texture is wavy, but not in a good way. It needs to be tamed. I keep it pretty short, but only because I like funky cuts. What is your natural air-dry hair like? And what do you want it to look like?
    all i want to do is take naps on the sun

Sansa Spark, is your hair naturally straight or do you have any wave?

My hair sounds just like yours, and I use a Kevin Murphy volumizer at the roots, which gives it just enough lift so it's not flat against my head. I wonder if that might help with styling.

spoilered for size

Does anyone have recommendations for hair that won't grow? I had a fairly traumatic health issue happen last year, and hormones and everything have not been the same. My hair is now thin as hell (I have fine hair, but used to have a lot of it, not so any longer), and I can't get it to grow to save my life. Been doing lots of vitamins. But to no avail.

It's naturally a little wavy, but it has to be coaxed into either full-on waviness or flat-ironed half to death. If make it wavy, I use a combo of leave-in conditioner and sea-salt spray.

I'd love to know if a conditioner (leave-in or otherwise) exists that will both help it break less AND not weigh it down. Of course, it's pretty heavy since it's just in a grown-out shallow bob right now. There's a side-swept bang thing going on, but otherwise it's almost all the same length. I have my eye on a really cool V-cut, which I've never had before, so maybe the different lengths will help with the whole droopiness thing.

Girl Friday, I wish I had some advice, but mostly just wanted to say I hope that all is well with your health now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansa Spark View Post
    Girl Friday, I wish I had some advice, but mostly just wanted to say I hope that all is well with your health now.
    Thanks hon, everything but my hair is well.

Have you tried Biotin pills or shampoo? They have helped me in the past.

I have heard of hair / scalp massages - maybe it is worth giving it a try, here are some infos and links:
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6074550AAA2Ezk

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarella View Post
    Have you tried Biotin pills or shampoo? They have helped me in the past.
    Biotin AND folic acid AND Vitamin E. My skin and nails (which were also bad off for a while also) look great.

Thanks for the link CC.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I went to the doc last week. I got someone different this time. She said I don't have SD (which the last doc said I had), but I have psoriasis on my scalp. Looking online, it seems really hard to tell the difference without a biopsy and the treatment is identical, so I guess the diagnosis doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I got a steroidal cream. In good news, it seems to be working. In less than a week my itching is nearly gone most of the time. It's fantastic. In bad news, why the fuck did I get a CREAM to put on my scalp? Half the time it just gets smooshed up in my hair. Does anyone have any good tips for putting thick cream on the back of your own very hairy head? When this Rx runs out, I might call to ask if I can get a gel or liquid or shampoo instead, but in the meantime, I'm making a mess and wasting it.

You can get corticosteroids in liquid form, usually in some form of isopropyl alcohol suspension in a needle-nosed bottle for easy application. I had some Betnovate in that form years ago for some scalp inflammation. It stings somewhat due to the alcohol, but it's an effective and less messy form of application than trying to squidge cream in there.

They have lots of other steroid options. Clobex spray is a new branded product that is strong, sprays well, and is easier than a cream. I don't know what your financial situation is, but I would really suggest that biopsy to determine if you have psoriasis or another inflammatory skin condition. Psoriasis can have systemic effects as well, and you may want those biopsy results one day if you need additional care. Hopefully you don't, it stays manageable with topicals and all is well. Good luck!

And to whomever is losing hair: doctor's visit for lab work would be a good start if dandruff shampoo (used as a scalp wash, not as a shampoo, let sit for 2 minutes before rinsing) and biotin/Folic acid/zinc supplementation doesn't show you some new growth "baby" hairs in about a month.
    all i want to do is take naps on the sun