Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bang

Bang

I'm really surprised there isn't a thread already dedicated to this one. For me it's one of the stand outs on the album. I think it's fucking phenomenal. Her voice, the piano, drums and when she sings "oh yes you did" it just makes me shiver.

Lyrics:

Bang went the gun on their tongue
    word crucifixion toward immigrants shunned
    "Immigrants that's who we all are
    'cause we're all made of stars"
    you said to them
    oh yes you did

Bang went the universe
    Hydrogen lusting for Helium's burst
    a mighty Sun's Dance of Death
    Exploding Super Nova
    one story's end
    seeds another to begin

then the Heavens opened
    and then I heard voices
    joined in Hosannas
    breathlessly I saw your star

so bright it blinded me
    I had to shield my eyes
    so bright it blinded me
    I had to shield my eyes
    so bright it blinded me
    I had to shield my eyes

and then you took my hand
    oh yes you did

Bang the world now traumatized
    by a cluster of hostile humans who side
    with their warlords of hate
    so we must out-create
    with the Backbone of Night
    to Rehumanize

then the Heavens opened
    and then I heard voices
    joined in Hosannas
    and their tower of confusion
    could not drown the light
    from your star

so bright it blinded me
    I had to shield my eyes
    so bright it blinded me
    I had to shield my eyes
    so bright it blinded me
    I had to shield my eyes

and then you lit the path
    oh yes you did

"Can't they see"
    he said to me
    "that we all
    are Molecular Machines"
    goals and dreams
    all I wanna be
    is the very best
    Machine I can be

Oxygen and Carbon
    part of
    our Molecular Machine
    goals and dreams
    all I wanna be
    is the very best
    Machine I can be

Hydrogen
    Calcium
    Phosphorus
    Potassium
    Sulfur
    Sodium
    all I wanna be
    is the very best
    Machine I can be

Chlorine
    Magnesium
    Boron
    Chromium
    Cobalt
    Copper
    Fluorine
    all I wanna be
    is the very best
    Machine I can be

Iodine
    Iron
    Manganese
    Molybdenum
    Selenium
    Silicon
    Tin
    Vanadium
    and Zinc
    all I wanna be
    a Molecular Machine
    I also made a proper lyric page for the song:

This song is a SHOWSTOPPER and I have this fantasy of it being the very first thing we heard from the album and it makes me giddy imagining the reaction it would have gotten.

I can't say enough about this.

One of the best songs from the album, I even love the guitar here.

Here's the speech on which Bang was partly based:

Edit:

A quote from Tori

There was a real rustle with this one. I was going down the wrong road and it was actually Tash who said to me, "Mom, you're driving yourself mad with this." I'd been researching for months -- anything I could find out about clusters and nebulas and stars and the more I learnt the less I knew. And I was getting myself into a wicket -- you know what I did? I did that thing you shouldn't do, which is to get on the comments pages of physics dot org and when you start reading how nasty they are to each other, you know, those brainiacs? How they shame each other! I don't even know what they were talking about but I understood the language of the verbal attack. I had no idea what the argument was but I started to think to myself -- they are going to come after me! And I said this to Tash and she said, "Stop trying to write like you're one of those people. Mom, step into the emotion!" and I said alright. I started looking into old clips -- somehow they got me to Frank Zappa talking about stuff and then somehow they got me onto Carl Sagan. And to watch him explain how "we're all made of star stuff" -- it was that [clicks fingers] moment for me. It all came together. [The 405 - September 5, 2017]
    That explains why the lyrics are missing from the booklet.
    Last edited by Carey; 09-13-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

So so so good.

I can forgive the Nitrogen omission simply because it's that good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Lyrics:

I also made a proper lyric page for the song:

This song is a SHOWSTOPPER and I have this fantasy of it being the very first thing we heard from the album and it makes me giddy imagining the reaction it would have gotten.

I can't say enough about this.
    This looks great, you did a fantastic job.

@Nancy makes the excellent point that this deserves Brian May on it. Can you imagine the SCIENCE EXPLOSION if that was the case?

Yeah, that was my entitled fan moment. For those who don't know, Brian May is the lead guitarist in Queen. He's not just technically good - he's a science nerd who has a PhD in astrophysics yet still manages to achieve maximum emotion in his playing. Mark did pretty well on this track but I couldn't help but notice the lack of Queen-style emo. I so wish Brian could join her onstage for one brief shining moment to take this song super-nova.

Yeah, I agree with you Nancy. It's already a great song, but it could - and should - have been even more explosive. I keep waiting for her to really crank the volume up to 11.

Still, it's not anything for Mark to be ashamed of guitar-wise, and it's probably my favorite track on the album so far. It just has such fantastic and unexpected melodic arcs.

The song was an early standout on the album for me. Still in my top 3
    I was just thinking this would sound great with a live band ... or she could go the total opposite and strip it down to solo piano. I want to hear her do it either way.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Here are some of the clips Tori likely watched during her research of this song. The whole episode of Cosmos called The Backbone of Night is about Sagan's personal history told as a microcosom of everyones creation, experience and life path. And there is plenty Zappa to watch as well. I realise I like to pop up like a research bot on reddit. Also, worth noting that as well as The Backbone of Night, Rehumanise and Molecular Machine are also direct Sagan references:

“I am a collection of water, calcium and organic molecules called Carl Sagan. You are a collection of almost identical molecules with a different collective label. But is that all? Is there nothing in here but molecules? Some people find this idea somehow demeaning to human dignity. For myself, I find it elevating that our universe permits the evolution of molecular machines as intricate and subtle as we.

But the essence of life is not so much the atoms and simple molecules that make us up as the way in which they are put together. Every now and then we read that the chemicals which constitute the human body cost ninety-seven cents or ten dollars or some such figure; it is a little depressing to find our bodies valued so little. However, these estimates are for human beings reduced to our simplest possible components. We are made mostly of water, which costs almost nothing; the carbon is costed in the form of coal; the calcium in our bones as chalk; the nitrogen in our proteins as air (cheap also); the iron in our blood as rusty nails. If we did not know better, we might be tempted to take all the atoms that make us up, mix them together in a big container and stir. We can do this as much as we want. But in the end all we have is a tedious mixture of atoms. How could we have expected anything else?”

The "Then the heavens opened" verses/chorus reminds me so much of dreams I have where I'm on a planet with different moons or suns. They are my favorite dreams.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar

Bang went the universe
    Hydrogen lusting for Helium's burst
    a mighty Sun's Dance of Death
    Exploding Super Nova
    one story's end
    seeds another to begin

then the Heavens opened
    and then I heard voices
    joined in Hosannas
    breathlessly I saw your star

Those are some of my favorite lyrics of her career. Every time I listen to this song, I cannot believe how GOOD it is on every level, and so unusual. It really doesn't remind me of anything she's done before.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you Nancy. It's already a great song, but it could - and should - have been even more explosive. I keep waiting for her to really crank the volume up to 11.
    I agree too. It's ALMOST there - I think even one more statement of the chorus with more intensity would have improved it.