Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tori Concert Experiences - Let's twalk!

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar

Tori Concert Experiences - Let's twalk!

Especially memorable shows, highlights, lowlights, worst set lists, best set lists, band shows versus solo shows.... what has been noteworthy about your Tori concert experiences? Let's chat! I'll start:

My first show was DDI, Seattle, 1st show, 1996. I was so young then I was basically a sperm with pimples! The thing I will never forget about it was her spellbinding performance of Little Amsterdam. Holy fucking shitballs it was insanely good. Completely arresting.

I saw 4 shows during the ADP tour. NYC 1, NYC2, Seattle, and Portland. Across the board, my least favorite Tori shows ever. Couldn't deal with the doll thing really, and the band did her no favors on that tour. The songs frequently sounded identical. She was constantly drowned out. The jumpsuits and the wigs... I honestly wish I had attended fewer shows. Tori and I were not getting on very well during the ADP phase.

My favorite show was UG, Portland (Zoo!), 2014. The venue was fabulous, the weather was amazing, there were elephants, and she was just so alive and seemed to be having so much fun. It was pure joy and a blissful experience.

I won front row seats and a chance to meet her backstage on the NoH tour, Seattle, 2011. She played Garlands that night and I really regret that I (somehow, I cannot even imagine how) had never heard the song before then, if I HAD heard the song before then, I would have been INSANELY happy to get it live. But I think it kind of went over my head, and I didn't appreciate what I was hearing. Meeting her was super weird and painfully awkward for me because I LITERALLY LOST THE ABILITY TO SPEAK. Tori and my partner discussed our menu for Christmas dinner. He's not a fan like I am (though not a hater), so it was easy for him, Tori could be our neighbor, and a tax attorney instead of a rock star. Green beans, ham, and cornbread. She fully approved.

I've seen many other shows, but as a starting point, this is what comes to mind.
    Last edited by grapefruit_is_winning; 11-03-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: punc.tu!a;i*on/

I'll have to think about specific concert experiences because there are quite a few, but here's something else for starters:

Two years ago I met her and had a particularly awkward encounter. There was a time before this tour when I would open my mouth and say something incredibly random to her because I didn't know how to start. So, that one time I told her how beautiful her glasses were (I have a thing for eyewear myself) and noticed a stain on the glass itself. Of course I couldn't help but mention it, simultaneously trying to find a way to become invisible. Either way, she reacted surprised, took off her glasses, searched for the stain, literally held it against the light, put back the glasses on and said: "I'm gonna get this later, thanks for letting me know." Isn't this the most bizarre thing one could do? And then there was that time I walked her through railway construction zones when I didn't realise the phrase "How's travelling?" for what it is. Her patience and benevolence are unmatched.

I usually have to travel to shows, so I've never been able to attend a M&G because I don't want to force my travel companion to sacrifice most of a day on vacation just so I can say "hi" to Tori. But in 2005 my show was on a Sunday in Copenhagen. Turns out, Denmark shuts down most Sundays. Since there was very little to do on the town that day, we went to the venue early and shortly after we arrived word got around that Tori was doing the M&G out back. After vacillating for a while I went out back but it was clear the line was too long for me to have a chance of meeting her. So I watched from the side lines. Still the closest I've been to meeting her.

these days just seem to crush me
    In 2001, i was more of a casual tori fan. I bought tickets to her show in chicago just kind of randomly and asked my friend to go with. the show changed me and my fandom forever. it sounds cheesy to say a show was 'life-changing' but it really was. you kind of had to be there to know what i mean.

First time I saw her live was in 1998. I was completely blown away by her musicianship and voice. Since then I went to one show every tour, except for 2001 (alas). From the show in 2005 I remember that I was sitting very far away from the stage and that I was impressed but bored at some point.

I don’t care very much for ADP and AATS, but I really enjoyed the show in Amsterdam in 2007. Love the band and the concept. My only Tori concert that wasn’t seated. It was fun. 2009 was a bit repetitive of 2007 but hearing Space Dog with a band live totally made up for it.

I was really looking forward to the 2010 show with the Metropole Orchestra. I remember
    I was shocked of her vocals the first three songs. It got better though and the orchestra played fantastic. In an interview Tori explained that she couldn’t keep up with the orchestra. I didn’t buy tickets for another orchestra show. But she practised her ass off, got some extra breathing space and she was in top shape. Regret...

Another highlight was the NOH show in Amsterdam. Loved the quartet. Suede, Siren, Gold Dust and Star Whisperer spring to mind, brilliant! The UG show in Carre was also stellar with a fantastic set and strong performances of BR, LA, TR, LE, Frozen, Oysters and Weatherman. She was in topform that night. So lucky to be at those shows.

Last time in Utrecht her lower register was powerful but she struggled with her upper register and the transitions between the two. Towards the end, Mark had to help with some more effects. The setlist was not really my cup of tea either. Allthough I loved to hear Cooling and Reindeer King I just couldn’t get the overly dramatic way she sang Pancake and TR for example, the heee’s, the repeating sentences, it irritated me.

Oddly enough, I don’t remember anything from Scarlet’s tour in Brussels. Not a thing. So strange. She played a lot of songs I love, according to the set list I looked up. Even Sugar. I thought that was still on my wishlist.

Hopefully it’s not the last time I get the chance to see her live. She’s such a diverse and fantastic artist.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Edited 12/2/17

I've seen 17 shows beginning in 1998 and ending in 2017.

Highlights as follows - these are the top eight shows I've seen in order of date.

1) First time I saw Tori was during the Plugged Tour. I was blown away by how much energy she and the band had. She played at what used to be called the Rosemont Horizon with a seating capacity of 18,500. After performing i i e e e Tori said it was the largest place she'd ever performed at and told us that she might "pee in her pants."
    I was unfamiliar with a lot of her catalogue at that time so when she played Sugar I went crazy. Hearing it for the first time felt as if I had just been shot out of a rocket into orbit. The plugged version of Sugar is in my top five favorite Tori songs.

2) Strange Little Tour - Arie Crown Theater. The best setlist of any show I've seen in terms of covers and b-sides. She played Real Men which is my favorite Tori live cover and Doughnut Song which is my favorite Tori song. Here's the full set:

3) I saw three shows during the OSW tour and one show during the Lottapianos tour at various venues. Scarlet's Walk is my favorite Tori album and I loved everything about this era: the songwriting, her tour look (yes, I adored the shower curtains), the artwork, her passion and playfulness within the trio, the long setlists - at two of the shows she played 23 songs and at the other two she played 25. She performed Pancake and I Can't See New York at all four shows - Pancake is in my top 5 favorite Tori songs and ICSNY in my top 20. She was definitely at her peak in terms of songwriting and performances.

4) Native Invader tour - Chicago Theater. This show is a highlight for me for a few reasons. Tori was in a great mood and very chatty with the audience. Of the 17 songs played 4 are in my top 20 favorites. When she started playing Yes, Anastasia I blanked out for a moment because I couldn't place the song and then I couldn't believe my ears when I realized what she was playing. I think it's Tori's best song of all time and it's in my top 5 favorites. (Best song and favorite song have different meanings to me.) She played Russia and Breakaway which are my 2nd and 3rd most played songs off Native Invader. When she performed Take To The Sky we were all standing up and when Tori asked us to sing along I not only sang but I danced a bit too - something I've never done at a Tori Amos concert before.

5) Native Invader tour - Ikeda Theater. This is the last show I've attended. Three things: 1) I met Tori the day before in San Diego and requested Climb which is my #2 most favorite Tori song of all time. I told her I flew from Chicago to see her play in CA and AZ. She didn't play Climb in San Diego but she did play it in Mesa and I was so so happy. 2) I expected her to play Precious Things to start the encore but she decided to debut Bang instead which is another song off NI which I love and the performance was absolutely perfect. 3) For the first time in my life after seeing Tori perform periodically over a time spanning 19 years I very unexpectedly managed to get the setlist for the show and was absolutely over the moon about it.

Lowlight - This is the only really sub-par show I've seen.

American Doll Posse tour - Auditorium Theater. Looking back on it I have no idea why I attended this show. Songs included: Body and Soul, Dragon, Code Red, Big Wheel, and Secret Spell and I dislike them all. Then 1) because of the time it took her to do the costume change from "Santa" to "Tori" and 2) because she fucked up Hotel and had to redo it she was running so far behind that she rushed through the encore and I have never seen her bolt out of a show so fast in order to make curfew. The overall performances didn't make up for the fact that I really just don't care for this album as a whole and the songs I DO like off ADP such as Father's Son, Beauty of Speed, Bouncing Off Clouds, Girl Disappearing, and Almost Rosey weren't on the setlist.

Glastonbury 1998 was obviously bigger, if that counts, I tealise its different than her own show.

Quote Originally Posted by iwo1333 View Post
    Glastonbury 1998 was obviously bigger, if that counts, I tealise its different than her own show.
    There were two stages and multiple artists at Glastonbury which is a festival setting. Not the same thing as my show.

Kala, she played Madison Square Garden in 98 which is bigger than Allstate/Rosemont by a few thousand, but Rosemont was her first big arena on that tour. It’s so funny reading your post. You and I have had pretty much the same Tori tour schedule for the last 20 years. I was even sitting in your same row for Native Invader but over in 3R. Too bad you missed her in ‘94 and ‘96. I have yet to see a live show come close to those experiences. Did you see her in ‘05 at Pritzker? I hated everything about that album and tour except for that show. I think the insanely beautiful venue had a lot to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagojeff View Post
    Kala, she played Madison Square Garden in 98 which is bigger than Allstate/Rosemont by a few thousand, but Rosemont was her first big arena on that tour. It’s so funny reading your post. You and I have had pretty much the same Tori tour schedule for the last 20 years. I was even sitting in your same row for Native Invader but over in 3R. Too bad you missed her in ‘94 and ‘96. I have yet to see a live show come close to those experiences. Did you see her in ‘05 at Pritzker? I hated everything about that album and tour except for that show. I think the insanely beautiful venue had a lot to do with it.
    Oh. I didn't know she played MSG - I'll amend my post. Yes, I did see her at the Pritzker Pavillion - it is a lovely venue and I enjoyed the show very much. Some of the song highlights were: Sugar, Past the Mission, Bells for Her, Carbon, Spring Haze, God/RUTH, and her cover of The Rose. I wasn't too crazy about Sleeps With Butterflies though. Also, she looked super gorgeous - I loved her dress. That was the last time I saw her until she morphed into Fori.
    I would have LOVED to have seen her in '94 and '96 but I didn't really become a big fan until a bit later.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    @Kala, I also give Yes Anastasia best song creds! It's just so fucking epic and brilliant. And not to start a war here or anything (opinions differ! it's all good!) but when people say that Kate Bush is a superior songwriter and musician to Tori, or that Tori is derivative of KB, in my mind I'm like "So where's KB's Yes, Anastasia?" But I digress.

I adore Pancake too - she should be playing it constantly on this tour!

Also, 18,500 seat venue?! JC! Did she sell out?!

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I adore Pancake too - she should be playing it constantly on this tour!

Also, 18,500 seat venue?! JC! Did she sell out?!
    @grapefruit_is_winning - I 100% agree about Pancake. I don't know if it sold out. We had great seats - 5th row over to the left. Just an A+ concert experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    I was unfamiliar with a lot of her catalogue at that time so when she played Sugar I went crazy. Hearing it for the first time felt as if I had just been shot out of a rocket into orbit. The plugged version of Sugar is in my top five favorite Tori songs.
    The Chicago '98 show is largely known for including the all-time debut of Plugged Sugar. At least with that version, you literally couldn't know it! The b-side version is kind of anemic, and the live performances before 98 largely resembled it. At this point, even when doing it solo, she's basically doing a solo version of the Plugged incarnation. Anyway, that's a great debut to have witnessed!

^ i might be alone in this but I’ve never been that crazy about Sugar with the band...for me the definitive version will always be the one on the Hey Jupiter EP. that was my first exposure to the song though and I am definitely someone who tends to prefer the first version I hear of a song I fall in love with.

I just signed up for a dummy Facebook account just so I could do my stats on Toriset.org. This tour’s show was apparently my 15th time seeing her, which amounts to 154(!) unique songs. Providence 1998 was my first show..I had just got into her when the Dew Drop Inn Tour was happening and I so regret not going but I was too young to drive myself at that point. Aside from tour staples like Precious Things and Cornflake Girl, my most played songs are Take to the Sky and Space Dog at 6 times each. Also the only album I’ve seen performed in full is Choirgirl, which is a great one to have seen obviously. I’m one song away from Scarlet’s Walk (just missing the title track after seeing her do Gold Dust this tour).

If I had to pick an all-time favorite show it would probably be Boston 2001..that’s the show where she did Please Come to Boston (an all time favorite along with a Philadelphia from that tour) and also a bunch of favorites of mine like Upside Down, TIYH, Daisy Dead Petals (which was a spontaneous request shouted from the audience) Cool on Your Island (2001 tour versions were so good) and then the 2nd encore which was Honey, Marianne, and Pandora. like holy fuck. The runner-up would be Providence 99 solo, which included Juarez and Suede both solo piano, Smells like Teen Spirit, Lovesong and Never Seen Blue and was just all-around amazing.

My top 5 I’ve never seen but hope to in the future:
    Beulah Land
    Blood Roses
    Flying Dutchman
    Josephine
    Yes Anastasia

A Lotta Pianos Tour 03 in Canandaigua was my first show. (I was 15!!). Being my first, it will always be special, but I also just loved this tour - Matt and Jon were great - the lighting was good - Tori looked and sounded awesome. The venue was a gorgeous amphitheater in upstate NY where I grew up, and it was the perfect summer night. Something about it was just magical. Biggest "stupid me" moment is not liking "Hotel" at the time, but now I would love love love to hear that live. All reminds me of the @ days.

Caught one show on ADP in Syracuse, special as the setlist was great (IMO) and I did make it to a M&G and requested "Northern Lad" which she did play. The photo from that M&G is amazing, she's wearing her bright orange wig, and I was having an awkward phase where I thought dying my hair black looked good. We look like we both have wigs on.

I managed to see the NPR show at LPR in NYC in 2012, thanks to a friend at NPR. Definitely the most special/intimate Tori show I've gotten to see. The setlist was all over the place though - as I think many know from the webcast. I remember being distracted the whole time by this couple next to me who were embracing each other loudly sobbing the WHOLE show - no joke, gasps and grunts and all. Cool experience, but certainly not my stand out. Also - if you were the sobbing couple... fuck you. Other regret was bringing my bf at the time who could give less of 1 fuck about TA.

Still processing the two NYC shows last week - which will always be special for some reasons I'd rather not share - but in all, that's it. I was late to the Tori game (SW was my first in-store purchase) and then I skipped everything after ADP and dove back in on this cycle.
    Last edited by scottslean; 11-13-2017 at 07:47 PM.