Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 2018 Albums

I love Nicole Dollanganger! You're So Cool is SO Lana (but still pretty great), though I do think the rest of her stuff is different enough in aesthetic that it doesn't feel like a rip off even it was inspired in part by Lana.

She definitely takes things to a darker place than Lana does and the Gummo reference is pretty on point.

Speaking of Nicole, I suppose it's topical to post in this thread that her record "Heart Shaped Bed" is supposedly going to be out soon, though she's definitely the kind of artist where soon is an indefinite and loose term.

Also YAY Tina Dico!!!
    Last edited by Domandapiano; 08-05-2018 at 04:55 AM.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I think Heart-Shaped Bed has been "coming soon" for a couple years now? It sucks because Natural Born Losers was her first solid album IMO. I like the earlier acoustic stuff too, but sometimes the lyrics are so on-the-nose it feels like a parody ("love is like getting fucked with a knife" etc) But then I'm now reading that all 4 of the first albums were recorded while she was home on bed rest from being sick with anorexia, so maybe I'll listen to them again with that in mind.

This is her best track IMO, and look! Someone used clips from Gummo...

I contemplated mentioning that track as one to listen to if someone wanted somewhere to start with her. It's depressing and sad in the most satisfying way. Natural Born Losers was my intro to her and I love half of it and feel meh about the other half, but the songs I love I love a lot and still listen to pretty regularly. I've heard a handful of older songs but I've never listened to her other full length stuff.

I really like the first 5 songs from Heart Shaped Bed, particularly the title track.

^WTF, the album is OUT?! I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Wow, it's been out since March too. *downloads*

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    ^WTF, the album is OUT?! I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Wow, it's been out since March too. *downloads*
    She just released the first 5 songs! Not the whole thing yet. She called it a teaser.

Ugh this is why Claire Boucher needs to get back to promoting and supporting good artists instead of you-know-who.

Lisa Gerrard and David Kuckhermann released Hiraeth today
    You can listen to the song Rite of Passage here:
    Last edited by CC; 08-06-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    "American Tradition" is, imo, one of the best songs of the last five years. Melancholy, classic and stark.

Re: Lana--This may be an odd comparison, but I've always thought of her as being really similar to Sade, in that she (to borrow Perky's language) mastered her aesthetic early-on and has such a distinct style. Plus, with both artists you pretty much know what you're getting when they release something, but they completely own it.

Always have a soft spot for Guster, and particularly enjoying their two song sampler out today in advance of a new album on the way.

https://guster.bandcamp.com/album/ha...nt-go-single-2

Did someone order some glitchy, low fi, analogue, techno goodness?

Helena Hauff - 'Hyper-Intelligent Genetically Enriched Cyborg'
    Last edited by beanstew; 08-07-2018 at 08:03 PM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Anyone else think that Be The Cowboy is gonna shoot Mitski straight through the fucking roof?

There’s a drooling review at Consequence of Sound. And this is my favorite tweet of the last few days.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama