Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Hair Care Q&A

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I went to the doc last week. I got someone different this time. She said I don't have SD (which the last doc said I had), but I have psoriasis on my scalp. Looking online, it seems really hard to tell the difference without a biopsy and the treatment is identical, so I guess the diagnosis doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I got a steroidal cream. In good news, it seems to be working. In less than a week my itching is nearly gone most of the time. It's fantastic. In bad news, why the fuck did I get a CREAM to put on my scalp? Half the time it just gets smooshed up in my hair. Does anyone have any good tips for putting thick cream on the back of your own very hairy head? When this Rx runs out, I might call to ask if I can get a gel or liquid or shampoo instead, but in the meantime, I'm making a mess and wasting it.

You can get corticosteroids in liquid form, usually in some form of isopropyl alcohol suspension in a needle-nosed bottle for easy application. I had some Betnovate in that form years ago for some scalp inflammation. It stings somewhat due to the alcohol, but it's an effective and less messy form of application than trying to squidge cream in there.

They have lots of other steroid options. Clobex spray is a new branded product that is strong, sprays well, and is easier than a cream. I don't know what your financial situation is, but I would really suggest that biopsy to determine if you have psoriasis or another inflammatory skin condition. Psoriasis can have systemic effects as well, and you may want those biopsy results one day if you need additional care. Hopefully you don't, it stays manageable with topicals and all is well. Good luck!

And to whomever is losing hair: doctor's visit for lab work would be a good start if dandruff shampoo (used as a scalp wash, not as a shampoo, let sit for 2 minutes before rinsing) and biotin/Folic acid/zinc supplementation doesn't show you some new growth "baby" hairs in about a month.
    all i want to do is take naps on the sun