Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Setlist and Reviews for Nashville, TN 12/11/2017

A Little Dust the new prosecutor's Avatar
    Wow. What a special show indeed. This was the farthest I have ever traveled exclusively to see a Tori show, and I was a little nervous about the gamble I was taking. But I should have known that Tori would never disappoint in Nashville, especially at the Mother Church (and what a fantastic venue it was!) You could tell Tori was really feeling the evening as well. Any concerns I had about her energy on a third night immediately went out the window. She was gesticulating wildly all night, and she talked to the audience more than I have seen at any show this tour (though admittedly it was still not much). After saying hello, Tori dedicated her show to Mary. The crowd's reaction was very loud, but I think she said something about "Mary is winking again" (And yes, for a moment I wondered if that meant Mary's Eyes was coming. I still can't imagine how she would get into the right frame of mind to do that without sobbing.) Some thoughts:

BEULAH LAND - This was the southern song I most wanted to hear, but I had already written it off, assuming it would come out in NOLA. What a coup! It was gorgeous and strong and everything I had imagined.

CLIMB - Paired so well with Beulah. Tori told a cute story about how a 7 year old had drawn a picture of the next song, and so she should know that this one was for her. Kid must be some artist. The improv/rarity/whatever beforehand was great. I can't wait to check that out again.

WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER HERO - My concert buddy and I are both HUGE Tina Turner fans. We recognized this song immediately and proceeded to lose our minds. Despite its origins in a cheesy 80s movie, I think this song is Tina's masterpiece. (Her "Yes, Anastasia"?). And Tori delivered it. She pounded the piano and nailed every note. It was tue to the original, but Tori also made it her own. Thank you SO much to @Noah for requesting this. It was absolute genius. This may have been my single favorite Tori moment ever. (And certainly my favorite cover. Sorry, Operator. We'll always have Chicago.) After this song, I was pretty much done. The show could have ended there, and I would have gone away happy. Which is good, because the second half of the show was a little uneven.

TIME - If I had a pulse left after Tina, Time finished me off. This is an involved song (I counted 3 pages of lyrics), and she executed flawlessly.

BELLS FOR HER - Tori did a few songs tonight that I'm not a fan of, but this was the only performance that felt like a clunker. It seemed especially like a bland autopilot song, which is really unfortunate because it's a beautiful and impactful song.

FLICKER - I've only listened to the recorded version once or twice. I remember not liking her vocals and thinking the lyrics were far too direct for a Tori song. But I think she improved it in the live performance, especially the piano parts. There are definitely still some bugs to work out though. Although this song is (unfortunately) very timely, I'm not sure I would want this added to her nightly repertoire.

MOTHER REVOLUTION - Love the new arrangement and what she does with the keyboard. I haven't heard this song live since the Beekeeper tour, when the song definitely got Beekeepered. But this version felt lively and forceful. Especially towards the end. I really thought this was going to be the night's closer. Still surprised this one hasn't come out more on this tour.

FAST HORSE - I do not like this song. I think this is quite a bad song, in fact. That said, she absolutely rocked it. One of the strongest performances of the night, despite the mediocre source material. So much better than the album version or the live version. It didn't make me a convert, but it was quite a sight to see her on fire.

ENCORE - There was clearly some kind of malfunction with the backing track at first. She tapped her head a number of times, but nothing came on. She bowed her head for a while, but still nothing. So she launched into TTTS, BECAUSE TORI AMOS IS A PROFESSIONAL, Y'ALL. It was upbeat and well done, and beats the hell out of a Tori-oke song. I haven't seen the paper setlist, but judging by the black and white lighting they used as she came out, I assume it was supposed to be PT? Then to close out the show, she played Raspberry Swirl. In a church. At a show she had dedicated to her mother. Yep.

So happy that I made this trek. Not exactly the show I was envisioning, and certainly not the setlist I would have selected. But she's the artist, and it worked. I will always remember this show. I also want to extend a special thanks to all the folks who have been periscoping this tour. Being able to listen to shows "live" and hear how amazing they are has encouraged me to extend my range and travel to few shows that I otherwise would not have attended. Like Nashville.
    Last edited by the new prosecutor; 11-13-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Typos. Always typos.

The Periscope link still works and oh my god, Fast Horse is a perfect version and it sounds like she'd took lesson from Yanta, reinventing highly produced band song to a gorgeous piano piece.
    When it comes to her energy and surprise factor this might be in my top shows of 2017

I fell asleep before this show even started. I'm listening to one of the Periscope streams right now and it's so lovely. The Fake Muse section is my favorite one of the tour so far.

Love that Flicker.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the new prosecutor View Post
    ENCORE - There was clearly some kind of malfunction with the backing track at first. She tapped her head a number of times, but nothing came on. She bowed her head for a while, but still nothing. So she launched into TTTS, BECAUSE TORI AMOS IS A PROFESSIONAL, Y'ALL. It was upbeat and well done, and beats the hell out of a Tori-oke song. I haven't seen the paper setlist, but judging by the black and white lighting they used as she came out, I assume it was supposed to be PT? Then to close out the show, she played Raspberry Swirl. In a church. At a show she had dedicated to her mother. Yep.
    ASF was indeed on the written set instead of TTTS. That's interesting that the backing track didn't work - I'd say it was a win-win for everyone lol

Best Tori show I've ever been to!

The acoustics in the Ryman were perfect for Tori and her Nord and piano sounded so fucking good last night!
    The energy was high and Tori was very engaging and interactive with the audience.
    The song selection was out of this world! I really loved Climb, We Don't Need Another Hero, Flicker (who knew I'd come around to liking it!?), Sister Janet, Fast Horse, and even the weird synthy version of Mother Revolution!

I never expected Tori to still be able to top the shows I've seen in the past, but she did last night. And she didn't even do Raining Blood, which didn't matter, because last night was spiritual for real.

Resting up and heading to NOLA in the morning for show #3 of 6.

I'm glad you had a really great show, @toriMODE!

I like the new Mother Revolution a lot. REALLY LIKE.
    I will be safe in my frame.

Anyone has any recordings? (Especially Fast Horse) Periscope doesn't work for me anymore, and still only a few videos on YT.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Flicker gave me goose flesh! Damn!
    I was feeling it.
    Most importantly she and the audience were feeling it. That's a moment.

Of all the sets this is the one I am most jealous of/wish I could have seen it in person. So far.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Full audio is on yt

Flicker is her fucking best performance of this tour, I am mind blown.
    Last edited by Rabih; 11-14-2017 at 11:40 AM.

This is a beautiful show, but people REALLY need to shut up.

Pink Hair Don't Care
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Yep. That crowd was ROWDY.

I was at the show, I've listened to bootlegs, and I'm STILL not entirely sure what she says when she does her hello/intro, beyond talking about Mother Mary and winking. Anyone care to transcribe for an old, deaf-from-too-many-concerts lady?

The show was fantastic - not an emotional connection-type show for me but an ENERGY show. Worth the trip. Wish I could go to more!

-insert relevant Tori quote here-

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Holy shit, you weren't kidding. I'm grinding my teeth during Sister Janet.

I was there and I will add on to the pile of wishing the crowd would have shut the fuck up. I was happy to hear some people sshh-ing a lady who yelled out towards the end of climb during a quiet part.

It's interesteing to see the positive feedback in the thread. I didn't seem to connect with anything that night; I'd had a personally/emotionally rough week preceding the show and wasn't sure how I'd respond. I figured I'd be a blubbering mess, but it just kind of happened in front of me. I got a chuckle several times wondering what the responses were on here from several of the songs though.

I found it interesting the merch line was fucking huge before the show and built up quickly again after the show. I've seen her several times at the Ryman, and I can say with certainty the line for the UG tour was not this long for so long.

Nobody near me gets away with talking through songs. I turn round and glare at them and if that doesn´t work I ssssh them and if that still doesn´t work I tell them to shut the fuck up because I paid good money to listen to Tori and not them.

There were two girls next to me at The Light Princess and one of them barely stopped talking all through the first half. After I´d had words with her trust me she didn´t say a word during the second half.