Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Setlist and Reviews for Los Angeles, CA 02/12/2017 [Night 2]

I haven't found any videos. Would love to see that Suede improv.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    A clip of Ribbons. I like it and I can't help it. Especially after Mother and Spark, I would be a mess.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BcQWK8Yl...agged=toriamos

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    A clip of Ribbons. I like it and I can't help it. Especially after Mother and Spark, I would be a mess.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BcQWK8Yl...agged=toriamos
    Me too. If she had played Winter I would have been completely wiped out.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Me too. If she had played Winter I would have been completely wiped out.
    Oh man, I'm not sure even she could handle that. And with River and Reindeer King? Last night was so heavy.

Hey all!

My thoughts on the 2nd show (if it interests ye')

This was my second Tori concert experienced ever (the first being in Orlando 2014). With that said...I was not expecting nearly a full hour of songs from the opening act. Maybe I'm exaggerating? It was a long ass time. lol. They were a trio from The U.K. who reminded me very much of Lady Antebellum meets T Swift in their approach. I guess it was nice ; < ..The lead singer was very talkative after every song and did this thing where he would drop his head and bow forward with the guitar during the conclusion of a song.

Cruel.
    As an opener, I understand how it instantly changes the energy and sets the stage. However, the audio was a little off and quiet for the duration of the performance. Also, it seems to me Tori's vocal delivery wasn't quite ready for it...as her voice was in this middle/high pitchy place to start off and then tends to ease into the lower register as the night progresses. The light show to accompany the performance was cool though! Kudos to the light engineer(s).

Space Dog.
    Is it me or does Tori like to use this song as a number 2 frequently before the "Tori talks" segment? It was also employed during my 2014 show in the same setlist spot.
    The Andromeda intro is always a pleasure to listen to, but I remember not being fond of the new keyboard/synth arrangement she was using this time around. Also a large number of people from the right balcony had a very loud, uncharacteristic laughing outburst during her "pissing in the river" line (Help me understand how this is funny guys)? Overall, the performance was o.k.

Suede.
    So while watching her play, it occurred to me that this performance will likely go down as one of the best (at least since 2001). As mentioned earlier, there was a long improvisation about vampires, blood, and such. Also the visual was this shimmering ruby, crystalline light shape projected behind her. It really enforced the idea and complimented the performance. I'm totally stoked to see better quality videos of this performance in particular. A standout of the night.

Mother.
    This song transition really had me scratching my head. My impressions were that the performance was pretty middle of the road, but she always gives an earnest go with Mother. I maybe think the song lost it's teary-eyed impact because of the placement within the setlist. People just weren't emotionally ready for it after that Suede.

Spark.
    For me this song really lacks without a band treatment. She seems to want to approach it how the song was conceived and performed in 1998, which kind of misses the mark currently with her voice. It's certainly a good effort though; just not a standout for arguably one of the greatest songs in catalogue.

Ribbons Undone.
    There were many butterfly esque lights flickering around stage during the song which really complimented the song nicely. It seems Tori was determined to revamp this song in a powerful and meaningful way and prove to people it wasn't a dud. To me, the lyrics are still oozing in cheese; but you can't deny that she did a damn good job of selling it. Another stand out of the night following Suede.

SpringHaze.
    My day after thoughts were that the song went on for longer than it had to. I am just now taking notice of this repeating lyric phenomena. It was employed to full affect here and also made me speculate that it may be a tool she uses to get back to the song when forgetting the words. She seemed to get lost in the song a bit and improv'd a little through the middle. The performance was good, but not memorable for me.

Fake Muse
    Tiny Dancer
    Tori stated that this was one of her favorite songs and she had to play it because of the location. It was a solid cover. Not particularly emotive, but y'know, it's an Elton John hit.

River
    People in the audience laughed as she started "Jingle all the Way" At this point, I have a micro elitist 'those plebs' moment where I know (and most other fans know) she is beginning Joni's "River". You can tell she has so much reverence for the lady it is sung. The gentleman sitting to the left of me got up and left his girlfriend/ wife at the beginning (and consequently didn't return for the rest of the concert). However, this departure also gave me some leg and hip room to spread out. I'm going to take the opportunity to mention here how small and cramped the seating was. For a person who is 6'4", I could not even bend my knees at right angles without them hitting the seat in front of me. Just awfully uncomfortable seating for such a beautifully stylized venue. ...Anyway, I digress...

Reindeer King
    Our backdrop changed to wintry mountains from stale, re-used burning forest shot (which was refreshing indeed)! These live versions I find to be far superior to the album in how she plays and adds flourishes to the piano. Her performance drew you in and made you value her skills as a solo act especially.

Here in My Head
    Tori's vocal delivery was very reserved here. She doesn't take the notes with a kind of wild abandon that the song is really known for..Therefore it comes off very tepid. Especially in "Do you know what this is doing to me?" I think the song could really shine if she took down her pitch a few octaves...

Taxi Ride
    Probably the only real surprise/experiment of the night that Tori alluded to in the brief interlude after Space Dog. But with that said, she totally sold this 110% live. This song tends to be one of my least played and favored from Scarlet, but the new treatment is fantastic. Her playing was really excitable and teeming with energy. Almost like a switch was turned off after "Here in My Head" Another favored standout following Ribbons Undone.

Take to the Sky
    Really great power and energy. She seemed connected to the rhythm, the audience, and was very self aware. I think she was riding off the high and success that was Taxi Ride and it definitely showed. As aforementioned in the thread, there was an improv about her city travels and the "pimps in Washington" I would have been delighted if she had ended with this performance, but..we moved into the Encore.

Encore
    A Sorta Fairytale (super extended karaoke edition)
    I will also throw in my 2 cents about backing tracks doing nothing much good at all. It just seemed like a little jam session for Tori (she seemed to be having fun). At a certain point I remember watching her play silently while the vocals were going off on the backing track. Choices... is all I can muster.

Precious Things
    In the same way the Here in my Head vocal delivery was neutered, so was Precious Things. She has a slight backing track going on here, but it didn't detract from the performance. Her "Aiaeeyeyeye" was clipped as well as the throaty "Gurrrl." Look, I totally understand how taking care of the voice should be priority, especially for songs that employ such techniques, but altering the arrangement or forgoing them altogether would better suit the song at this time in her prolific and long-standing career.

Overall:
    I think this show will stand out for it's Suede, Ribbons Undone, Taxi Ride, and Take to the Sky as real triumphs. It was a pleasure to see her even as a small figure from sitting so high up.
    p.s. I was in love with her black and sparkly costume from LA1 previous and so thought the green and pink print was a.. choice for this night. It just reads very kooky, eccentric mom does super hero as opposed to distinguished, mature songstress. It seems very obvious that whomever designed it was going to for tacky, because that's the only word that keeps cropping up when I see it. But hey! I view Tori as foremost a musician, so her fashions are not a big deal : )

I look forward to seeing how she bodes for the last show of the tour today!

Cheers.

Here's Tiny Dancer. I love the little improv at the very end.

Great improv! Chilling! Thank you toriMODE!

ETA: That Little Sister ending!!!!! That is some DDI flashback (if Suede existed back then)
    Last edited by tolotti_; 12-06-2017 at 12:12 AM.
    I will be safe in my frame.

Holy shit Suede, I won't forgive it.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    Okay, normally not a fan of this one solo anymore but wow! This is GREAT.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    That piano part from 3:50 to 04:13, OMG !!!