Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Setlist and Reviews for New York, NY 08/11/2017 [Night 2]

Something about "you can't cover Cohen" even though 98% of the best Cohen versions are covers.

Just watched the show. Pancake wasn’t bad but the bridge was a bit rubbish/tame. The ending was good though.

Darkest hour was nice.

Reindeer King - I would love to know if it was a choice to skip most of the high notes or not.

Not a show I'd love to have been at overall.

I really enjoyed the show. I was trying to figure out how many times I have seen her--I saw her once per tour from Plugged through Scarlet, and then twice for The Beekeeper (I got a free ticket for one show). I skipped every tour after that until UG. So this would make 8 for me.

This was not as magical for me as the Unrepentant Geraldines show I saw. Part of that may have been because there was something really special about reconnecting with her music again back in 2014. The pacing here felt a little rushed at times, and I found myself wishing she'd stick to the piano more. Sometimes the switches back and forth between the piano and the keyboard seemed unnecessary.

That said, what a treat to get "Girl," "Doughnut Song," and "Sister Janet." I also don't care what anyone else says--I really dug the Elton John cover. I am not a huge fan of his, but I like that song and would much prefer hearing that to, say, "Daniel" or "Tiny Dancer." And FBR was beautiful.

Regarding the pacing, my only distraction last night was that she didn't hold the end of songs AT ALL. The second the song finished she'd throw papers on the floor and jump into the next one. Curfew isn't until 11, breathe!

That ending to Pancake is total Demon Tori and I would wager it totally came about because of the conversation she with Noah earlier in the day. It seems she even tried to get mildly guttural like "Dew Drop Inn Lite" in a way haha. But I dig it because it did seem ultimately genuine unlike many of the Pip rants or the "Push that Evil from you" nonsense of 09.

these days just seem to crush me
    who would've thought after the beekeeper tour snail-paced songs, we'd be wishing t would slow it down a little

though the last verse of girl borderlined on TBK tediousness yikes.

Still so tired, but glad to read your comments
    Thoughts still spinning, so I appreciate reading those reviews to help it all stay fresh in mind
    Bc it was all so dreamlike for me this tour since I'm not feeling 100%
    Glad so many enjoyed it
    The whole experience was amazing
    Meeting new & old friends in the tori community - seeing briefly -
    I feel she is still bringing it the way only she can
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm

I can't imagine having to perform night after night. Perhaps Tori is a moody person... I definitely am. While I liked watching some of last nights performances on YouTube - she still seemed a bit off. Maybe something else on her mind or whatever through parts of it. Her moods change show to show...

But it's always different when you are there at the show
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    who would've thought after the beekeeper tour snail-paced songs, we'd be wishing t would slow it down a little

though the last verse of girl borderlined on TBK tediousness yikes.
    Yeah, i think there’s a difference between rushing through songs byn speeding up the tempo of the song and leaving no space inbetween songs. The first feeling I had a bit with the NOH tour, but not now. I think within a song she drags things out too much lots of the time. What I understood of the interview with Noah, she seems to think that you can’t leave any space between the songs because then she would lose the audience. I wouldn’t mind if she’d talk a bit more and let the ending of a song ‘roll out’ a bit more. No problem. But play the songs themseves in a nice pace.

"Pandora's Aquarium" was on the setlist, but was not played. It was supposed to follow "Sister Janet." Tori played “Leather” instead.
    Last edited by SweetSaliva; 11-10-2017 at 10:03 AM.

In the UG Tour, I don't remember which date, she played Leather instead of Forest of Glass. Trolli Amos strikes again.
    I will be safe in my frame.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetSaliva View Post
    "Pandora's Aquarium" was on the setlist, but was not played. It was supposed to follow "Sister Janet." Tori played “Leather” instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Sometimes the best thing after a Tori show is to put something loud on your headphones and run far away.
    So true - same over here. After the RAH, London show I got a cab back as I was not in the mood to deal with any after-show shit from crazy people

A Little Dust the new prosecutor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetSaliva View Post
    It's a bummer that Pandora got dropped, but I'm glad to see it's on Tori's radar at least. That song has eluded me for 15 years. Hoping this may finally be the tour I get to hear it.