Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cambridge Analytica - the dark money-go-round. (Trump, Brexit, etc.)

Good times are rolling.

Always nice to see Pete! back again. *subscribes*

Hey Nancy, thanks! I hope you're well.

LOOOOONG read here, but totally worth it. Will post for interest in the DJT thread too, but there's some deep stuff about UKIP's connections to Russia going back to one of its founders, Gerard Batten MEP, whose interventions may have got Alexander Litvinenko killed.

Still, given everything that's happening this week, this is perhaps the most interesting bit of information:

While Cambridge Analytica itself is under the spotlight, along with its shady management (Steve Bannon and Robert Mercer), their activity beyond Trump and Brexit is no less interesting.

In the last few days events in Saudi Arabia have taken a turn which was unexpected by many, however, the writing was on the wall a long time ago when the inexplicable Qatar crisis began in the region. What we now know, however, is that Cambridge Analytica acted to support Russian interests in the region, having been engaged as a Foreign Agent to promote “Blockade Qatar.”

Read more at:https://www.byline.com/column/67/article/1929

It's like something from the pen of John le Carré. I love this shit, when it's fiction.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

More Mifsud.

A bit more detail from Carole Cadwalladr in The Guardian.

Boris Johnson met ‘London professor’ linked to FBI’s Russia investigation
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Electoral Commission is now going to investigate spending in the EU referendum; lots of talk about AggregateIQ, which is linked to CA, although this article doesn't make the connection (possibly to avoid CA calling the lawyers?).

I'm really hoping this lands Johnson and Gove royally in the shit.

Congratulations Carole! :-)

^ That's great, she really deserves it.

Further developments as a millionaire backer confirms Vote Leave redirected his donation, raising even more questions for the Electoral Commission:

Hedge fund manager Anthony Clake told the Guardian that he had intended to give the money to Vote Leave, as the official leave campaign, but was encouraged by the group not to do so because “they were close to their spending limits”.

Instead, Clake was advised to give the money to Darren Grimes, who had a separate spending limit as an independent pro-leave campaigner. Grimes passed the money straight to a social media consultancy also hired by Vote Leave. Under UK electoral law, it could be an offence if Vote Leave colluded with Grimes to pass the money to the consultancy, which is called AggregateIQ.

Grimes is already facing an Electoral Commission inquiry over whether his spending was co-ordinated with Vote Leave.

Ooh, today is a good day!

Well. Less terrible than usual.

Ukip to face tribunal over use of data in EU referendum campaign.

“We are concerned about invisible processing – the ‘behind the scenes’ algorithms, analysis, data matching, profiling that involves people’s personal information. When the purpose for using these techniques is related to the democratic process, the case for a high standard of transparency is very strong,” said Elizabeth Denham, the information commissioner, in an update on the ICO’s website.

Denham said more than 30 organisations, including AggregateIQ, a little-known Canadian firm that received millions of pounds from the leave campaign, were under scrutiny. While some were cooperating, she said, “others are making it difficult”.
    'Ave it, you shady shits.

This all kicked off over the weekend, and there's more to come: "I made Steve Bannon’s psychological warfare tool." This is incredible stuff; Chris Wylie has the receipts, literally, to the tune of millions of dollars, proving that Cambridge Analytica amassed psychographic data on millions of voters, in order to apply their brand of "informational dominance" during the 2016 election and EU Referendum.

Facebook faces mounting pressure, with a Parliamentary investigative committee preparing to call Mark Zuckerberg to give testimony. That will be fascinating to watch, perhaps even more compelling than Rupert Murdoch's appearance before the Leveson Inquiry.

Channel 4 News will tonight broadcast an undercover investigation, a film of CA CEO Alexander Nix talking candidly about what his firm can and will do; Cambridge Analytica has been trying to halt the broadcast.

Don't underestimate how huge this is. Perhaps the key paragraph from the Wylie piece:

Russia, Facebook, Trump, Mercer, Bannon, Brexit. Every one of these threads runs through Cambridge Analytica. Even in the past few weeks, it seems as if the understanding of Facebook’s role has broadened and deepened. The Mueller indictments were part of that... If there is evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, it will be in the platform’s data flows, he says. And Wylie’s revelations only move it on again.

I would pay good money for front row seats to see Zuckerberg grilled in Parliament.

Here's the interview C4 did with Chris Wylie on Friday.

Big up The Graun and C4!

And there’s this:

Aleksandr Kogan, the Cambridge University academic who orchestrated the harvesting of Facebook data, had previously unreported ties to a Russian university, including a teaching position and grants for research into the social media network, the Observer has discovered. Cambridge Analytica, the data firm he worked with – which funded the project to turn tens of millions of Facebook profiles into a unique political weapon – also attracted interest from a key Russian firm with links to the Kremlin.

Energy firm Lukoil, which is now on the US sanctions list and has been used as a vehicle of government influence, saw a presentation on the firm’s work in 2014. It began with a focus on voter suppression in Nigeria, and Cambridge Analytica also discussed “micro-targeting” individuals on social media during elections.
    Wylie couldn’t understand why Lukoil was so interested in the political implications of his data mining machine and not in the commercial applications of it, but my guess is it’s because Lukoil just passed what they learned on to the Kremlin.

But Christopher Wylie, who helped found Cambridge Analytica and develop the company’s voter-profiling technology, said Lukoil showed interest in how the company used data to tailor messaging to American voters.

“I remember being super confused,” said Mr. Wylie, who took part in one of the Lukoil meetings.

“I kept asking Alexander, ‘Can you explain to me what they want?’” he said, referring to Mr. Nix. “I don’t understand why Lukoil wants to know about political targeting in America.”

“We’re sending them stuff about political targeting — they then come and ask more about political targeting,” Mr. Wylie said, adding that Lukoil “just didn’t seem to be interested” in how the techniques could be used commercially.

Though Lukoil is not state-owned, it depends on Kremlin support, and its chief executive, Vagit Alekperov, has met with Mr. Putin on a number of occasions. Reuters reported last year that Lukoil and other companies received instructions from the state energy ministry on providing news stories favorable to Russian leadership.
    Why is literally everyone in the US government and tech/social media industry now two degrees or less away from Russia?

If anyone needs a reason to delete Facebook (as if there weren’t enough), this is it. And I’m afraid there will be revelations about Twitter soon.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    The only good thing I have to say about this is at least this tanks Zuck's presidential ambitions.