Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Care Q&A

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar

Hair Care Q&A

there's one for skincare, so I thought maybe a hair thread was in order.

I'm hoping to get some recommendations. I have fine/thin hair and products have always been a problem for me. I currently have a sort of bob. It's superclose in the back an longer (just long enough to tuck behind my ears) in the front. I'm thinking of going shorter on top- kind of like Keira Knightly's a while back. I don't want to do it unless I'll be able to snaz it up with a good product. I like the chunky, piecey look, but have never been able to achieve it well. All the products I've tried just weigh my hair down after a few minutes. Anyone with similar problems found something that works?

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    Can this be for Hair Dye Q&A too? I need something to strip the colour out! It's awful! I'd prefer that it only strip the chemical colour and NOT my actual hair colour.

When I had much shorter hair, Aveda Humectant Pomade worked wonders to piece my hair, keep it in place, and keep it from getting frizzy (because underneath, it's naturally curly). I have also used Short Sexy Hair Texture Cream with great success. With your hair being longer, it's hard to say if those products would do what you are hoping to achieve, but I'd still recommend giving them a test run.

Abi - I have never stripped color at home. I would trust that to a professional. If you got a color you didn't want, however, you can always go over it with a different color to correct it. I once accidentally end up with a copper penny red, but a brown/black turned it to a more manageable deep cherry red until it could fade down to a nice brown.

I have fine/thin hair as well and had an angular bob a while back. I found that the best thing to use was a texturizer/root lifter--- sparingly. You don't want a lot of product on the ends, or anything that is too humectant or moisturizing. A lot of short hair products tend to be heavy because they assume you're trying to tame hair into a shape. But if you're trying to create volume, less is more.

I liked Redekin's root lifter. I can't remember what it's called but it comes in a green bottle with a pump sprayer. I'd spray it onto my fingertips and work it into the roots, then browdry with a huge round brush for a smooth look or grab small chunks from the top crown and backcomb very lightly to get the piecey look. John Frieda has a cheap root lifter as well, and it lasts forever. The one I got is part of the "blonde" line but I'm sure it doesn't matter, and he probably makes it in whatever line corresponds to your color.

You'll never leave Harlan alive. orange shampoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abi View Post
    Can this be for Hair Dye Q&A too? I need something to strip the colour out! It's awful! I'd prefer that it only strip the chemical colour and NOT my actual hair colour.
    If you used permanent color, I'd go to a pro. I've used ColorOops twice and it's wonderful. But I've only used it with semi-permanent dyes. The first, Clairol's Natural Instincts, came out with no issue whatsoever -- just a very minor lightening of my hair (which was actually the peroxide in the color, not the ColorOops) that didn't even produce a grow-out line.

My second experience wasn't so hot. I used L'Oreal's new Healthy Look color and, after stripping, I was left with a disgusting brassy strawberry blonde. I had that professionally fixed and I'm now a redhead.

I guess my point is the success of color stripping depends on what was put on your hair and what it did to the hair shaft in the first place, which you don't necessarily know until you try stripping it out. Some stuff comes out better than others.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    It was a semi-perm colourant. I've used a colour corrector once before and it practically bleached my hair. I'd like something I'll not have to put colour back over. I didn't realise how light my hair had gotten in the sun and this colour is incredibly dark and far too plummy for something that says "chocolate brownie" on the box.

I once bought a permanent hair dye that was ash blonde on the box but it turned my hair grey...and slightly lavenderish in places! But I was very poor at the time and couldn't afford to go to a salon to fix it or even buy another box of hair colour. What I did was mix lemon juice with some conditioner and put that on my hair and let it sit for an hour. The acid in the lemon stripped the ash colour off and left my hair a beautiful golden blonde. Of course, I wouldn't recommend you do that since you have a dark colour but it did work for me.

Tomorrow is another day cinny~lou's Avatar
    ^ When I was first dyeing my hair and got it "too" red, I washed it with dishsoap that had bleach in it...Your plan sounds a little more organic!

I've heard of using dishsoap to strip colour off too, just not one containing bleach!

Tomorrow is another day cinny~lou's Avatar
    ^ Yeah...it was a little harsh. But it worked!

Oy With The Poodles Already!
    So I have the opposite problem...how can I keep the color IN my hair? I dyed my hair on Wednesday w/ Garnier Nutrisse Medium Intense Red color and three days later it is still washing out big time. Every time my hair gets even a little wet I have orangey-red water dripping all over me. The color is already fading too. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

There are glazes you can put in your hair which will help make it shiny, but also seal it a bit so color doesn't come out as fast. Wash less often, if wash out is a problem. Use only color safe shampoos, possibly those without sulfates, and cover your hair with a hat to prevent sun fading. Maybe use colder water too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeth View Post
    There are glazes you can put in your hair which will help make it shiny, but also seal it a bit so color doesn't come out as fast. Wash less often, if wash out is a problem. Use only color safe shampoos, possibly those without sulfates, and cover your hair with a hat to prevent sun fading. Maybe use colder water too.
    I second all of that. I have very, very red hair, and I've kept the fading to a minimum by using a red-tinted shampoo and conditioner, and then I add a red glaze every week. Shower every other day, two or three days if you can stretch it. Red is such a hard color to maintain, but damn is it gorgeous!

If you find you need to redye your hair, I recommend going to Sally's and looking at Loreal's HiColor hair dye. That stuff is pretty intense! I think the one I used was Red Hot and it's just lovely.

aveda makes great color tinted shampoos & conditioners - i used to use the madder root a lot

http://www.amazon.com/Aveda-Madder-R...N%3DB0007CXWWY
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    I have found, unfortunately, that at home reds just don't work for me. If I want to go really, really red, I absolutely have to get it done professionally.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.