Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What happened to the official live recordings?

I think it's kind of... odd to frame it in terms of how much money they'd make off of it. I get that nobody wants to do a lot of work for nothing; that's Mark and Tori's prerogative, and fair enough, but at the same time it's a comparatively low-effort and low-cost project that - if limited to digital release - would still be a net positive for them and a reward for dedicated fans who stayed around through the AAtS years. We know she's not going to buy a fifth house off of the proceeds.

I'd personally be happy with just a small batch of curated songs (putting out another Venus Live once a year would be nice) instead of full shows. I just hate to think about vaults full of the Toriphile equivalent of precious diamonds being locked away forever. They should auction off the tapes somewhere. Or do a Kickstarter to make sure the demand is there (and pull in all the money before they get pirated) before putting the actual work in.

Letting them go to waste feels like such a crime!

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I love the idea of curated live albums or EPs. In fact I personally have almost zero interest in whole live concert albums from Tori or any artist. For me a concert is a one time experience and that's what makes it special. But take isolated, incredibly well performed, recorded and mixed performances of great songs from different shows (a la Venus, but with a much more interesting tracklist please!) and I'm totally in!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think it's kind of... odd to frame it in terms of how much money they'd make off of it. I get that nobody wants to do a lot of work for nothing; that's Mark and Tori's prerogative, and fair enough, but at the same time it's a comparatively low-effort and low-cost project that - if limited to digital release - would still be a net positive for them and a reward for dedicated fans who stayed around through the AAtS years. We know she's not going to buy a fifth house off of the proceeds.

I'd personally be happy with just a small batch of curated songs (putting out another Venus Live once a year would be nice) instead of full shows. I just hate to think about vaults full of the Toriphile equivalent of precious diamonds being locked away forever. They should auction off the tapes somewhere. Or do a Kickstarter to make sure the demand is there (and pull in all the money before they get pirated) before putting the actual work in.

Letting them go to waste feels like such a crime!
    Doing a Kickstarter would actually be a smart move, especially if it were clear which shows they were making available. But I do see why Mark is saying that the effort isn't worth it – especially if only half the people listening to it actually paid for it.

To track down shows, listen back, chose from a plethora of recordings in itself takes a whole lot of time. If they really were to dedicate all the time needed to create a catalogue of recordings, they'd be mixing at least 20 different double albums. Surely the solo shows don't require quite as much work as the band shows, but there is going to be a lot of fiddling around either way because Tori simply loves perfect sound (whatever that means for her). L&B was an ambitious and athletic effort, but eventually shows were being remixed for release on other digital retailers because the initial mixes Mark had done weren't sufficient and representative of what presumably Tori and the sound crew wanted.

I don't think Tori would be willing to spend any time on a live recording catalogue unless she really had the time to do it properly. To mix for weeks and weeks on end for the sake of making a few hundred of fans happy wouldn't be very attractive for me personally. On that note, I would actually be interested in how much time it took to mix the concert film stereo audio of Welcome to Sunny Florida.

Also: what if some of the shows we'd be getting actually sounded like shit? We are all used to the recordings we've known for years and the in-house acoustics recorded/distorted. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever it is that we've come to love about the fantastic and mediocre sounding bootlegs was lost in the official released ones. For the mixing process, I believe, it would be kind of essential for Tori and M&M to listen back to the bootleg recording of the show they're mixing as well because that's what people know and have a relationship with. That is why they wanted that show released in the first place. Since this is a for-fans-only project, it should not be underestimated that they are mixing for ears and listening habits of a certain group of people. In fact, I don't see why Tori would want to put out anything in the first place other than for giving fans a little treat.

Sorry for going on and on, I kind of got carried away because all of this got me thinking...

Instead of going through old shows, Tori could do a poll online and we could choose shows we would most like. I'm really disappointed because it sounds like it'll never happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherman View Post
    Instead of going through old shows, Tori could do a poll online and we could choose shows we would most like. I'm really disappointed because it sounds like it'll never happen again.
    I love that idea. We all love Tori but all know she can be a control freak and rely too much on her inner circle (esp Mark) for guidance. I feel like stepping out of Martian or at least meeting with more new collaborators would open her up in a lot of ways, but we've been saying that for years about her albums, so. Maybe I'll just hope to be pleasantly surprised.