Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Care Q&A

Tomorrow is another day cinny~lou's Avatar
    I've actually gone back to the color I felt was "too red". At the time I was using more of a strawberry blonde shade, but went full red a few years ago. I needed to ease into it, apparently.

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlefish View Post
    I second all of that. I have very, very red hair, and I've kept the fading to a minimum by using a red-tinted shampoo and conditioner, and then I add a red glaze every week. Shower every other day, two or three days if you can stretch it. Red is such a hard color to maintain, but damn is it gorgeous!

If you find you need to redye your hair, I recommend going to Sally's and looking at Loreal's HiColor hair dye. That stuff is pretty intense! I think the one I used was Red Hot and it's just lovely.

I'm using the John Frieda Radiant Red shampoo and conditioner. What are you using for the red glaze if you don't mind me asking?

I found the glaze at Ulta; it's where the John Frieda stuff would be, and it was something like $10. Another thing I've thought about doing is mixing Manic Panic with some cheap Suave shampoo and using that as a glaze. I wonder how that holds, though.

Cool beans thanks!

P.S. Has anyone in here ever tried the InStyler? I see cheesy infomercials for it sometimes. I'm considering trying it because I find my hair nearly impossible to fix. I think I'm doing everything the stylist does, but eh. It falls apart quickly. I'm just not good at fixing it, but the InStyler looks like it would do what I would like for my hair to do. I'm worried about damaging my hair, however. And I'm worried about paying too much for something that may or may not work. I've read very mixed reviews online. Have any of you tried it and if so, can you please do tell about your experiences with it?

Quote Originally Posted by eresos View Post
    aveda makes great color tinted shampoos & conditioners - i used to use the madder root a lot

http://www.amazon.com/Aveda-Madder-R...N%3DB0007CXWWY
    I agree. As a platinum ash blonde (think more white than gold) I recommend Aveda's blue malva - it works on any hair color, but the violet color really helps to remedy any yellowing/hard water damage to the follicle. Bumble&Bumble and Kerastase Paris offer similar products as well, although they can get a bit more expensive.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    L'oreal do a red glaze! It was about £4 over here.

You'll never leave Harlan alive. orange shampoo's Avatar
    I dyed my hair yesterday. ColorSilk Auburn Brown. Well, it was definitely more auburn than brown because I have clown red hot roots (where my hair was its natural dark blonde). I actually think it's kinda cool looking for now; it's funky (I'll just need to sort it out and look "normal" by October). Does anyone know:

1. How long should I ideally wait to re-dye?

2. Can you mix colors of the same brand? I used ColorSilk Medium Golden Chestnut Brown last time, and I'm thinking that mixed with the Auburn Brown would produce exactly the balance of brown and red that I'm looking for.

At least a week before redyeing at home to let your hair settle. I did three dyes in two days once and it killed my hair.

As for color mixing, I would call the number on the box. When my hair turned a color I did not intend for years back I called to complain and they advised me which brand/color to buy to fix it. They also sent me a coupon for free product to make up for the one that went so wrong.

You'll never leave Harlan alive. orange shampoo's Avatar
    I used Color Oops and stripped the color out of my hair. It's kind of a lovely shade of strawberry blonde now. I'm planning on leaving it for a week or so and then trying a demi-permanent (of my natural color) that I picked up at Sally Beauty.

Can you guys recommend to me a very light product to just keep my hair tame and neat, but still look natural? I don't want something that's really heavy or high maintenance. I have thick, wavy hair.

LUSH King of the Mods (get it?) gel has worked wonders for my hair. If I put it in when my hair is wet, it dries into nice soft curls that stay put. If I put it on straightened hair, I don't get flyaways. And it's made with oils, so my hair does not dry out but oddly enough it also does not get greasy. I dip one finger in and use whatever comes out (it's very fluid). One container lasted me over six months.

Although I have a lot of ill will for Lush these days, I bloody love King of the Mods. Great hair fixer-upper and it smells brilliant. It's definitely an odd one, keeps my hair nicer for longer while also being a styling gel? Good stuff. I like the Goth Juice too, but that's a more obvious hold and some people don't like the smell of that one so much. It's pretty pricey though, so try and sample it/try it out before you buy just in case it's not what you're after.

If you do go into Lush and mention something for taming your hair, they might try to sell you R&B. BEWARE. It's designed with brittle, tight black hair in mind and it's really fucking heavy. They're trying to sell it to everyone regardless, saying it's very versatile, and it is, but I could NEVER use it straight on dry hair as a finishing product without looking like a ginger oil slick. May be better on thick, curly hair though.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    I would like to buy a ceramic flat iron, but the one recommended to me (CHI) retails for over $100. Can anyone recommend more reasonably priced that still works well? I see TIGI has one for about $30.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    My suggestion is to check out TJ Maxx or Marshalls. I've seen a CHI in there for less than $100. In fact, I think it was closer to $50.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.