Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Setlist and Reviews for Portland, OR 22/11/2017

my log has something to tell you NightHunter's Avatar
    I got to see two shows this time around, bringing my lifetime tori show total to near 30. My very first show was on the first US leg of the Dew Drop Inn tour way back in 1996. My bootleg collection is in the 100's of shows. The intensity, stage presence, and overall stagecraft Tori has presented in 2017 is like nothing I've seen before. She's dialed in and focused. I thought her previous live incarnations couldn't be topped

I was at this show. I didn't have the best experience with it. I thought I was going to. I made friends with a long time Tori Amos fan and this was his first Tori show ever. So we discussed all things Tori before the show started. The the two people that were sitting to my right came. They seemed pretty fucking drunk. I decided to watch Scars on 45 at this show because I didn't watch them in Atlanta, Nashville, or New Orleans (because socializing). The drunk couple got up during the opener during the middle of the set, and they were disruptive and laughing. Then they came back just in time for Tori's performance. The guy is sitting next to me (of the couple), and you know how some men will spread their legs when they sit to let their junk breathe, well this guy did this to the extreme, and when I said extreme, I mean his left leg/foot was halfway into my space. He was rubbing his leg against mine, and his foot was bouncing against mine. I felt assaulted, to be honest. I wasn't going to let his actions ruin the show for me, but it pretty much did. I'd push my leg against his to see if he would move his leg, but he wouldn't. So I'd cross my legs to see if that would help, but it seemed like more of his body was in my area. I don't know if he just wasn't aware of his body, or if he was actively hitting on me, or trying to make me uncomfortable. So the show was pretty amazing as you can see from the set list. I'd never heard Tubular bells before, so that was a treat. That version of Playboy Mommy is probably the best version I've ever heard. Lust used to be my favorite from TVAB, so to get it again was a nice treat for me. Little Amsterdam is so fierce on this tour. America was awesome. I got it also in Chicago in 2014. After the show a tour friend asked me what cover the song was after Little Amsterdam, and I told him it was America LOL. As for the covers, I've never gotten into Boys in the Trees, but I fucking loved Boys of Summer (have a long history of love for that song). Carbon was the strongest that I've ever heard it played. The piano was sooooooo boomy, loud, and strong. Girl was gorgeous. I've gotten Merman a few times in the past, but it was a beautiful version. Wildwood was a nice surprise. Her vocals sounded really good during it. Overall, a great show from Tori, but a show I wish I could redo with the right seat partners so I really could have been present.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I'm sorry you had such shitty neighbors in the audience. I went through a similar experience in NY during the ADP tour. This drunk couple behind me wouldn't shut up the entire time and kept hitting my seat. It is a fucking Tori show not Bon Jovi.

Thanks, Chris. I would have said something, but I don't think there was anything I could have done or said to make the situation better. I think he was just that far gone and drunk.

America! Love Love Love. Sounds like a lost Scarlet song played like that. So pleased she made an arrangement that worked without the backing track.

I guess we're at a point where the every evolving setlists are at the detriment to the new material. If Tori had used pre-tour rehearsals to focus solely on solo arrangements of NI tracks, then I believe of course we would have amazing solo arrangements of all those songs. But it would then be impossible for Tori to also have time to vary the sets with older material. And we'd probably just get NI tracks, plus Tori standards SATY, Winter, Leather, Cloud on my tongue etc.

So I kind of get it.

my log has something to tell you NightHunter's Avatar
    I really don't understand people who will pay expensive ticket prices, only to spend more money getting wasted to obscure the experience and potentially affect the show for others. Especially at at Tori Amos show. I become as present and awake as I possibly can. Taking in every particle.

I don't drink at Tori shows anymore (or any other substances such as edibles) because I want to remember the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDoggy View Post
    Tbh, she hasn't been half on fire as he has been in Berlin this year, now that show was intense ;-) I was very spoiled by the 2 back to back shows I have seen this year: In Berlin, she was so energetic and visibly happy to play, whereas the next day in Munich she played so many songs about loss and half of the people I saw were in tears. I am still stunned by the different emotions her shows can convey night after night.
    The European tour and the US tour are two very different beasts this time around. Setlists, mood, performance style, intensity - ever since taking the stage in St. Paul, she has been a completely different version of herself compared to Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The European tour and the US tour are two very different beasts this time around. Setlists, mood, performance style, intensity - ever since taking the stage in St. Paul, she has been a completely different version of herself compared to Europe.
    How do you think these versions of herself differ from each other exactly ? Would be interesting to have your thoughts on that.

I’m still in awe of how stupid good that St. Paul show was. Literally unlike anything I’d ever seen from her. Even hearing every full European show didn’t prepare me for that - the fire was just different somehow. The two Texas shows were also very different. Her getting sick just previously changed those shows following a lot, I think.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDoggy View Post
    How do you think these versions of herself differ from each other exactly ? Would be interesting to have your thoughts on that.
    In Europe (or at least for my show) she was very... unfiltered. There was this emotional intensity, this tension, and I don't want to sound dramatic, but I'd only heard that kind of tension on Dew Drop Inn bootlegs. It simply didn't matter what she was playing, the mood permeated every single song. Even her look, wigless and all, was in tune with that. The lack of banshee shrieks from the audience didn't hurt either.

Once the US tour started, it all changed. It became all, I don't know, professional singer and pianist Tori Amos performing. More... business-like, somehow. Perfectly styled wig? Check. The odd phoned-in song? Check. Obvious hits sung powerfully, to make up for the phoned-in ones? Check. Setlist being important for the enjoyment of the show? Check. I'm not saying the US tour wasn't good; hell, some shows had significantly better vocals compared to the average Euro show. But it was a very different approach.

The earlier shows in the US tour seemed fiery to me. It appears that when she got sick it ground everything to a bit of a halt and she never really found that full on fire again. Everything just seemed to mellow.

I think the wig happened because of a cosmetic procedure she might have had between the Euro and US tours. In YouTube videos and interviews I noticed her eye brows stopped moving once she hit the US.