Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Pet Peeves

^ ha. That just happened to me now. A girl organised dinner for about 10 of us and now she's sick, someone else is too tired and someone else can't make it for some other reason. The whole thing has been cancelled and I was looking forward to it.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    P'a'n'n'i'n'i's! P'a'n'n'i'n'i's! P'a'n'n'i'n'i's!

flayed on the marble stairs
    Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    P'a'n'n'i'n'i's! P'a'n'n'i'n'i's! P'a'n'n'i'n'i's!

Ugh! That makes me cringe. There's a seamstress in town, and she has a sign that says "hem pant's - 5$". I can't even look at it anymore.

What's worse is when it isn't consistent! There's a doughnut place not too far away. I don't remember the name, but the sign reads: DONUTS KOLACHES CROISSANT'S.

What's so special about the croissant?

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    They are sophisticated. They are their own. They certainly don't want to associate with donuts.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Quote Originally Posted by Pupate View Post
    Ugh! That makes me cringe. There's a seamstress in town, and she has a sign that says "hem pant's - 5$". I can't even look at it anymore.
    My very favorite sign, now long gone and I never got a photo, le wah, read "SEAMSTRESS AVAILABLE FOR ALTERCATIONS".

She must have had her shop in this clinic:

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupate View Post
    I hate when I'm in a snooping mood on Facebook, and I come across a profile that has the "photos" button enabled. I get all excited, thinking I can creep around their photos and whatnot, and then when I click it, I get "There are no photos to display. Photos of whateveryournameis may not have been tagged, or may not be visible due to privacy". How rude. I don't appreciate teases.
    yes. YES.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by clarion View Post
    What's worse is when it isn't consistent! There's a doughnut place not too far away. I don't remember the name, but the sign reads: DONUTS KOLACHES CROISSANT'S.

What's so special about the croissant?
    haha! Yeah, the demise of the apostrophe annoys me so much. In fact, I made the decision not to dine at the restaurant "My Mates Place" because of the missing apostrophe. I've been known to correct spelling/punctuation mistakes on cafe menus too.

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    I suppose people refuse to read E. M. Forster's classic novel Howards End (pas d'apostrophe) too.

I did. There is no Howard in that book. Nor does he have an end. (You are making a joke, right? Apparently I'm awake but my brain isn't.)

Speaking of missing/misplaced apostrophes and other errors on signs, I saw this article/interview on NPR last week. Here's part of it below.

A Man, A Plan And A Sharpie: "The Great Typo Hunt"

It is not unusual to find a misspelled word on a sign in a store window, or to notice an apostrophe is missing on a billboard - irritating perhaps, but not at all rare. Now, most of us, seeing the word Thursday misspelled on a cafe chalkboard, would shake our heads, possibly mutter something about the state of education in America and continue on our way.

But what else would you do? Would you walk inside and ask the manager or owner if you might just swap the misplaced U and the R and turn Thrusday, T-H-R-U-S-D-A-Y, back into the correctly spelled Thursday, T-H-U-R-S-D-A-Y? Well, Jeff Deck did just that.

On a cross-country trip with his buddy Benjamin Herson, they identified ask permission to fix more than 400 homonym mix ups, wandering commas and plain, old typos. His new book coauthored with Herson is "The Great Typo Hunt: Two Friends Changing the World, One Correction at a Time." Jeff Deck joins us from the studios of New Hampshire Public Radio in Concord, New Hampshire. Jeff, nice to talk with you.
    Now I want to go on my own typo hunt.

speaking of misplaced apostrophes, did you guys read this article from npr?

the great typo hunt

i had an english teacher in high school who cut her hand/broke her wrist (something like that) when she was trying to fix a typo on one of those big markee sign things (like they have in front of churches with the saying) in front of a business. she was very proud of that story.

EDIT : i just noticed soulquake beat me to the story!

[]

When you get a softdrink at a fastfood restaurant, and the lid isn't closed properly, and you go to take a drink, and it spills out onto your clothes!

The sound of someone walking in heels/noisy shoes. Just no!