Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Albums

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete!
    I'm always going to want to listen to new music, new artists, but I don't have the time or inclination to hoover up every last morsel I can, and I'm less frustrated by that now than I used to be.
    Yep! I'm much more inclined now to spend my time listening to whatever I feel like listening to at the moment. If that means I want to play the same three songs on a loop instead of listening to whatever's new and shiny, so be it. I spend less time than I used to deep-diving into labels or entire back catalogs unless I feel like following that rabbit hole. If I do, it's to satisfy an active curiosity rather than fulfilling a need to be a completist. This also means that most new albums get fewer chances to grab me than they used to during the days when I'd repeatedly listen to some of them in the hopes that they'd click with me. My time is not unlimited, my country is a fucking trash fire, and I want to spend my personal time engaging with things I actively like, not trying to trick myself into liking things that I think I "should" like. Shoulds don't exist for me with regard to music (or other art) anymore. I keep lists of stuff I want to hear as a way to remember what's out there, not as some weird contract with myself to Hear All The Things.

All that said, I listened to the brand new Beach House album. It is tremendous and I hope they keep making music for ages.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Listening to this on repeat pretending it's 1994 and fascism was something that happened decades ago and if you need to call someone there's always a phonebooth somewhere.

I totally missed that Margaret Glaspy had a new EP out in March (vinyl out today!). I really liked her debut - not quite love but a very, very solid like - but Before We Were Together is top notch.

^ Great news! I love Margaret!

On a first stream at work the LUMP (Laura Marling and Mike Lindsay) album is sounding fantastic. Picking up a CD and seeing them play an in-store gig this evening so very excited for that!

ETA:

Laura J. Martin and Hannah Peel are on it as well!
    Last edited by beanstew; 06-01-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

About time!

Anna Calvi - Don't Beat the Girl out of My Boy (Official Video)
    Last edited by beanstew; 06-06-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Yay!
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

A few posts back I linked to "Tangerine Tree" from this album, released last week... I have the whole thing now and it's AWESOME. This is gonna be my '90s throwback of the year like Tamaryn's Cranekiss. If you like Cocteau Twins, Lush, Tamaryn, PJ Harvey, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Anna Calvi, and would enjoy hearing those artists in different degrees swirled throughout the same album, then Laura Carbone's Empty Sea is for you.

Yep.

The real deal.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Yep.

The real deal.
    The Itunes description simply says "A protege of Helium's Mary Timony makes crush-worthy indie pop." I hit download before I even finished the sentence.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

Listened to Snail Mail twice on the way into work on the streamings and will buy a CD at lunchtime. Love!

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Reallllly enjoying the new NIN album Bad Witch. The last three mini albums really show Trent trying some new stuff and it is wonderful.

Loving first listen to the new Sarah Blasko album, Depth of Field.

I like Anna Calvi but holy shit her album covers have been hideous lately. That TEXT..... UGH.

I'm really into the new Neko Case, which is odd, because I've never been a superfan though I like to check out her new stuff once in awhile. I may have listened to Hell-On more than any of her other albums already. The art direction with the burning cigarette crown really got my attention.

NIN's latest is crazy, like some really wild '80s post-punk. "Play the Goddamned Part" is pure Pop Group.

I only listened to the first two tracks on SOPHIE's latest...but I can confidently say this is the new sonic innovator ingenue who everyone is going to have an opinion on and/or try to imitate. "Ponyboy" is fucked up. I need time to process, but I look forward to more zany sonic adventures with Ms Sophie.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 06-23-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Yay! I Marissa.

New Marissa, new Emma Ruth Rundle too

Now we need a new song from Chelsea Wolfe to complete the trifecta