Thread: What happened to the official live recordings?

What happened to the official live recordings?

I'm sure this has already been covered here somewhere--apologies for duplicating.

Aside from "From Russia With Love" in 2010, I can't think of any official live recordings we've gotten since Legs and Boots in 2007. No MG AATS or NOH or orchestra shows or Unrepentant Geraldines, and no word of a official boots for NI shows. As we know, she does tend to dangle the carrot of a live dvd (in 1998 and again in 2007) but either abandon the project or go for visualettes instead.

It seems like she used to release more, even if only a few soundboard tracks to fill out singles. I'm sure she still records all the shows. As great as a lot of the bootlegs sound, I wish there were official good quality recordings available, and I wonder if she'll release more in the future. Has she talked about this at all? I know she's talked about how exhausting Legs and Boots were for Mark, but it seems like doing someone on a smaller scale after a tour is over should be easier, plus her other engineers could help more if the recordings were mixed at Martian.

There have, of course, been some radio broadcasts and professional video via Le Poisson Rouge and Live From the Artists Den, but those didn't really come straight from Tori camp. Do you think there's a conscious reason she isn't putting out as much official live stuff?

I don't think there's a conscious reason. I imagine she's felt very busy working on The Light Princess and the other records and reissues they've released since 2007. I would like more official releases though I am grateful we've had so many tapers sharing even (pretty good, honestly) phone recordings in the past few years.

ETA: Though I don't think it's the case for Tori, I do know a handful of artists that don't release live material much anymore because they don't see the market there anymore with YouTube and other ways of sharing live video. I think it's a shame to lump live recording sales with YouTube uploads, but I don't have any firsthand experience with how sharable live videos affect that market.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Fascinating subject

I’ve always wondered this-and I’m not sure if it’s ever been 100% confirmed but I’m not sure that everything has been recorded post 1998, but I’d love to be wrong

A fan I once spoke to referred to them as her retirement fund, which I liked

But with streaming now right, surely you could just upload it onto iTunes and then let the (little) revenue roll in? Saves it sat in a drawer doing fuck all......

There was a discussion before the NI tour started and apparently Tori is aware the fans would love to see some live stuff being released, but who knows eh......

It's probably a lot of work with very little chance of making a profit.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    It's probably a lot of work with very little chance of making a profit.
    Kind of like Gold Dust? Honestly, all the shows are recorded. She would just need someone (husband?) to come in and properly mix/master them. She wouldn't even need to be involved other than perhaps doing a quality check. And if they opted for digital releases, there wouldn't be any kind of manufacturing cost. I'm not sure she'd be rolling in the dough necessarily, but if a band like Pearl Jam can manage to get the majority of their concerts up for download, it must be feasible for other artists.

This is what I don’t understand, there must be some sets ready after the live b sides all through LE/UTP/BFP/FTCH and TVAB eras, they could just upload them onto a streaming service,

As a fan since ‘02 I’d love to hear some of the earlier sets

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    I don't know. But what about all the video footage they were taking during the .. was AATS or ADP tour?
    Also, off topic but maybe people who know that will know this.. where is the KATE BUSH live concert DVD?
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

She seems to have a very bad karma with official recordings and soundboard broadcasts. The majority of them either suck big time or are not among the best performances of the tour. If we take out the b-sides from pink, earthquakes and pele, everything else is not really stellar. Venus is very very good, but that Precious Things is certainly not the strongest performance of the tour, for example. The legs&boots are taken from the second leg of the tour, that was pretty bad compared to the european shows. The Original Bootlegs don't include Frankfurt, which is the best of the soundboard shows we have, but they include the Denver show, which she cut short due to vocal issues. Apart from Chicago, they've chosen very mediocre shows. I love WTSF, but that was certainly not the best show of Scarlet's Tour, the Soundstage live was way better, and of course it was never officially released. Artists Den is a nightmare and so are Baloise sessions. From Russia with Love is one of the worst shows of an otherwise very good tour, along with the Metropole Orchestra concert and Bonnaroo (which of course were all broadcasted!).
    Two big exceptions are 2012's Infinity Hall and Poisson Rouge, but the quality of the recording is not really stellar, they sound compressed and flat. Ouch.

End of bitchfest*
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Tori's team has definitely dropped the ball with releasing what Tori does best - Live shows.