Thread: SOTW PLUTO

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar

SOTW PLUTO

I wanted to do a song of the week with Pluto. Because I fn love the song but I don't know what the eff it's about.
    Anyone?
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

LOVE PLUTO
    -time moves both ways-

Bjork has said about Pluto
    "It is about being plastered, that need to destroy everything so you can start over again. No extra baggage. It’s about death and birth."

(Source: https://genius.com/Bjork-pluto-lyrics)

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    I always wish this song was WAY LONGER. Especially the blippy dancey part at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by AshaBlack View Post
    Bjork has said about Pluto
    "It is about being plastered, that need to destroy everything so you can start over again. No extra baggage. It’s about death and birth."

(Source: https://genius.com/Bjork-pluto-lyrics)
    When she sings about exploding a body off of herself.. I kinda thought that was what she meant and I kind of thought it was just a pissed off metaphor ... when you're part of a solar system and then told you're not.. that Pluto is not a planet. I dunno.
    I just love when she keeps going and going on the vocal. She must have looked blood red in the face from lack of oxygen.

one my faves from her - loved watching it live at Werchter 1998

Astrologically, Pluto is the planet of inner power. It symbolizes the shadow side of the self, namely, all the parts of ourselves that, for some reason, we can't accept and recognize as ours. Those parts are not properly bad, in fact they gush from a strong source of energy that would give us the power to turn our life into what we really want it to be, but they're often socially stigmatized because they're not rational, they're ancestral and instinctive, and somehow related to what some would call magic. You can imagine those parts as a powerful beast that's kept hidden and chained, and needs to be released and tamed, so that it can be an ally and not an enemy.
    Pluto is often related to power games, especially in the form of seduction and mental manipulation. People with a strong Pluto in their chart usually experience in their childhood some kind of psycological abuse (sometimes subtle, sometimes going into physical violence) so, in order to be accepted, loved, or simply to survive, they build up a fake identity that, sooner or later, they're gonna have to destroy. It's really death a rebirth.

Pluto is the ruler of Scorpio, and Bjork is a Scorpio with Scorpio rising and a Scorpio moon, so she clearly relates to all of that.

Apparently I’m as much Scorpio as one can be. To me, whether it means something or not – fuck that, I just love the symbolism of it. I’ve got Pluto in a very important place, and that’s what I’m about. I have to re-create the universe every morning when I wake up. And kill it in the evening, which is a bit outrageous, but there you go. Well, maybe not every morning, but maybe twice a year I have to destroy everything.
    Bjork interviewed by Jon Savage
    Last edited by Carey; 09-25-2017 at 06:48 PM.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

and wasn't there a video with a man for this song ?

Quote Originally Posted by seso View Post
    and wasn't there a video with a man for this song ?
    Yup, she produced one for the 2003 Greatest Hits tour. She also made one for Unravel.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Astrologically, Pluto is the planet of inner power. It symbolizes the shadow side of the self, namely, all the parts of ourselves that, for some reason, we can't accept and recognize as ours. Those parts are not properly bad, in fact they gush from a strong source of energy that would give us the power to turn our life into what we really want it to be, but they're often socially stigmatized because they're not rational, they're ancestral and instinctive, and somehow related to what some would call magic. You can imagine those parts as a powerful beast that's kept hidden and chained, and needs to be released and tamed, so that it can be an ally and not an enemy.
    Pluto is often related to power games, especially in the form of seduction and mental manipulation. People with a strong Pluto in their chart usually experience in their childhood some kind of psycological abuse (sometimes subtle, sometimes going into physical violence) so, in order to be accepted, loved, or simply to survive, they build up a fake identity that, sooner or later, they're gonna have to destroy. It's really death a rebirth.

Pluto is the ruler of Scorpio, and Bjork is a Scorpio with Scorpio rising and a Scorpio moon, so she clearly relates to all of that.

Bjork interviewed by Jon Savage
    Wow. I really like the information you brought about Pluto. I can see almost all of that reflected in the energy of the song.

I'm going to youtube to see if I can find her doing it live. I am sure she has the stamina to do it and not be too phased or winded. But certainly not a song she could do too many nights in a row during a tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Wow. I really like the information you brought about Pluto. I can see almost all of that reflected in the energy of the song.

I'm going to youtube to see if I can find her doing it live. I am sure she has the stamina to do it and not be too phased or winded. But certainly not a song she could do too many nights in a row during a tour.
    It's her fourth most performed song
    -time moves both ways-

WOW!
    I've never seen Bjork live in concert. I've barely seen her live on TV.
    But the CDs before they got put onto pods have never not been in my car or with me when I run or .. whatever.

I love "Pluto" but I'd argue it's one of her most-overplayed live songs. She closed every single concert with it during the Homogenic, Greatest Hits, and Volta tours. It kind of became her default, predictable 'grande finale' of every show.

I must admit, though, I liked it when she came up with a Tesla coil version for some of the Biophilia shows and an acoustic strings-only version for Vulnicura. They kind of showed the versatility of the track.