Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Care Q&A

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo

I got my CHI from folica.com a few years back. I waited for a sale and don't think I paid more than $75. Still kinda pricey, but soo worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by It's the Devil I love View Post
    I would like to buy a ceramic flat iron, but the one recommended to me (CHI) retails for over $100. Can anyone recommend more reasonably priced that still works well? I see TIGI has one for about $30.
    I bought a Paul Mitchell flat iron on ebay for around $80. Still pricey, but worth every penny. I had been using cheap Revlon ceramic flat irons ($25-$30) and I'm so glad I switched. My hair is straighter and sleaker, less prone to frizz, and dare I say healthier. Not to mention I can straighten it in half the time.

I got an Ion brand straightener from Sally's (yeah, I know) for about $70 and it's been going strong for 4 years now. I'm still pretty impressed, though all of my hair dressers use Paul Mitchell or GHD irons so I would say if you can find one cheap, go for it.

So. I'm about to chop all of my hair off and dye it blonde. I haven't been a blonde in over a decade, so it's going to be an interesting change. I have some questions, though. And...there are pics!

This is the current state of my hair.

This picture was taken last weekend. I dyed it black in January. As you can see, I'm not big on upkeep.

Went to a salon just to check on prices the other week and she quoted me a mighty nice one for stripping the color and recoloring it. Uh, no thanks. On a tight budget over here. Thing is, she said she wasn't even sure if they could get the color out. ??? I've done it myself at home before with successful results, as seen here.

So, I'll be going to a (cheap) salon to get it cut, but then I'm doing the coloring myself. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy to strip it and recolor? I'll most likely be going to a Sally's (sp?) to buy the products. Any brands that you trust?

Also, I will probably get it cut up to my chin, perhaps a bob of some sort. The only problem is that I have VERY oily hair, and the shorter it is, the oilier it gets (as there's less hair to distribute the oil through, obvs). It looks like I need to wash it within hours of its previous washing when I cut it short. That's the only drawback. Is there something I can do about that? A product that might help?

And as far as the actual cut, I don't know what to do with it, but it's EXTREMELY fine and flat, so I would like some sort of layering.

Covertly snapped this pic the other night because I really liked the girl's hair.

It's possible that my hair would do that, but it'd still end up being pretty flat, methinks, especially in the front where the length would weigh it down.

Another thing I've been considering is bangs. The last two ladies that cut my hair discouraged it (and I gave in) because of how thin my hair is and I specifically didn't want *wispy* bangs. But I really want to give actual bangs a go, though that would nix the aformentioned style I was considering.

So........advice, please. ADVICEADVICEADVICE!!! Please.

If you really want the bangs, I'd say go for them. Hair is hair; it'll grow back. And if you get them cut long, you can see whether you like them. If they're too fine, since they're cut long, you can do a sideswept sort of style that'll blend in nicely with the haircut you posted. My two cents.

Someone else take the reins on stripping color; I've only done that once and don't quite remember the procedure!

Thanks Cuddlefish. Yeah, the side swept look is the only kind of "bangs" I've had. That's always what the stylists do. But I want straight up and down bangs on my forehead, kinda subtly choppy on the ends, instead of a straight line across. We'll see. Still considering choices.....
    Last edited by Amie; 10-27-2010 at 02:06 PM.

I have really thin/superfine hair as well, Amie, and I have bangs. I wear mine to the side, but there's enough bangs that I could wear them to the front if they were cut that way. I think you could pull it off.

I have used Herbal Essences or Garnier highlighting kits to bleach out my hair every time I've stripped it so that I can dye it a bright color. Check out my "Hair Adventures" photo set.

The first time I did so I didn't use the lightest color available and ended up with the following light orange:

I took photos because it was (and is as of yet) the only time I would ever be "blonde". It's so not my color, I looked like a corpse. Anyway: Thereafter I used the lightest shade, bought two boxes to completely coat my hair, and then would dye it whatever bright red or pink or orange I was after at that time.

Thanks Mynx. I've always loved your hair color choices. So fun!

delicious dish
    Quote Originally Posted by Amie View Post

Also, I will probably get it cut up to my chin, perhaps a bob of some sort. The only problem is that I have VERY oily hair, and the shorter it is, the oilier it gets (as there's less hair to distribute the oil through, obvs). It looks like I need to wash it within hours of its previous washing when I cut it short. That's the only drawback. Is there something I can do about that? A product that might help?
    *delurks*

Hair powder. You can get "Psssst" brand at most drugstores now. I'd keep it in my bag for afternoon touch-ups if it's all that bad, but use in the AM ought to keep the oily away all day.

*relurks*

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    People. Chronic itchy scalp. Discuss.

I used to use this treatment shampoo from Boots, which you'd leave on for five minutes and then rinse out, and you'd only need to use it once every couple of weeks and it'd do the business. That has wonderfully been discontinued, and I am in hell. I've just started using Lush shampoo and conditioner just to lessen the amount of chemicals I use, but really the different types of shampoos etc I've been amassing trying to tackle this is getting redonkadonk. Halp!

Oh god. I have been the captain of itchy fucking scalp and nasty bouts of scalp dermatitis these past few years. Turns out the culprit that aggravates my scalp beyond reason is sodium lauryl sulphate and its cousins, which are used in 98% of commercially-made shampoos (including most made for, guess what, itchy, sensitive scalps!), including most 'natural' lines.

I now use Allergenics mild shampoo (you can get it online and in Holland and Barrett and places like that) with an occasional go with a scalp treatment shampoo (I'll go find my bottle and post the name in a minute) which has salicylic acid to help lift off the dead skin flakes and I'm 90% better than I used to be. In fact, I barely itch at all these days. But I dread allergenics going out of production because it really has been the key to solving this. It has the mildest detergents out there in it.

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    Helen, I knew you'd be able to point me in the right direction. Thank you so much. I will be going to H&B tomorrow.

I hope it helps.

The scalp treatment shampoo I use is Capasal. It removes scalp crud like nothing else and doesn't irritate my scalp unlike stuff like T-Gel, which is full of SLS.

ETA: It's actually called Allergenics Medicated Shampoo. Link: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...81&prodid=1498

Their face and body wash is pretty good too, btw.