Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NI Tour - Observations

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar

NI Tour - Observations

I thought it would be cool to have one place to discuss the overall tour itself. (Sorry, if a page like this already exists... I can't seem to find one.) Here are some of the things I have been noticing:

It's interesting to me that i i e e e, Blood Roses, Curtain, and Flavor are staples or semi-staples this tour. I guess it surprises me because I assumed Pancake, Little Amsterdam, Virginia, and perhaps Taxi Ride would be in much higher rotation. I don't think she's played Little Amsterdam or Virginia at all, and Taxi Ride only once. Blood Roses has been played more than twice as much as Pancake. (Thanks Sped.)

I wonder if Precious Things is going to be permanent now. I hope not. I'd so much rather her mix up what goes in that slot before ASF closes out the show, like she had been in the beginning. To suit her mood, to suit the energy of the room. Also, I'll never understand why she never opens her encores with Space Dog! Or why she's not singing "Way to go Mr. Microphone, show us all what you don't know..." at this point in American history at like every show on this tour. It *should* happen, but I knew it wouldn't. No justice for Space Dog.

I thought Cruel would appear in a few sets, it's always seemed like a sister to iieee.

and Icicle hasn't been performed yet!
    They say you were something in those formative years...

I have not been to a show yet - but I love IIEEE as an opener. She sounds so confident and amazing - what a great warmup song to start each show. And I love the new mid section thing and the darker beats going on. Prefer this to Parasol in 2014.
    Robbing the muse...

I am in general surprised by the absence of Scarlet songs (maybe even sad cause it's my favourite album). I have seen two shows so far and only got 2 Scarlet songs one of which is a staple ;-) I thought like half of the songs would fit the native theme so well but it only proves that she still manages to surprise us. In Munich the set was so heavily influenced by the theme of death, departure and sadness that I only waited for taxi ride to be the next song but it didn't come out. Overall I really prefer this tour over the last one in the sense that the sets seem more consistent with a specific theme to them.2014 was very enjoyable and she managed to have our jaws dropped by all the surprises she came up with. But by the end of the tour it all seemed a bit forced and too random. So I am really happy with this tour.

Maybe she'll go hard core Scarlet when she comes over to the US?

My NI Tour observation, based at the only show I've been to and some videos, is that I've never seen her (as I'm following only since 2007) so connected to the songs she's playing. It's almost not a performance anymore, it is her telling a story through the songs. I know it might not be a ground breaking observation, andI've seen her doing this almost narrative setlists in 2014, but this year she is truly mesmerizing with each song she's playing. What looks like a "filler" on paper might occur to be an absolutely electrifying expierience during live show. I was doubtful at the beginning, but at this moment this is a real Tori Amos tour which just cannot be missed if you love her.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    I'm excited to see her in Atlanta in November, I just wish the set consisted of mostly Native Invader songs, like back in the day when artists used to actually tour their new albums. Also, I wish she was with a full band, with a solo section of her own songs in the middle and a solo song or two in the encore.

BUT she's had some really amazing performances this tour, so yeah, that's a plus.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

I, too, wish she had a band and was playing more Native Invader songs. For me a 50/50 split would be perfect.

I wish she'd do more NI songs, but I sort of understand why she doesn't. Band I could do without, but that's my personal preference. I think Tori's at her most powerful on her own.

I am appalled by the lack of Fat Slut this Tour.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    My biggest fear is that she changes things up too much in the US, especially with the opener. The setlists have been killer (with the exception of Carry, sorry). I i e e e is probably my favorite Tori song. I'm only doing 1 show this tour (Mesa) and I need it.
    Last edited by BettahDevil; 10-03-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Maybe she'll go hard core Scarlet when she comes over to the US?
    I really hope so as I am seeing her in the US for the first time this year. So excited :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mich. View Post
    What looks like a "filler" on paper might occur to be an absolutely electrifying expierience during live show. I was doubtful at the beginning, but at this moment this is a real Tori Amos tour which just cannot be missed if you love her.
    Ditto. When she started Curtain Call in Berlin, I was like "meh..." but it was in the end one of my favourites of the whole night.

she's doing some really interesting things with the keyboards this tour. sure not everything works and i do still prefer the piano overall (can't beat that!) but she had some great keyboard moments so far - more than on the past tours imo

As the European tour wraps up, I wanted to again compare NI tour to UG. Just two of the top played songs overlap:

NI
    I i e e e
    Reindeer King
    A Sorta Fairytale
    Bliss
    Cloud On My Tongue
    Blood Roses
    Precious Things
    Flavor
    Crucify

UG
    Cornflake Girl
    Parasol
    I i e e e
    Winter
    Wedding Day
    Silent All These Years
    Take To The Sky
    Crucify
    Oysters

I'm so curious to see how this evolves with the North American tour. Also, is she done with Blood Roses now? Feels like it's been several shows since it's made an appearance.