Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cambridge Analytica - the dark money-go-round. (Trump, Brexit, etc.)

New today: Ukip whistleblowers raised fears about Breitbart influence on Brexit. Actual UKIP members so concerned about foreign money in the campaign that they alerted authorities. Breitbart and CA are linked by Bannon.

Going back a bit, this from April, before the UK General Election. Arron Banks founded the Leave.EU group, which bought services from Cambridge Analytica.

The cost of building databases, money poured into third-party campaigns, offshore spending – these were either largely or totally unregulated. There is no longer any way, with current legislation, of guaranteeing a free and fair election.

Or as Banks puts it: “We were just cleverer than the regulators and the politicians. Of course we were.”

He didn’t break the law, he says. He “pushed the boundary of everything, right to the edge. It was war.” And later: “You’re looking for a smoking gun but there’s a smoking gun on every table! And no one cares. No one cares!”
    There was a good delve into Banks' finances fairly recently, I can't find it in my bookmarks so will have to dig about a bit, but it's also a good read regarding the UK/Brexit side of this mess.

Update on that story from today, @carolecadwalla identifies Robert Mercer's lawyer in the thick of it (also spotted with Farage in Trump's golden elevator).

Last edited by Pete!; 10-30-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Good times are rolling.

Always nice to see Pete! back again. *subscribes*

Hey Nancy, thanks! I hope you're well.

LOOOOONG read here, but totally worth it. Will post for interest in the DJT thread too, but there's some deep stuff about UKIP's connections to Russia going back to one of its founders, Gerard Batten MEP, whose interventions may have got Alexander Litvinenko killed.

Still, given everything that's happening this week, this is perhaps the most interesting bit of information:

While Cambridge Analytica itself is under the spotlight, along with its shady management (Steve Bannon and Robert Mercer), their activity beyond Trump and Brexit is no less interesting.

In the last few days events in Saudi Arabia have taken a turn which was unexpected by many, however, the writing was on the wall a long time ago when the inexplicable Qatar crisis began in the region. What we now know, however, is that Cambridge Analytica acted to support Russian interests in the region, having been engaged as a Foreign Agent to promote “Blockade Qatar.”

Read more at:https://www.byline.com/column/67/article/1929

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    It's like something from the pen of John le Carré. I love this shit, when it's fiction.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

More Mifsud.

A bit more detail from Carole Cadwalladr in The Guardian.

Boris Johnson met ‘London professor’ linked to FBI’s Russia investigation
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Electoral Commission is now going to investigate spending in the EU referendum; lots of talk about AggregateIQ, which is linked to CA, although this article doesn't make the connection (possibly to avoid CA calling the lawyers?).

I'm really hoping this lands Johnson and Gove royally in the shit.

Congratulations Carole! :-)

^ That's great, she really deserves it.

Further developments as a millionaire backer confirms Vote Leave redirected his donation, raising even more questions for the Electoral Commission:

Hedge fund manager Anthony Clake told the Guardian that he had intended to give the money to Vote Leave, as the official leave campaign, but was encouraged by the group not to do so because “they were close to their spending limits”.

Instead, Clake was advised to give the money to Darren Grimes, who had a separate spending limit as an independent pro-leave campaigner. Grimes passed the money straight to a social media consultancy also hired by Vote Leave. Under UK electoral law, it could be an offence if Vote Leave colluded with Grimes to pass the money to the consultancy, which is called AggregateIQ.

Grimes is already facing an Electoral Commission inquiry over whether his spending was co-ordinated with Vote Leave.

Ooh, today is a good day!

Well. Less terrible than usual.

Ukip to face tribunal over use of data in EU referendum campaign.

“We are concerned about invisible processing – the ‘behind the scenes’ algorithms, analysis, data matching, profiling that involves people’s personal information. When the purpose for using these techniques is related to the democratic process, the case for a high standard of transparency is very strong,” said Elizabeth Denham, the information commissioner, in an update on the ICO’s website.

Denham said more than 30 organisations, including AggregateIQ, a little-known Canadian firm that received millions of pounds from the leave campaign, were under scrutiny. While some were cooperating, she said, “others are making it difficult”.
    'Ave it, you shady shits.