Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Little Tour Best Of

Strange Little Tour Best Of

So, I've collected some of the best sounding recordings of this amazing tour and made a playlist. Since I'm enjoying it so much, I'd like to share it with you. I've chosen songs from the clearest sounding bootlegs, so that you can distinctly hear her voice and the piano; some sound so good that it's almost as if she's singing right next to you. Even if they're all HQ (256kbps, mostly), I couldn't find the original flac, so some songs are too loud, probably because the person who originally ripped them messed with the EQ, and some other songs are badly cut, so that you can hear the first notes of the next song at the end. These are not necessary the best performances of the songs, but most of them are stunning. A couple of songs, like Philadelphia, sound less good, but I just couldn't do without them.

https://we.tl/pSWWCsoz0U

1. Past the Mission (Clearwater)
    2. Doughnut Song (Clearwater)
    3. Northern Lad (Clearwater)
    4. Black Dove (Oakland)
    5. Butterfly (Salt Lake City)
    6. Flying Dutchman (Oakland)
    7. Cruel (London)
    8. Suede (London)
    9. Lust (Clearwater)
    10. Marianne (Cleveland)
    11. Boys in the Trees (Oakland)
    12. Icicle (Cleveland)
    13. Talula (Cleveland)
    14. Sugar (Cleveland)
    15. Pretty Good Year (Austin)
    16. Here in my head (Kissimmee)
    17. Bells for Her (St. Louis)
    18. Hey Jupiter (St. Louis)
    19. Philadelphia (Philadelphia)
    20. Lovesong (Dallas)
    21. Pandora's Aquarium (Boston)

Past The Mission has the best arrangement I've ever heard so far; it's a bit slower than usual and much darker, with those low rumbling piano riffs before each verse. It almost sounds like a funeral march, and the bridge is longer and a lot sinister, so much that when she sings "they found a body" it sends chills all over your spine.
    Northern Lad is not as strong as the version from Philadelphia, but it's sweeter and I love the way she sings the last "cause of the rain" and octave down.
    Black Dove is immaculate and ethereal.
    Flying Dutchman is INSANE. She belts the chorus and adds a crazy ending where she improvises around the original backing vocals harmonies.
    Cruel and Suede are played on the rodhes and are quieter and slower than usual, like creepy lullabies. They're from the second London show and she was sick that day, so her voice was deeper than usual; I love the way she went for lower notes instead of forcing her voice out, and without losing an ounce of expressive inensity.
    Lust may be the best version I've ever heard. It starts as sweet as a caress, but near the end it goes wild and becomes the angriest version of this songs she's ever performed, before getting all quite and smooth again.
    Boys in the Trees I think it's well known, again the best version of it. Sadly, someone turned up the volume a little too much, so it sounds a bit screechy. It's a pity, because the other songs from Oakland are not so loud, so I wish I could find the original loseless version.
    Pretty Good Year has that amazing bridge she did in 2001, that starts an octave lower and then goes up.
    Here in my head is the only song I took from Kissimmee, which is an excellent sounding bootlegs (apart for some crackling here and there) but unfortunately features a psycho who screams all the time like if she's being ripped open. I had to include at least this one, because the way she sings the "do you know" part is mind-boggling.
    Bells for Her is on the wurlitzer and has a beautiful little impro at the beginning.
    Hey Jupiter is one of the saddest versions of that tour. I love the way she repeats two times "and I thought I wouldn't have to be, with you, hiding", adding beautiful vocal flourishes.
    Philadelphia and Lovesong, you also all know them, and they're heartbreakingly beautiful.
    Pandora was glorious on that tour, and this is one of the strongest performances of it. She belts the ending and, at the end of the last "sound" she goes down in an quite dissonant way that is everything.

Hope you enjoy it.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Yay, thanks!!!! I love this tour!
    I will be safe in my frame.

Not The Red Baron from Dallas is so incredibly beautiful

Such a great collection! Thank you for sharing, @Carey.

@theycallmejosef told me that Suede is on the wurly, not on the rhodes, just a little collection. And yes, NTRB from Dallas is amazing, but the sound of that bootleg is not as clear as others.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    @theycallmejosef told me that Suede is on the wurly, not on the rhodes, just a little collection. And yes, NTRB from Dallas is amazing, but the sound of that bootleg is not as clear as others.
    Whoops, did I tell you that? If so, I meant to say that "Suede" gets played on the Rhodes while "Cruel" is done on the Wurlitzer.

This is wonderful, thank you Carey.

Wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmejosef View Post
    Whoops, did I tell you that? If so, I meant to say that "Suede" gets played on the Rhodes while "Cruel" is done on the Wurlitzer.
    My bad! I got confused!

I stumbled upon this video on YouTube and I've literally watched the whole thing from start to finish, and I felt like I was there. She was absolutely next-level in 2001. So many incredible performances in this one concert. I wish I had been at one of those gigs.

Dallas 2001

Last edited by Rabih; 11-14-2017 at 10:59 AM.

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    @Carey this is a great list! Would you be able to reupload this? I missed out.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I want this too!! Best incarnation of Past the Mission EVER. She opened with it (after 97B&C) at my show in Wallingford (I have the bootleg but it's not great quality)... it was like a revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Pandora was glorious on that tour, and this is one of the strongest performances of it. She belts the ending and, at the end of the last "sound" she goes down in an quite dissonant way that is everything.
    This might be my favourite Tori live moment ever. I literally am listening to this performance every day and that moment at the end where she just fills her lungs and blasts out the last 'sound' with that feline grace and confidence is absolutely everything. Amazing.

Oh I just noticed this thread and got so excited to download this amazing setlist but unfortunately the link doesn't work anymore... Would be amazing if somebody could repost it!

(I'm downloading Clearwater anyway being a Past the Mission bridge fanboy, need to hear it right now)

Edit. I heard it. Omg.
    Last edited by mich.; 12-08-2017 at 09:38 PM.

can I get a re-up of this pretty please?!