Thread: Acting Careers that surprisingly fizzled out

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar

Acting Careers that surprisingly fizzled out

Did you ever see an actor or actress and think that they'd have an amazing career with many box office successes .... and now you don't even know if they're even acting at all anymore?

For me I have two actresses that I thought had a considerable future ahead of them:
    Thora Birch. Maybe it's not so surprising that Thora Birch isn't "Scarlett Johansson" status if you believe in the American Beauty curse. A curse that many on IMDB, back when IMDB had a soul, felt hurt the young cast members... Where is Wes? Anyone seen Mena Suvari?

But Thora had a lot of real promise. She was one of the few American actresses that I felt could actually pull of a realistic English accent in that movie.. was it called The Hole??? Anyhow, I really thought Thora was going to have many Academy Award nomination in her future and.. now she could be retired from acting as far as I know.

Another actress that i thought was just going to explode into stardom was Sophia Bush. A very attractive actress who seemed to have a really good range, as far as I was concerned. I think Sophia just never got onto a good vehicle for the type of career I anticipated for her. I don't know.

A weirder mention is an actress who stole someone's roles. This is just a conspiracy theory of mine, that has no conspiracy part at all except Sienna Miller was getting really good roles for a while. Then all the sudden this new actress came to the scene and started getting parts I thought would be perfect for Sienna. That actress, Carey Mulligan... got parts in DRIVE, SHAME... the list goes on. I only bring this up as an addendum because I feel like it was a real phenomenon.

So those are my two/kinda three. Any you have to add to this list?
    Last edited by Volta; 10-19-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Thora Birch is still working, though she had a pretty meager patch between 2005-2015. She's got four upcoming projects according to IMDB.

Mena Suvari has been working consistently and has a pretty extensive resume in mostly TV.

Wes Bentley was in Hunger Games, Interstellar and American Horror Story: Hotel.

Didn't the whole Jude Law nanny-scandal really hurt Sienna Miller's career? Although her resume is actually pretty strong. But there is something a bit... anonymous about Sienna to me. She's a good actress, but I kinda forget what she looks like between seeing her in things.

Yeah, Wes Bentley seems to have made a pretty strong comeback. Apparently, he was in recovery for substance abuse for a while, hence the break in his career.

I haven't enjoyed Sienna Miller's work in anything, but I wouldn't complain if Carey Mulligan's career were to fizzle out as well. I think she's dreadfully boring and her one, all-purpose facial expression just gets on my last nerve.

If we're talking about actors who deserve better careers than the ones they have at the moment, the list is very, very long: Jennifer Connelly is one of the most beautiful women in the world and brilliantly talented but her post-Oscar career has been lacking in interesting roles. Michelle Pfeiffer is an icon, but Hollywood is clueless when it comes to women over 50 not named Meryl Streep. Naomi Watts had a huge breakthrough in Mulholland Drive but her work since hasn't held true to that momentum. Andrea Riseborough and Mia Kirshner should be in everything, but they're becoming increasingly hard to find, instead.

Overall, I think career resurgences tend to come to male actors more often. Just look at Michael Keaton or Robert Downey, Jr., both of whom returned with a vengeance after large stretches of inactivity. It was very well-deserved in both cases, and I honestly hope there'll be more stories like theirs in the future.

I want way more Connelly and Kirshner. (Jenny Schecter)
    My face screams without an emotion

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    I was so smitten with Greg Kinnear in As Good as It Gets. If it weren't for Robin Williams I knew he'd've won the Oscar. I kept wishing he got a leading role in another substantial vehicle.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

Yes, why is Jennifer Connelly always so overlooked? So many parts I think she'd had been perfect for.
    She has the chops. She has this gorgeous speaking voice that could be on an ASMR video. She is incredibly gorgeous and has her own look. There isn't anyone who looks like her 'cept maybe Dita Von Teese (in the face) and maybe only slightly the lead actress from the Matrix films.

I just wonder if she pissed a studio off or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoodlefish View Post
    I was so smitten with Greg Kinnear in As Good as It Gets. If it weren't for Robin Williams I knew he'd've won the Oscar. I kept wishing he got a leading role in another substantial vehicle.
    Wasn't Tori on his talk show when he had a talk show? I think Greg Kinnear is super conservative (Republican), too. Or is that Lieutenant Dan? I get those actors mixed up sometimes.

And I totally forgot Wes was in AHS or Interstellar. Geeze.

Yeah, Gary Sinise (Lieutenant Dan) is apparently highly conservative, not sure about Kinnear. And, yes, with everything we've been hearing about Weinstein recently, I can't help but wonder how many actresses have been pushed to the side by angry studio heads over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    maybe only slightly the lead actress from the Matrix films.
    Speaking of whom, I was going to add Carrie-Anne Moss to this list. She apparently has worked through the years, but somehow nothing that would've generated a lot of press for her. I'm currently watching the second season of HUMANS and it's so good to see her in something again. She just has this amazing charisma.

Veronica Cartwright - after Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, she went on to Alien, but got the wrong part as she thought she was going to play Ripley but got the Lambert part. She did some nice stuff after that, including cherry spitting in The Witches Of Eastwick but I always thought she could've become bigger

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I just sat through Sienna Miller's attempt at acting in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof on the West End and I am in no way surprised that she hasn't had a massive film career.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    And, yes, with everything we've been hearing about Weinstein recently, I can't help but wonder how many actresses have been pushed to the side by angry studio heads over the years.
    Mira Sorvino. She wrote an article about her Harvey experience (excellent article, BTW), and in it said that she felt her career suffered because she told him no. And I've always been surprised that she never became a huge star after she won her Oscar. I mean, she's absolutely gorgeous (still is at 50, unsurprisingly), she's very versatile, seemingly very kind (and, incidentally, genius-level smart), etc. I mean, she had (has) it all, so it seems obvious something happened. And I'll bet it was Harvey, the bastard. I mean, she's had a good life; she has kids, she's done a lot of work fighting sex trafficking, and she has worked over the years. But it's sad to think of what could have been. And think of all the people we may have never seen at all, because they refused to fuck some troll on the way up. It's disgusting.

And yeah, I always wondered about Wes Bentley, but I guess he went down particularly hard on the dope. But he's been clean and sober for about eight years now and working plenty. He may never be the star he could have been, but he's a really great comeback story.

This thread has me trying to remember some actor/actress that I thought of the other day as to what had happenned to them. But just off the top of my head, John Cusack comes to mind.